How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Many NASA scientists think we're on the verge of finding alien life.

Ellen Stofan, NASA's former chief scientist, said in 2015 that she believes we'll get "strong indications of life beyond Earth in the next decade and definitive evidence in the next 10 to 20 years."

Many astrophysicists and astronomers are convinced that it's not a matter of if we'll find life — it's when.
https://www.businessinsider.com/nasa-pl ... de-2019-11

Questions for debate:
- How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?
- What empirical evidence is there that any extraterrestrial life exists?
- What are the implications if extraterrestrial life exists or do not exist?

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Re: How likely are we to find extraterrestrial life?

Post #101

Post by Quantrill »

Tcg wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:23 pm
Which would be great for a journal entry or something of the like.

This, however, is a debate sub-forum where posters are expected to support their claims with evidence. Repeatedly stating "By the Bible" isn't that.

Tcg
Let's see...we are in the category of 'science and religion'. As a Christian I believe I am part of a 'religion'. Therefore I give my Christian opinion which is based upon the Bible.

And I am quite willing to support my claims from the Bible.

If you believe I am in violation of forum rules, by all means report me. But when you do, make sure you ask that the category be changed to 'science only'. Because that is all that you really want.

Quantrill

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #102

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Quantrill in post #101]
Isn't that what is being asked ... that you provide support beyond a statement that "the bible says so"? The guidelines for this section state:

"This subforum is designed to foster debate on issues which intersect science and religion. While posters may certainly take positions based on religious doctrine, the Bible or other religious writings are not to be considered evidence for scientific claims."

If you are making a claim that can only be supported by a reference back to the bible, without any accompanying scientific argument or reference beyond the bible, then you are not providing support for your claims from the bible within the context of this forum section. It does not need to be renamed a "science only" section. If that were the case then religion would not be part of it at all, and the topics would be pure science topics that don't intersect with religion.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Post #103

Post by Quantrill »

DrNoGods wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:36 pm [Replying to Quantrill in post #101]
Isn't that what is being asked ... that you provide support beyond a statement that "the bible says so"? The guidelines for this section state:

"This subforum is designed to foster debate on issues which intersect science and religion. While posters may certainly take positions based on religious doctrine, the Bible or other religious writings are not to be considered evidence for scientific claims."

If you are making a claim that can only be supported by a reference back to the bible, without any accompanying scientific argument or reference beyond the bible, then you are not providing support for your claims from the bible within the context of this forum section. It does not need to be renamed a "science only" section. If that were the case then religion would not be part of it at all, and the topics would be pure science topics that don't intersect with religion.
Why should I care that others don't consider the Bible as evidence for scientific claims? Just as I don't care that Science is inept in adding anything of value to the Christian and the Bible.

Science offers nothing, yea or nay, concerning the Bible.

Yes, it would need to be renamed a 'science only' section as you are requiring 'scientific proof' for anything the Bible says. In other words you are not interested in 'religion and science'. You're interested in science. Thus you push for the 'scientific method of knowing' which is evidence and proof.

Quantrill

Tcg
Savant

Post #104

Post by Tcg »

Quantrill wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:45 pm
Tcg wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:23 pm
Which would be great for a journal entry or something of the like.

This, however, is a debate sub-forum where posters are expected to support their claims with evidence. Repeatedly stating "By the Bible" isn't that.

Tcg
Let's see...we are in the category of 'science and religion'. As a Christian I believe I am part of a 'religion'. Therefore I give my Christian opinion which is based upon the Bible.

If you believe I am in violation of forum rules, by all means report me. But when you do, make sure you ask that the category be changed to 'science only'. Because that is all that you really want.

Quantrill
This statement is taken directly from the Science and Religion Subforum Guidelines:

This should resolve your confusion concerning requests for evidence to support your claims.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Post #105

Post by Quantrill »

Tcg wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:45 pm
This statement is taken directly from the Science and Religion Subforum Guidelines:

This should resolve your confusion concerning requests for evidence to support your claims.

