How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
otseng
Savant
Posts: 18569
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:16 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 211 times
Contact:

How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Many NASA scientists think we're on the verge of finding alien life.

Ellen Stofan, NASA's former chief scientist, said in 2015 that she believes we'll get "strong indications of life beyond Earth in the next decade and definitive evidence in the next 10 to 20 years."

Many astrophysicists and astronomers are convinced that it's not a matter of if we'll find life — it's when.
https://www.businessinsider.com/nasa-pl ... de-2019-11

Questions for debate:
- How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?
- What empirical evidence is there that any extraterrestrial life exists?
- What are the implications if extraterrestrial life exists or do not exist?

User avatar
woodtick
Student
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:13 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #141

Post by woodtick »

Last edited by woodtick on Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tcg
Savant
Posts: 7144
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 am
Location: Third Stone
Has thanked: 1272 times
Been thanked: 1504 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #142

Post by Tcg »

woodtick wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:13 pm
Your "documentation request" are unreasonable on a case that happened about 55 years ago.
Without this documentation, your claims are unreasonable. The bigger issue here is that the documentation I requested is the easy part. The hard part would be providing support for your claim that these extraterrestrial craft were piloted by fallen angels.

If there is no verifiable documentation of these visits and abductions, there is no need to discuss who or what were responsible for them.


Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists


Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc


I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

User avatar
brunumb
Prodigy
Posts: 3931
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:20 am
Location: Melbourne
Has thanked: 3000 times
Been thanked: 1635 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #143

Post by brunumb »

woodtick wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:13 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #140]
I knew that would be the type of reply I would get from you. What do you expect me to do, go to the police archives in Exeter and Kensington, NH and then mail it to you?
I would expect that someone trying to present a credible claim would do so with the relevant supporting evidence. Without that, the claims are nothing more than hearsay.
There's a book written about it called 'Incident at Exeter'. Google it yourself! Same with the guys from Maine who passed several lie detector test.
Irrelevant. Just because someone has written a book about a subject doesn't add any credibility to the event. People deeply invested in their favorite interests are not necessarily going to present a completely balanced view that avoids their own bias.
I've been in these type discussions before with people and they always end up fruitless.
By that do you mean that people are not compelled to believe on the basis of nothing more than third party unsupported claims? Present compelling evidence and you might get a different response.

The vast majority of UFO incidents have been explained in terms of purely natural phenomena, non-credible witnesses through to outright fakery. The remaining small percentage of unexplained phenomena does not mean that they are automatically due to aliens or spaceships or whatever. They are just unexplained due to lack of sufficient evidence.
You're on your own. Your "documentation request" are unreasonable on a case that happened about 55 years ago.
No, they are not unreasonable regardless of when the events allegedly occurred. It is up to you to make your case and that requires you to substantiate your claims. There have been millions of telescopes trained on the skies over the centuries by professionals and amateurs. Despite that, we have no definitive images of any allegedly alien craft. Very telling.
I'm done with this thread.
Understandable.
Christianty: 2000 years of making it up as you go along.

User avatar
Clownboat
Savant
Posts: 8139
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:42 pm
Has thanked: 142 times
Been thanked: 309 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #144

Post by Clownboat »

woodtick wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:13 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #140]
I knew that would be the type of reply I would get from you. What do you expect me to do, go to the police archives in Exeter and Kensington, NH and then mail it to you? There's a book written about it called 'Incident at Exeter'. Google it yourself! Same with the guys from Maine who passed several lie detector test. Google it and do your own homework. I've been in these type discussions before with people and they always end up fruitless.

You're on your own. Your "documentation request" are unreasonable on a case that happened about 55 years ago.

I'm done with this thread.
From one of the links:
" UFO researcher Philip J. Klass considered Walton's story to be a hoax perpetrated for financial gain and discovered many "discrepancies" in the accounts of Walton and his co-workers. After investigating the case, Klass reported that the polygraph tests were "poorly administered", that Walton used "polygraph countermeasures," such as holding his breath, and that Klass uncovered an earlier failed test administered by an examiner who concluded the case involved "gross deception"."
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

User avatar
Peter
Guru
Posts: 1304
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:46 pm
Location: Cape Canaveral
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #145

Post by Peter »

