Viruses as evidence

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Viruses as evidence

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Viruses serve no useful or even unuseful purpose.
They are ineffective as culling agents, can’t love God, or whatever, and cause little benefit, only harm.

Isn’t this good evidence against an intelligent creator? Something without a purpose?

Willum
Savant

Re: Viruses as evidence

Post #11

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 9 by William]

No, you shouldn’t rely on me, you should investigate independently, maybe there is something in the Bible?
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Willum
Savant

Post #12

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 10 by Purple Knight]

According to the Bible; to give glory to God.
Are you unfamiliar with the work?

elphidium55
Student

Unfamiliar with the bible?

Post #13

Post by elphidium55 »

According to the Bible; to give glory to God.
Are you unfamiliar with the work?

Wait, let me think. The bible -- where have I heard of that before. Is that the book where a god inflicts watery death on millions of innocent creatures and almost every person on earth? Is that the book that promises to unleash fiery death and disease at the end of days? Is that the book that pronounces a death sentence on every living person because our very, remote ancestors took a bite out of a forbidden fruit? Is that the book that white-washes the Canaanite genocide?

Yeah, I regret to say, I am familiar with this work. And, yeah, your right--it would not be out of character for the god of the bible to demand all sort of heinous beliefs from his followers. Including the belief that the purpose of the ebola virus is to give him glory.

But who in the world would worship such a being?

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Re: Unfamiliar with the bible?

Post #14

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 13 by elphidium55]

If the Bible is so bad, why don't you write us something better?

If God is so evil, why don't you describe to us how God should really be to meet your standards?

The Bible. :study: :D 8-)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by Purple Knight »

Willum wrote:Well, that was a good effort, but with rationale, anything can be manipulated for a purpose.
I was going to actually defend theism on this one and say that was itself a point in favour of a plan that included rationality.

However, honestly, I find the notion that all things must serve our purposes as men to be horribly selfish, myopic, and a terrible place to start to attempt to prove or disprove anything.

brunumb
Savant

Post #16

Post by brunumb »

Aetixintro wrote: [Replying to post 13 by elphidium55]

If God is so evil, why don't you describe to us how God should really be to meet your standards?

Your response does not really account for why the book allegedly inspired by God is so shoddy, or why the character of Yahweh is painted as an essentially merciless barbarian. A being capable of creating and fine tuning an entire universe is surely capable of applying the same skills to such an important publication. As it is, it bears all the hallmarks of having been produced by ignorant and superstitious human beings.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #17

Post by benchwarmer »

Aetixintro wrote: [Replying to post 13 by elphidium55]

As each story in the Bible is discussed in these threads on DC&R it has been pointed out many times how the stories could have been written 'better'.

As a basic start, don't fill your document with contradictions that require torturous word gymnastics to attempt to resolve. Don't use obviously dumb and in the end useless solutions to problems at hand i.e flooding the entire planet to get rid of bad people when simply vanishing the bad people would have been equally effective and far less destructive (other better solutions have also been discussed).

How about God following His own standards?? We are supposed to love even our enemies in one part of the book, yet in another it's OK to commit genocide so you can have a place to live.

As a final point, it is not required to write a better Bible to simply point out all the flaws in the current one. Do you go out and write a better version of every book you find distasteful? You are basically downloading your problem of following a faulty book on others and demanding they produce something better. I think a better solution is find something better yourself or don't. Up to you.

Willum
Savant

Post #18

Post by Willum »

Purple Knight wrote:
Willum wrote:Well, that was a good effort, but with rationale, anything can be manipulated for a purpose.
I was going to actually defend theism on this one and say that was itself a point in favour of a plan that included rationality.

However, honestly, I find the notion that all things must serve our purposes as men to be horribly selfish, myopic, and a terrible place to start to attempt to prove or disprove anything.
That'd be good, if that was what was claimed.

Willum
Savant

Post #19

Post by Willum »

I guess the conclusion, by the chaotic nature and conflicting posts, that viruses can not be seen to have a reasonable purpose in any plan, certainly not in the last 6000 years (?) of plan, and a reasonable person must conclude viruses are not part of any plan.

Therefore viruses can constitute evidence (not proof), for something without a purpose, and so not intelligently created.