Evidence For And Against Evolution

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Evidence For And Against Evolution

Post #1

Post by Miles »

Came across this little gem a bit ago and thought I'd share.

Thoughts?

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Evidence For And Against Evolution

Post #291

Post by Clownboat »

How many daughters have "fallen in love" with men that from the very start of their relationship harm them? It would be unloving of a parent not to warn that child of the harm that is going to befall them if they continue in this relationship.

No idea, but this still stands and was left unadressed:
To ostracize a subset of humanity when we are talking about something we hold dear for ourselves (like love and/or marriage), is wrong and evil.

I'm being very specific here and am talking about an activity I hold dear for myself, but you, you for some imagine reason I'm going to claim you don't qualify and cannot hold this activity that I value so much for myself. This thinking is evil IMO.

Is it possible for gay couples to marry and enjoy life just like I do and value with my wife? If it is impossible, I would love to hear why you think so. If it is possible and others would work to restrict such enjoyment from another human, then they are comitting an evil to do so and society should fight against such an evil being leveled against one subset of humanity. Even if it this evil is being committed out of ignorance or religious beliefs. No difference from where I stand.

You just can't hate... out of love!

I deserve to be with the one I love. You though! You, because you are tall or short, black, Asian, gay or religious etc... don't deserve to have what I hold dear is just wrong. If a higher percentage of let's say black Americans die from swimming accidents, would it really be OK to restrict black Americans from being allowed to swim? Seems like the argument you are making and it doesn't justify the evil I'm seeing.

I hold dear being with the one I love and any human able to hold dear such a concept should be allowed to IMO. Even if they have green eyes and green eyed people divorce at a higher rate.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #292

Post by EarthScienceguy »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #292]

No one is hating here. Every man is free to do as he chooses, but there are always consequences for the actions that we choose.

How are you defining "love?"

Is love a feeling or an action?

Is love something you fall into or is it a commitment you make?

If you are saying that love is nothing that you can control then there can be no such thing as a committed lifelong relationship in your worldview.

If you are defining love as a feeling like they do in the movies, then love will come and go just like any other feeling comes and goes. But if:

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

Love wants the best for another. How can anyone say they love someone else if they are killing them by their actions?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #293

Post by Clownboat »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:03 am [Replying to Clownboat in post #292]

No one is hating here. Every man is free to do as he chooses, but there are always consequences for the actions that we choose.

How are you defining "love?"

Is love a feeling or an action?

Is love something you fall into or is it a commitment you make?

If you are saying that love is nothing that you can control then there can be no such thing as a committed lifelong relationship in your worldview.

If you are defining love as a feeling like they do in the movies, then love will come and go just like any other feeling comes and goes. But if:

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

Love wants the best for another. How can anyone say they love someone else if they are killing them by their actions?
We cannot debate if you cannot get on track to begin with.

For the 3rd time:
I'm being very specific here and am talking about an activity I hold dear for myself, but you, you for some imagine reason I'm going to claim you don't qualify and cannot hold this activity that I value so much for myself. This thinking is evil IMO.

Why not address this? Why distract and dodge by asking me for love definitions? How I would define love has no bearing on me restricing any activity that I hold dear for myself, from another human (whether we are talking marriage, playing sports or visiting a loved on at the hospital that is on their death bed).

Think of it this way:
I really appreciate this thing here and I enjoy it.
You don't deserve to have this thing that I enjoy, because gay, or because Muslim, or because of skin color.

If I were you, I would further distract by bringing up psychopaths or children not being allowed to drive. That will further continue you to avoid addressing my actual point.

I value being with the one I love. You deserve to be with the one you love as well. Full stop.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Diagoras
Guru

Post #294

Post by Diagoras »

Clownboat wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:32 pm How I would define love has no bearing on me restricing any activity that I hold dear for myself, from another human (whether we are talking marriage, playing sports or visiting a loved on at the hospital that is on their death bed).
Very well put. =D>

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #295

[Replying to Clownboat in post #294]
I value being with the one I love. You deserve to be with the one you love as well. Full stop.
How would you know if you are the one you love unless love is defined?

