How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
otseng
Savant
Posts: 18583
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:16 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 212 times
Contact:

How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Many NASA scientists think we're on the verge of finding alien life.

Ellen Stofan, NASA's former chief scientist, said in 2015 that she believes we'll get "strong indications of life beyond Earth in the next decade and definitive evidence in the next 10 to 20 years."

Many astrophysicists and astronomers are convinced that it's not a matter of if we'll find life — it's when.
https://www.businessinsider.com/nasa-pl ... de-2019-11

Questions for debate:
- How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?
- What empirical evidence is there that any extraterrestrial life exists?
- What are the implications if extraterrestrial life exists or do not exist?

User avatar
otseng
Savant
Posts: 18583
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:16 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 212 times
Contact:

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #131

Post by otseng »

Quantrill wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:53 pm maybe you should just keep your mouth shut about God.
:warning: Moderator Warning


This is a needless and uncivil comment.

Please review our Rules.

______________

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

User avatar
Clownboat
Savant
Posts: 8153
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:42 pm
Has thanked: 154 times
Been thanked: 318 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #132

Post by Clownboat »

Quantrill wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:53 pm
Clownboat wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:04 pm
This being the science sub forum, we should not be subjected to read through things you happen to believe in.

If you can support your beliefs, that would be something. Since you cannot, you are out of your realm and it would be better suited to Holy Huddle where your beliefs will not be questioned.

What you believe is irrelevant and quite frankly uninteresting. It matters not if a Muslims believes that Muhammed flew to heaven on a winged horse and it matters not if you believe humans were once smurfs or whatever nonsense you choose to believe (until you can show you speak the truth of course).

Perhaps you would be willing to attempt to show that your beliefs have merit? Now that would be interesting! Christians on soap boxes being proud of whatever they happen to believe in is not interesting. You are no different than a Muslim celebrating their chosen belief system, which is ok, just not appropriate here.
Let's see...you asked the questions in post #(91) that I entered into. Because it isn't going your way you now say this is just a science forum.

If you just want to talk about science and not God, maybe you should just keep your mouth shut about God.

Quantrill
Because it isn't going my way? That's what you think? Let us be real...
Just look at your response to my post 91.

Quantrill: "Angels are spirit beings. They are not extraterrestrial in that they are involved as much with earth as outside the earth.

Entrance to heaven is not based upon the speed of travel. You cannot see heaven through telescopes.
When you can see the end of the universe with a telescope, then ask that question.

Neither God or the angels are bound by the speed of light. Any desired speed needed is exercised."


I bolded your responses that are nothing more than things you believe that you spouted off in a science forum as if you know them to be the case. Besides one off handed comment, ALL was nothing more than you spouting beliefs.

You saying that things are not going my way is just you spouting another personal belief. As it was just illustrated, reality does not coincide with what you have decided to believe.
You will know them by their fruits!
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

User avatar
woodtick
Student
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:13 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #133

Post by woodtick »

Last edited by woodtick on Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DrNoGods
Guru
Posts: 1982
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:18 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Has thanked: 367 times
Been thanked: 886 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #134

Post by DrNoGods »

woodtick wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:33 pm [Replying to DrNoGods in post #128]
I come from a state that has had several abductions and sightings witnessed by police and fire. I've seen them, my sons have seen them, and they scare the heck out of people, and an entire Church outing in the 80's in Wilmot Flat, NH, including police, fire, etc. witnessed one hovering treetop high moving about 5 miles an hour. The same happened in Exeter where a young soldier was abducted.
I'm pretty sure that there has never been any verified case of a "UFO" being anything more than a case of mistaken identity (I put UFO in quotes because the acronym can cover many things that are not alien spacecraft of some sort, but the acronym has been used for so long to mean only that that it has become associated to alien spacecraft specifically). I know there have been many reported sightings of flying or hovering things that could not be identified, but as of yet not a single one of these has even been verified to be an alien spacecraft. Until that happens, a scientific interpretation would have to be that although it may be a possibility, the most likely explanation is that they are either terrestrial items that simply could not be identified at the time, or the result of imagination, inebriation, etc. There are many other things in this category (eg. Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, etc.).
Everything that surrounds them - what they do - is spiritualistic and demonic.