Tcg
I am not presenting what the Bible says as evidence for a scientific claim. As a Christian, I do present what the Bible says as true. When Christianity collides and disagrees with science concerning any subject, I believe the Bible.

For example, the flood of Noah. Many will argue for scientific proofs of it's existence. But everything about the flood of Noah is supernatural and miraculous. Everything. And I believe everything the Bible says concerning it. That is my faith and religion.

If you say I cannot just say that...but that I must prove it by science...then you are not allowing for religion. You are only allowing for science.

When science finds proofs for the flood I can agree with its findings. But it's findings are not why I believe the flood of Noah's day. Tomorrow science may well find something and change it's mind.

So, concerning extraterrestrial life, I have given my view based upon my religion, Christianity. Your view no doubt is based upon science and your faith in science.

Quantrill

brunumb
Savant

Post #106

Post by brunumb »

Quantrill wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:11 am For example, the flood of Noah. Many will argue for scientific proofs of it's existence. But everything about the flood of Noah is supernatural and miraculous.
Science has clearly established that the Noachian flood never occurred despite what some may believe. It is as supernatural and miraculous as Tinker Bell. No doubt, there are some who also believe that Tinker Bell is real.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #107

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Quantrill in post #103]
Yes, it would need to be renamed a 'science only' section as you are requiring 'scientific proof' for anything the Bible says. In other words you are not interested in 'religion and science'. You're interested in science. Thus you push for the 'scientific method of knowing' which is evidence and proof.
I think you are missing the spirit of this debate section, as defined by the guideline statement which has been quoted a couple of times in this thread. The key word in that description is "intersect." Noah's flood is a perfect example of a topic that is suitable for debate within this section, where scientific observations can prove that it did not happen as described in the bible. Biblical chronology says that it happened around 4300 years ago. Given that, science can look at the many, significant implications for such an event (water covering the entire earth to several meters above the highest mountains), the mechanism for it in terms of a source for that much water (there isn't such a source), etc. Collectively, scientific observations, measurements and analysis show that the story could not have happened as described, and when. Of course, a quick Google search can bring up countless articles and YouTube videos that delve into these details because it is such a common topic, and it has been covered many times on this website as well.

If you come back and say (as you did):
... everything about the flood of Noah is supernatural and miraculous. Everything. And I believe everything the Bible says concerning it. That is my faith and religion.
Then you take scientific consideration (and debate) out of the equation because you believe in miracles, and science does not deal in miracles.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

Mark Twain

Quantrill
Banned
Banned

Post #108

Post by Quantrill »

DrNoGods wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:13 am
I think you are missing the spirit of this debate section, as defined by the guideline statement which has been quoted a couple of times in this thread. The key word in that description is "intersect." Noah's flood is a perfect example of a topic that is suitable for debate within this section, where scientific observations can prove that it did not happen as described in the bible. Biblical chronology says that it happened around 4300 years ago. Given that, science can look at the many, significant implications for such an event (water covering the entire earth to several meters above the highest mountains), the mechanism for it in terms of a source for that much water (there isn't such a source), etc. Collectively, scientific observations, measurements and analysis show that the story could not have happened as described, and when. Of course, a quick Google search can bring up countless articles and YouTube videos that delve into these details because it is such a common topic, and it has been covered many times on this website as well.

If you come back and say (as you did):
... everything about the flood of Noah is supernatural and miraculous. Everything. And I believe everything the Bible says concerning it. That is my faith and religion.
Then you take scientific consideration (and debate) out of the equation because you believe in miracles, and science does not deal in miracles.
No, I'm not missing the point at all. Pluto used to be a planet, but science has changed it's mind. But, guess what. A few years from now, Pluto may be a planet again. Science can base it's conclusions only on what information it has 'today'. It is ever learning and ever changing it's mind.

I just used Noah's flood as an example. I am not interested in defending the flood of Noah's day. As I have said, it is miraculous from the start. Every aspect of it. Science says it didn't happen. Ok, so? Guess what, I believe it occurred just like the Bible says. You have your faith in science. I have my faith in God and the Bible.

I don't take scientific consideration out of the debate. You can draw your conclusions based on your faith in science. I draw my conclusions based on my faith in God and the Bible.