[Replying to otseng in post #1]
I suspect we will find living extraterrestrial life where liquid water currently exists or evidence of extraterrestrial life where liquid water once existed. However, we may never find intelligent extraterrestrial life given the distances involved and the speed of light.
Religion is poison because it asks us to give up our most precious faculty, which is that of reason, and to believe things without evidence. It then asks us to respect this, which it calls faith. - Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
We_Are_VENOM
Guru
Posts: 1161
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:33 am
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #146

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

otseng wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:58 pm - How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?
Hard to gauge.
otseng wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:58 pm - What empirical evidence is there that any extraterrestrial life exists?
None that I am aware of.
otseng wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:58 pm - What are the implications if extraterrestrial life exists or do not exist?
The implications are that if God created extraterrestrials with free will, then it is only right that we assume that there has to be an atonement system for them, too?

So could Jesus have been sent on a rescue mission to Universe X, manifesting as an alien to identity with them and ultimately die for their sins as well?

:D
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

mgb
Guru
Posts: 1666
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:21 pm
Location: Europe
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #147

Post by mgb »

DrNoGods wrote: But these normal people can drink alcohol, do drugs, or "enhance" their imaginations in other ways. They don't necessarily have to be mentally disturbed.
A quick perusal of the case histories will show you that they are normal people; housewives with children, ordinary workers etc. They are not drug addicts.
Dirigibles are man made, and do not originate from outside of our solar system. Someone may see one and identify it as a "flying saucer", but that is my point ... they see something flying which they cannot identify, and therefore it fits the acronym UFO. But it is not an extraterrestrial UFO, it is a man made UFO (to the person who couldn't identify it).
The dirigibles of the late 19th century have many things in common with flying saucer reports. A typical scenario would be: a hapless witness is walking along a country road. S/he happens across a dirigible that has broken down and the occupants need help. A strange hypnotic experience occurs in the witness (Jenny Randles calls this the 'Oz Factor'). The witness 'helps' the pilots of the craft and the craft, now 'fixed' goes on its way.

The truth is that the dirigible/flying saucer is not broken down. This is a ruse to draw the witness in. What are the chances of a malfunctioning saucer making an emergency landing on the SIDE of the road? Why not in a field or wooded area? Roads would only take up less than 1% of the landscape but the saucers/dirigibles always seem to break down in a convenient place, just as the witness arrives. Something suspicious here. There are many parallels between dirigible and flying saucer accounts. They are the same thing.
Thousands may have been studied, but not one has been shown to be from the landing of an extraterrestrial craft of some sort. Pure speculation.
Read about landing traces and the various physical effects that have been studied. If you argue that flying saucers are of this world you must also argue that dirigibles are and they did not have flying saucer technology in the late 19th century.
You claim to know a quite a bit about these supposed visitors and how they think. How did you come across this information?
Common sense goes a long way. Why, if they are studying our natural world, would they let humans see them? There are plenty of remote areas where they could do these studies without being seen.
brunum wrote:What criteria are used to make the assessment that these are ordinary people?
Study the case histories. In one experiment a group of abductees were sent to a psychologist to be assessed. The psychologist did not know they were abductees and reported that they were normal. She was shocked when she found out they were abductees.
Last edited by mgb on Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

mgb
Guru
Posts: 1666
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:21 pm
Location: Europe
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #148

Post by mgb »

Clownboat wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:26 am " UFO researcher Philip J. Klass
Klass is a rabid ufo debunker. He'd say anything to make a case.

mgb
Guru
Posts: 1666
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:21 pm
Location: Europe
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #149

Post by mgb »

Peter wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:07 pm [Replying to otseng in post #1]
I suspect we will find living extraterrestrial life where liquid water currently exists or evidence of extraterrestrial life where liquid water once existed. However, we may never find intelligent extraterrestrial life given the distances involved and the speed of light.
Hynek suggested that they don't travel through physical space in the normal way and they come here via the Astral Plane or what is nowadays referred to as 'extra dimensions'.

User avatar
Clownboat
Savant
Posts: 8139
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:42 pm
Has thanked: 142 times
Been thanked: 309 times

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #150

Post by Clownboat »

mgb wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:08 am
Clownboat wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:26 am " UFO researcher Philip J. Klass
Klass is a rabid ufo debunker. He'd say anything to make a case.
Are you not a rabid UFO supporter who would say anything to support your case?
Pot, meet kettle.

"Klass uncovered an earlier failed test administered by an examiner who concluded the case involved "gross deception".
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Post Reply