The creatures in UFO'S are fallen angels and the government knows it. They just don't want YOU to know it and what they want. After they 'die' they then become a demon of disembodied spirit.
It is a pretty big leap to assign these characteristics to something that has not yet been demonstrated to exist. If there ever is a case where a sighting is verified to be an alien spacecraft rather than just speculation, then you need to confirm that there are "creatures" inside them. That has also yet to be accomplished, so it is pure speculation on both counts (ie. that the flying object is indeed alien, and that some kind of creature exists inside).
If you don't believe in angels, then I won't waste my time explaining any more.
I don't believe in angels for the same reason I don't believe in leprechauns or unicorns ... they have never been demonstrated to exist. I don't know what a "fallen angel" is, but would put them in the same category. Science, the military, and other organizations have investigated many "UFO" sightings in the past and come up empty as far as any verification. I have a hard time believing that of all the reported sightings of alien spacecraft over many decades or centuries, that not one of them would have decided to land or attempt to communicate in any verifiable way if they were actually real. For a craft like this to make such a long and complicated journey to get to earth (we know that no such thing could have come from our own solar system, so at a minimum the journey would have taken at least 4.2 light years (closest star system to us) which is about 25 trillion miles away), you'd think the inhabitants would want to land and do some investigation, or communicate with the living things they'd see on the planet surface. But all we have are stories from people who saw something they could not identify, then made the assumption that it must have been alien without any solid evidence to confirm it. Speculation, misidentification, imagination, inebriation, or some combination of these, are most likely at work.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

Quantrill
Banned
Banned
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 7:41 pm
Location: Texas
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #135

Post by Quantrill »

Clownboat wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:47 am

Because it isn't going my way? That's what you think? Let us be real...


I bolded your responses that are nothing more than things you believe that you spouted off in a science forum as if you know them to be the case. Besides one off handed comment, ALL was nothing more than you spouting beliefs.

You saying that things are not going my way is just you spouting another personal belief. As it was just illustrated, reality does not coincide with what you have decided to believe.
You will know them by their fruits!
Your the one that asked the questions. I responded. If you don't want to know don't ask.

If you don't want answers from the Bible, don't ask the Christian questions about God. If your feelings are hurt and you can't take it, then, as the proverb goes, get out of the kitchen.

Reality?

Quantrill

Online
User avatar
Tcg
Savant
Posts: 7162
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 am
Location: Third Stone
Has thanked: 1292 times
Been thanked: 1516 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #136

Post by Tcg »

woodtick wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:09 am [Replying to Tcg in post #130]
Problem is if I do give you documentation would you believe it?
There is only one way to find out. Are you suggesting that you can provide the documentation I asked about?


Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists


Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc


I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

User avatar
DrNoGods
Guru
Posts: 1982
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:18 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Has thanked: 367 times
Been thanked: 886 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #137

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to woodtick in post #133]
Ever heard of William Cooper??? The video is poor but audio is good. I doubt you would believe even a word of it. He was murdered for disclosing what he did.
I read the Wikipedia page on this guy and he was killed in a shootout during an attempt to execute a warrant for his arrest, not for "disclosing what he did":

On November 5, 2001, Apache County sheriff's deputies attempted to arrest Cooper at his Eagar, Arizona home on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and endangerment stemming from disputes with local residents. After an exchange of gunfire during which Cooper shot one of the deputies in the head, Cooper was fatally shot.

Sounds like he was a real nut and peddled all kinds of conspiracy theories but never proved any of them (as is usually the case). Shooting a sheriff's deputy in the head while resisting arrest is likely to get someone killed whether they are conspiracy theorists or not.
I interviewed a man in the late 70's who was plagued with abductions for 15 years.


You personally interviewed someone who claims to have been abducted? If he was "plagued with abductions" for 15 years does this mean he was claiming repeated abductions over that time period, or was he claiming one abduction that then caused him mental problems for 15 years? Did he have mental problems prior to the supposed abduction? These kinds of stories never hold water when examined critically.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

User avatar
woodtick
Student
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:13 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #138

Post by woodtick »

Last edited by woodtick on Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
woodtick
Student
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:13 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #139

Post by woodtick »

Last edited by woodtick on Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Online
User avatar
Tcg
Savant
Posts: 7162
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 am
Location: Third Stone
Has thanked: 1292 times
Been thanked: 1516 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #140

Post by Tcg »

woodtick wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:15 pm
I usually just back out of these conversations because people are un-convince-able ...that is until they see one themselves!
I haven't seen one for myself, but I have seen these claims of yours:
woodtick wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:33 pm
I come from a state that has had several abductions and sightings witnessed by police and fire. I've seen them, my sons have seen them, and they scare the heck out of people, and an entire Church outing in the 80's in Wilmot Flat, NH, including police, fire, etc. witnessed one hovering treetop high moving about 5 miles an hour. The same happened in Exeter where a young soldier was abducted.
Given that you claim police, firefighters, and even a soldier was involved, there would be plenty of documentation of these events... if they were real. Have you overlooked my request for specific documentation related the these claims?


Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists


Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc


I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Post Reply