You say science disagrees with me....but science doesn't have all knowledge at this time. Does it? No, of course not. But your are willing to believe science because that is where your faith is.

You say science doesn't believe in miracles. That's fine. But Christianity does, which is my religion. In other words you negate my testimony which is based upon my religion, due to my belief in miracles. But because I negate your scientific conclusions due to your reliance only on science, which is limited in knowledge, you cry foul and say I am not playing fair.

You see, you have your faith, which is science. And I have mine which is God.

Quantrill

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #109

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Quantrill in post #108]
Pluto used to be a planet, but science has changed it's mind. But, guess what. A few years from now, Pluto may be a planet again.
This is just a classification adjustment. Pluto is still exactly the same rock it was before humans decided to reclassify it, and the science surrounding the rock and everything we know about is orbit and other properties did not change because it was reclassified by humans.
I don't take scientific consideration out of the debate. Science says it didn't happen. Ok, so? Guess what, I believe it occurred just like the Bible says. You have your faith in science. I have my faith in God and the Bible.
This is probably the most common thing theists do when confronted with science being at odds with a biblical story ... try to claim they are both faith based. It is a weak argument and never works. Science is not based on faith, but on observations, measurements, reproducibility, consistency, etc. It doesn't require faith to accept that the heliocentric theory of our solar system is correct. People used to believe the earth was the center of the universe and anyone who claimed otherwise risked threats and possibly execution by the church. But science showed that this interpertation was wrong by observing planetary movements and working out the math and dynamics of massive bodies which proved that the planets orbited a central star. There is no faith involved in accepting that an acid mixed with a base will produce a salt plus water, and there are countless other examples. Religious faith has no similar analogies ... it is belief without evidence and that is the gigantic difference. You take scientific consideration out of the debate by ignoring it in favor of the biblical narrative.
You say science disagrees with me....but science doesn't have all knowledge at this time. Does it? No, of course not. But your are willing to believe science because that is where your faith is.
Same weak argument that science is faith based. It isn't. Science does not set out to disprove biblical myths as some goal. But science can be applied to investigate the validity of a bible story like Noah's flood, and ask whether such an event is consistent with what we see in the world today (eg. the distribution and diversity of plant and animal life), and whether it could have happened based on the feasibility of the various circumstances required for it to happen (eg. where did the water come from). Looking at these items from a science perspective it is very easy to demonstrate that the event did not happen as described in the bible. To believe that it did happen, despite unambiguous scientific proof that it did not, is simply ignoring the science because you don't want to believe it, because it contradicts the bible story which you do want to believe. I don't "believe science" as a subjective choice (like religion). I believe the aspects of it which have been demonstrated to be correct, and there is no faith required.

Of course science does not have "all knowledge", and probably never will. It is a process of continuously learning about nature and refining what we do know to try and better understand the natural world and how it works. If something isn't yet known by science that just means it is still an open problem requiring further research. That is how the process works. And if science cannot yet answer a question or explain something, that does not mean that the answer defaults to the action of a deity of some sort. Science requires evidence, religion does not. A key fundamental difference.
You see, you have your faith, which is science. And I have mine which is God.
And yet again, the worn out retort that science is faith based just like religion. How do you think this helps your argument in any way? It is so clearly and obviously wrong that I'm surprised theists still use it.
John Paul Jones, 1779

Mark Twain

brunumb
Savant

Post #110

Post by brunumb »

Quantrill wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:57 pm I don't take scientific consideration out of the debate. You can draw your conclusions based on your faith in science. I draw my conclusions based on my faith in God and the Bible.
As soon as you invoke miracles you take scientific consideration out of the debate. Your conclusions are based on faith that the Bible is true but, unlike science, they are not based on knowledge and facts. There is no evidence to support the hypothesis that the Bible is a true record of our history, particularly in relation to exchanges with an alleged god. Scientifically derived theories are the culmination of human efforts involving experimentation, observation and exploration leading to provisional conclusions of how reality works. They were not just made up stories that got passed around and ultimately made it into a book.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.