You are saying that I am unloving and yet you are refusing to define what love is to you.
How I would define love has no bearing on me restricing any activity that I hold dear for myself, from another human (whether we are talking marriage, playing sports or visiting a loved on at the hospital that is on their death bed).
It most assuredly would. What quantifies a person to receive this affection from someone else? Is there a difference in your level of love between someone that you marry, visit in the hospital or go watch play sports? If there is a difference how would you quantify it?

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #296

Think of it this way:
You don't deserve to have this thing that I enjoy, because gay, or because Muslim, or because of skin color.
Gay, Muslim, and skin color are not equal only one is a morphological characteristic. The other two are chosen charateristics.

There have been people that have chosen to engage in homosexual activity and then they have chosen not to engage in homosexual activity and vise versa.

There have been people that have chosen to be Muslim and then chosen not to be Muslim and vise versa.

But no one can change their skin color it is a morphological trait.

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #297

F
or the 3rd time:
Is what you do an activity or is a an act done out of love?

Is it an act done for self-satisfaction or is it done for the benefit of the other person?

Intimacy is not an activity it is the communication of a lifelong committed relationship. When intimacy ceases being the communication of a lifelong committed relationship then intimacy is no longer intimacy but the fulfillment of someone's lust no matter what gender you are intimate with.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #298

Post by Clownboat »

Clownboat wrote:I value being with the one I love. You deserve to be with the one you love as well. Full stop.
How would you know if you are the one you love unless love is defined?

You are saying that I am unloving and yet you are refusing to define what love is to you.
It doesn't need to be defined. What ever the concept is, or however I define it, it would be wrong for me to hold it dear for myself, yet to restrict it from others for the reasons I have already mentioned.

It's like you are ignoring my explanations. Why it that?
Again - Copy/paste: I really appreciate this thing here and I enjoy it.

It is not just evil to restrict love, however one defines it. It is wrong to restrict anything I hold dear for myself from another qualifying human being.
How I would define love has no bearing on me restricing any activity that I hold dear for myself, from another human (whether we are talking marriage, playing sports or visiting a loved on at the hospital that is on their death bed).
It most assuredly would.
You will need to explain why.
What quantifies a person to receive this affection from someone else?
You're only focusing on affection due to being gay and not allowing yourself to be who you are IMO. You're missing the forest for the trees.
I hold dear that I'm able to obtain a drivers license. It would be wrong to restrict gays, Asians or blue eyes humans from driving, even if they may speed more often then another group one might try to compare them to. No love involved, just compasion and empathy.
Is there a difference in your level of love between someone that you marry, visit in the hospital or go watch play sports? If there is a difference how would you quantify it?
What does that have to do with getting a drivers license for example.
You are trying to obfuscate here I'm afraid.

I hold dear being with the one I feel I love, the ability to vote and I hold dear being able to drive. You deserve the same IMO. You can try to convince me that you don't deserve what I deserve and hold dear, but my compasion and empathy will make it hard for me to accept admittedly.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #299

Post by Clownboat »

Clownboat wrote:Think of it this way:
Gay, Muslim, and skin color are not equal only one is a morphological characteristic. The other two are chosen charateristics.
My argument is not that Gay, Muslim and skin color are equal. It would be wrong to restrict something I hold dear from someone else for such reasons though. That is my argument.

(The other two are chosen charateristics.)
One can't choose to be gay from my experience. I do not have the ability to walk in to a male strip club and get aroused. I cannot choose such a thing. Therefore, it cannot be a choice. If it were a choice, why wouldn't you choose to be straight?

But again, it matters not for the argument I am putting forth about restricing something one holds dear for themselves from another subset of humans.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #300

Post by Clownboat »

earthscieceguy wrote:Is what you do an activity or is a an act done out of love?

What am obscure question!
When I drive for example, it is an activity. No love as far as I can tell.
Is it an act done for self-satisfaction or is it done for the benefit of the other person?

Depends. Am I on my way to eat a delicious steak or driving a homeless person to a food shelf?
I like steak and being fed. I would not seek to restrict such things from another human.

<Snipped your definition of intimacy for seemingly being irrelevant to the discussion at hand>
(I understand why it hits home with you, the love/intimacy part, but my point goes well beyond just restricing love or intimacy as I'm talking about restricing things I hold dear for myself from another subset of humans. Things that may involve love/intimacy or not).