Cult predicts end of the world...again...

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Daedalus X
Apprentice

Cult predicts end of the world...again...

Post #1

Post by Daedalus X »

How many times must a religion be wrong before we can ignore its dire predictions?

Here is 50 years of bad predictions - https://cei.org/blog/wrong-again-50-yea ... redictions

So, can we categorize climate activism as a faith, as described in this short video? -

Which is not to say that there is no legitimate climate science, rather can we separate the science from the faith and hysteria?

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #2

Post by OnceConvinced »

We should always be ignoring them. I don't know why people give them the time of the day. It should just be laughed at and then we move on.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Danmark »

There have been 2000 years of bad predictions and false prophesies, starting with the clear prediction of the failed apocalyptic prophet, Jesus of Nazareth. I revere and try to follow the values of that great man, but if his prophesy of "I'll be right back" is correctly attributed to him, he was a failure in the prediction dept.

The false, Bible based apocalyptic predictions have never stopped during those 2000 years. Hal Lindsay's Late Great Planet Earth was big back in the 70's. 1988 was the date he gave for the end of the world. He's revised it several times since.

The numerous false predictions are one of those arguments, that even standing alone, refute the entire fundamentalist Christian doctrine.

Daedalus X
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by Daedalus X »

[Replying to post 3 by Danmark]

Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. Matthew 16:28

This verse makes it clear that the writer of Matthew did not expect his gospel to have a shelf life over a hundred years, much less 2000.

Daedalus X
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Daedalus X »

Th climate cult does not seem to have a problem with eating children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMkiaPyRv70&t=0s

Daedalus X
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Daedalus X »

[Replying to Danmark]

One point about great moral teachers. They are a dime a dozen, in fact we are all great moral teachers. We all know what is moral and immoral, no one needs to be taught morals, we just need to be reminded, every now and then, to actually do what we know is right.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Danmark »

Daedalus X wrote: [Replying to Danmark]

One point about great moral teachers. They are a dime a dozen, in fact we are all great moral teachers.
That's a stretch. A great moral teacher lives according to those great morals. Not only are they not "a dime a dozen," but we all can list many examples of people who are or have been the exact opposite of "great moral teachers," starting with the current occupant of the White House.

Daedalus X
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by Daedalus X »

Danmark wrote: A great moral teacher lives according to those great morals.
I live according to my own great morals, as do you and others. Even the orange man lives according to his own great moral values and spends days and nights making America great. Equality, liberty and fraternity (among other things) are just not a part of his moral values, and it would be the height of arrogance for me to insist that he should hold my great moral values as his.

For example, I think we should devote as little resources as possible to mentally challenged children and devote as much as is possible to mentally gifted children. To most people this is not moral at all. But, this gives us a stronger future as we will get more gifted children who will contribute more to society, instead of more challenged children who will never contribute anything other than the companionship of human pets.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Danmark »

Daedalus X wrote:
Danmark wrote: A great moral teacher lives according to those great morals.
I live according to my own great morals, as do you and others. Even the orange man lives according to his own great moral values and spends days and nights making America great. .
I can't tell if you are serious about anything you post. But the orange man has no morals. He is amoral as opposed to immoral. He's a classic sociopath. He is still trying to learn how to be human he hasn't a clue. He's just guessing at what the rest of us consider good behavior. Example, he liberally uses profanity that would get him banned here a hundred times over, but he won't say 'jock strap' because that might be objectionable. He has no internal compass.

So, no, he is not like the rest of us.

Neatras
Guru

Post #10

Post by Neatras »

[Replying to post 5 by Daedalus X]

Miss the news cycle? That was a plant by die-hard rightwing activists. They even claimed credit for it.
Indeed, one could define science as reason’s attempt to compensate for our inability to perceive big numbers... so we have science, to deduce about the gargantuan what we, with our infinitesimal faculties, will never sense. If people fear big numbers, is it any wonder that they fear science as well and turn for solace to the comforting smallness of mysticism?
-Scott Aaronson