Is Brain a medium or the cause of consciousness?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Swami
Sage

Is Brain a medium or the cause of consciousness?

Post #1

Post by Swami »

Western materialism is full of assumptions when it comes to consciousness. The mainstream view is that the brain causes consciousness. This view also says that consciousness is limited to brain in that you can't have one without the other.

In contrast, another view is the brain is a medium for consciousness. This view is compatible with everything in the mainstream except that consciousness is not isolated to the brain. It can exist in other mediums just like software can exist or be transferred to other hardware, even simple hardware.

Why accept the speculative mainstream view over the alternative view?

Tcg
Savant

Re: Is Brain a medium or the cause of consciousness?

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

Swami wrote:
It can exist in other mediums just like software can exist or be transferred to other hardware, even simple hardware.

This is fascinating news. What hardware has consciousness been transferred to?

What is the simplest hardware that has been use to accomplish this transfer?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Swami
Sage

Post #3

Post by Swami »

For the hyperskeptics...scientists claim that robots and computers may one day be conscious. If true, this means that consciousness can exist in mediums other than brain tissue.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

Swami wrote: For the hyperskeptics...scientists claim that robots and computers may one day be conscious. If true, this means that consciousness can exist in mediums other than brain tissue.
So what? :-k

The structure of the information needs to be PERFECTLY preserved including all of the current brain activity. And the new medium needs to be able to allow the PERFECTLY preserved structured information to be able to continue to maintain precisely the same type of activity that it had been performing within the brain.

In other words, if we are ever able to pull this off, we will have demonstrated precisely the opposite of the non-sequitur conclusions you are currently jumping to.

Science will have finally demonstrated that conscious is indeed a property of structure and function of the material medium.

Just the opposite conclusion you were hoping to jump to without any valid reasoning.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

Swami wrote: For the hyperskeptics...scientists claim that robots and computers may one day be conscious. If true, this means that consciousness can exist in mediums other than brain tissue.

Your basing your argument on something that hasn't yet happened. More importantly, even if this does happen, it wouldn't support your claim that consciousness can be transferred.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

Tcg wrote:

Your basing your argument on something that hasn't yet happened. More importantly, even if this does happen, it wouldn't support your claim that consciousness can be transferred.

Tcg
Truly. In fact, it's highly questionable that a consciousness could be "transferred".

If we can copy a brain and the new brain is just as conscious as the original brain, then we will have created a new consciousness, especially if the original brain is still alive and conscious.

On the other hand, if the process is destructive and destroys the original brain in the process then why should we think that we had "transferred" the consciousness when what we might have actually done is destroy one consciousness to create a brand new one that just happens to have all the same memory and experiences of the original?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Swami
Sage

Post #7

Post by Swami »

Tcg wrote:

Tcg
I am stating two views. I did not argue for one or the other in the topic post. Please provide your response to the debate question. Take this time to offer more than opinion.

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

Swami wrote:
Tcg wrote:

Tcg
I am stating two views. I did not argue for one or the other in the topic post. Please provide your response to the debate question. Take this time to offer more than opinion.

The argument I am referring to is your claim that consciousness can be transferred to hardware. Take time to support this claim with something more substantial than conjecture based on what may happen in the future.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Swami
Sage

Post #9

Post by Swami »

Tcg wrote:
Swami wrote:
Tcg wrote:

Tcg

The argument I am referring to is your claim that consciousness can be transferred to hardware. Take time to support this claim with something more substantial than conjecture based on what may happen in the future.

Tcg
You are misunderstanding my view and this is beginning to become a distraction. You have not answered the debate question which does not involve any argument. It is a "question".

Swami
Sage

Post #10

Post by Swami »

[Replying to post 4 by Divine Insight]

If consciousness can exist in mediums different than brain, then he brain is not needed. This opens the door to panpsychism.