Cult predicts end of the world...again...

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Daedalus X
Apprentice

Cult predicts end of the world...again...

Post #1

Post by Daedalus X »

How many times must a religion be wrong before we can ignore its dire predictions?

Here is 50 years of bad predictions - https://cei.org/blog/wrong-again-50-yea ... redictions

So, can we categorize climate activism as a faith, as described in this short video? -

Which is not to say that there is no legitimate climate science, rather can we separate the science from the faith and hysteria?

Daedalus X
Apprentice

Post #11

Post by Daedalus X »

Neatras wrote: [Replying to post 5 by Daedalus X]

That was a plant by die-hard rightwing activists.
That was an academy award winning performance!

Now, compare it to this excellent performance.

Daedalus X
Apprentice

Post #12

Post by Daedalus X »

Danmark wrote: He's just guessing at what the rest of us consider good behavior.
What makes "the rest of us", the moral arbitrators of the world. If the rest of us thinks it is moral for the 99% to steal from the 1%, then is it moral?

Do you believe that any action can be made "good", if enough people consider it good?

As for Trump being amoral. Rocks and plants are amoral, people are not. All people have morals, and if their morals contradict our own morals then they are called immoral. Some of trumps morals include stopping unlawful entry into our country, legal immigration for skilled and educated workers, promote general law and order, rule against abortion, tax cuts for workers, stand up against any attacks against himself and his family and friends, peace between nations, human rights and human dignity, support people who live under brutal oppression, stop criminalizing homosexuality, and stand in solidarity with LGBTQ people who live in countries that punish, jail, or execute individuals based upon sexual orientation, also championing the role of women in our societies, protecting religious freedom etc.

I don't agree with all of Trumps moral values but on the whole they are not all that bad.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Danmark »

Daedalus X wrote:
Danmark wrote: He's just guessing at what the rest of us consider good behavior.
What makes "the rest of us", the moral arbitrators of the world. If the rest of us thinks it is moral for the 99% to steal from the 1%, then is it moral?
Again with the false assumptions/claims. Support your wild assertion that 99% of us think it is moral to "steal" from the 1%. Support or withdraw.

I can only guess you may be referring to taxation. The power to tax is not the equivalent of stealing. Historically, the 'rich' have gotten that way by birthright or by exploiting the powerless or taking advantage of infrastructure that the 99% have built. Unionization and taxation are simply ways to compensate the majority for excesses of the rich. That is what a democracy, particularly a social democracy, is all about.
Read about feudalism if you have some doubt. Read Lewis' The Jungle. Read something. So far your wild statements have all the authority of someone who has never read anything.

Daedalus X
Apprentice

Post #14

Post by Daedalus X »

Danmark wrote:
Daedalus X wrote:
Again with the false assumptions/claims. Support your wild assertion that 99% of us think it is moral to "steal" from the 1%. Support or withdraw.

I can only guess you may be referring to taxation. The power to tax is not the equivalent of stealing. Historically, the 'rich' have gotten that way by birthright or by exploiting the powerless or taking advantage of infrastructure that the 99% have built. Unionization and taxation are simply ways to compensate the majority for excesses of the rich. That is what a democracy, particularly a social democracy, is all about.
Read about feudalism if you have some doubt. Read Lewis' The Jungle. Read something. So far your wild statements have all the authority of someone who has never read anything.

Daedalus X
Apprentice

Post #15

Post by Daedalus X »

Danmark wrote: So far your wild statements have all the authority of someone who has never read anything.
That is precious, the person comparing me to someone that has never read anything, can't even read a simple statement. I will write it again, try reading it.

If the rest of us thinks it is moral for the 99% to steal from the 1%, then is it moral?

How does someone win 2013 Best Debater, and not know that an if-then statement is not a false assumption/claim and therefore does not need to be supported or withdrawn.

It is a simple question, it asks if it were the case that that "the rest of us" thinks it moral for 99% of the population to steal from the remaining 1%, then would thinking it to be so make it so?

As for Trump being amoral. I will assume that your lack of response to that part of my post means that you now realize that he is not amoral and that he does hold a lot of the same positions that we think are moral. Naturally you may dispute my assumption if you wish to do so.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Danmark »

Daedalus X wrote:
Danmark wrote: So far your wild statements have all the authority of someone who has never read anything.
As for Trump being amoral. I will assume that your lack of response to that part of my post means that you now realize that he is not amoral and that he does hold a lot of the same positions that we think are moral. Naturally you may dispute my assumption if you wish to do so.
You can assume all the nonsense you want. You can assume your blather is not worth responding to. You can assume you are fortunate I pay any attention to you at all. 99% percent of the forum does not. Trump's amorality is obvious. But perhaps I am too kind. BY August of this year he'd told more than 12,000 lies since his election*; bragged about sexually assaulting numerous women, and confessed to withholding Congressionally approved aid in order to coerce foreign governments to investigate his political rivals. I say he is amoral rather than immoral because he does not seem to comprehend the level of ignominy he has stooped to.

As long as you are assuming, you can assume if I do not respond to any more of your bilious inaccuracies it is because your feckless nonsense is not worthy of response.

marco
Savant

Post #17

Post by marco »

Moderator Intervention

Danmark and Daedalus X, I think we have reached a point from which we should not continue, as the epithets and comments are as close to incivility as one gets.

Rules
C&A Guidelines

Moderator interventions do not count as a strike against any posters. They are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels that some sort of intervention is required.