Are atheists born or made?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

harvey1
Prodigy

Are atheists born or made?

Post #1

Post by harvey1 »

I think there's a reasonable case to be made that some people have a physical predisposition toward atheism. Having talked to atheists for many years I notice a preference to these points as being reasonable beliefs:

1) Something can come from absolutely nothing.
2) There could exist a cause for every effect going back in time without any beginning.
3) Fine-tuning presupposes a design objective that when nature is properly understood does not exist so there is no coincidence problem with the physical constants.
4) Consciousness is merely electrochemical processes in the brain that results (or is identical with) consciousness that is itself causally efficacious as an emergent system of the brain.
5) Etc.

Now each of these beliefs strike me as ridiculous once we get to the nitty gritty as to what they actually mean. But, surprising to me, atheists continue to defend these beliefs, and not only defend they often expect others to think it is irrational to deny them.

So, given that these are often intelligent folks making these claims, this leads me to ponder whether there is a physical predisposition to see the world atheistically. It seems that there is reason to believe this is the case.
People say of the last day, that God shall give judgment. This is true. But it is not true as people imagine. Every man pronounces his own sentence; as he shows himself here in his essence, so will he remain everlastingly -- Meister Eckhart

William
Savant

Re: Are atheists born or made?

Post #51

Post by William »

Tcg wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:16 am
William wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:56 am

Theism maintains the belief in the idea that we exist within a creation [implying some type of creators(s)] while atheism takes the opposing belief.
Atheism does NOT take the opposing belief. It simply lacks the belief theism requires.

Tcg
Are you saying that atheism does not believe that we do not exist within a creation? If not, what are you saying? :? I have not argued that atheism lacks the same belief as theism. I have argued that atheism believes the opposite of theism.
One could also state that theism lacks the belief atheism requires [that we do not exist within a creation] but in both cases that is obviously what differentiates both positions, so to state the obvious is moot...

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #52

Post by bluegreenearth »

William wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:26 am

Theism maintains the belief in the idea that we exist within a creation [implying some type of creators(s)] while atheism takes the opposing belief.
Atheism does NOT take the opposing belief. It simply lacks the belief theism requires.

Tcg
Are you saying that atheism does not believe that we do not exist within a creation? If not, what are you saying? :? I have not argued that atheism lacks the same belief as theism. I have argued that atheism believes the opposite of theism.
One could also state that theism lacks the belief atheism requires [that we do not exist within a creation] but in both cases that is obviously what differentiates both positions, so to state the obvious is moot...
For clarification... is it your perspective that a lack of belief in the claim that we exist within a creation is equivalent to affirming the belief that we do not exist within a creation?

William
Savant

Post #53

Post by William »

bluegreenearth wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:29 pm
William wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:26 am

Tcg
For clarification... is it your perspective that a lack of belief in the claim that we exist within a creation is equivalent to affirming the belief that we do not exist within a creation?
We exist and are existing within something [the universe]. Theists claim that the universe is a creation. Atheists [non theists] claim it is not a creation.

In both cases, belief is part of the basis for said claims.

If you do not claim either, then you are agnostic.