Teach Me Science

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Teach Me Science

Post #1

Post by DavidLeon »

What is the scientific method and how is it different than the way we teach and learn ourselves? If I were the inventor of the airplane wouldn't I be employing the methodology of science just as if I were learning how to change a flat tire or make a website? How would they be similar and how would they differ?
I no longer post here

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Re: Teach Me Science

Post #41

Post by DavidLeon »

brunumb wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:15 pm
DavidLeon wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:26 pm I think most people wouldn't have a problem with your estimation of god because there seems to be so much confusion. I think we've had that discussion? I've proved to you that many gods do exist?
Most of those were essentially irrelevancies based on selective meaning of the term god. Let's cut to the chase. What exactly is your position on the existence of Jehovah?
I believe Jehovah exists, but those were not essentially irrelevancies they were what a god is. You can't keep saying gods don't exist when gods exist. These irrelevancies were gods. You don't know what it means to be a god.
I no longer post here

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #42

Post by DavidLeon »

brunumb wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:35 pm
DavidLeon wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:41 pm Not a militant atheist. No way. They will perform amazing things when questioned or challenged. Almost like they're damaged in some way. It could be sociopolitical frustration or just ideological possession but goodness! They go crazy.
When all else fails, go for the ad hominem.
Oh, yeah? What would you call someone who reports someone for a rule violation that they repeatedly violate themselves? What would make a person do that? Other than being a snitch, I mean. What would be the motivation behind that sort of thing?
I no longer post here

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #43

Post by DavidLeon »

brunumb wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:33 pm
DavidLeon wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:46 pm Verification! [Laughs] Do you ever stop to listen to yourself? You think verification is any more infallible than the original supposition? You can verify anything you want.
But not the Bible it seems. But wait, there is always....... faith.
[shakes head] What do you think a creationist thinks every time they see creation? The same thing a scientific atheist hears when they watch a documentary on nature where evolution is mentioned every 40 seconds. Verification.
I no longer post here

brunumb
Savant

Post #44

Post by brunumb »

DavidLeon wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:50 am
brunumb wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:35 pm
DavidLeon wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:41 pm Not a militant atheist. No way. They will perform amazing things when questioned or challenged. Almost like they're damaged in some way. It could be sociopolitical frustration or just ideological possession but goodness! They go crazy.
When all else fails, go for the ad hominem.
Oh, yeah? What would you call someone who reports someone for a rule violation that they repeatedly violate themselves? What would make a person do that? Other than being a snitch, I mean. What would be the motivation behind that sort of thing?
Oh dear, oh dear. So, when all else fails, go for the ad hominem...... or a diversion.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

brunumb
Savant

Post #45

Post by brunumb »

DavidLeon wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:53 am What do you think a creationist thinks every time they see creation?
That one is going to need clarification. What creation is being seen by these people? Are you referring to the process of creation, or is it just a case of "look at the pretty butterfly God created" type of thing? The latter simply involves unjustified assumptions.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

brunumb
Savant

Post #46

Post by brunumb »

DavidLeon wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:47 am I believe Jehovah exists, but those were not essentially irrelevancies they were what a god is. You can't keep saying gods don't exist when gods exist. These irrelevancies were gods. You don't know what it means to be a god.
You could clarify the issue by indicating what distinguishes Jehovah from all of those other gods.

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #47

Post by DavidLeon »

brunumb wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:31 pm
DavidLeon wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:22 pm What I mean by militant atheist is outspoken, active.
In other words, you don't like anyone questioning your beliefs or raising the spectre of doubt. Understandable.
Wow, you really suck at this. Group think got you by the back of the neck. First of all there's nothing wrong with being militant. Secondly of course I hate it. Everyone hates it. With me it's a love hate relationship. Thirdly I can endure the doubt. Doubt is only natural.
DavidLeon wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:22 pm Everyone I know is an atheist and not one of them would waste a moment of their time, discussing, debating, parading, buying bumper stickers, renting billboards, protesting or taking any active part in any of theists doings.
How do you feel about Christians doing all those things?
The same way. Amused.
brunumb wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:31 pmLet's expand the activities to radio and TV channels devoted to broadcasting the dogma.
Oh, please do! There isn't anything this side of hell worse than Christian music. Christians like Alice Cooper and Dave Mustaine making music is fine, but very nearly all Christian Music from Gospel to Stryper should be destroyed, I'm afraid to say. There are exceptions. Some of Bob Dylan's stuff in the late '70's - early '80's was good. A little preachy perhaps. I even posted a song in The Lyceum that was a Dylan cover by a Christian artist.
brunumb wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:31 pmJesus camps and special school groups to indoctrinate the young.
Now, c'mon! You have to admit the Jesus Camp documentary was funny! To think that there is anyone let alone huge groups of people that shallow, stupid and fake.

You know, I see a lot of what people do as stupid but a lot of people would see what I do as stupid. Sometimes I do to. I don't care what militant atheists, apostate Christians, corrupt politicians, or mad scientists do. To each his own.
brunumb wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:31 pmChristians actively ganging up to defeat legislation giving rights to gay people, or refusing to give them the service they freely give to everyone else.
Like I've said. I'm apolitical. Jesus was apolitical. Although it is hypocritical to their Lord's teaching they have every right to exercise their political clout as anyone else. But aside from that, I don't think anyone should be forced to do something they don't believe in. No Christian should be made to make a gay cake if they don't want to make a gay cake. If it's an unpopular position to take, well, then, sometime you have to take a stand for what you believe in. If your livelihood suffers or you go to jail, you have to do what you have to do.
brunumb wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:31 pmAren't people entitled to be given both sides of the story?
I'm not sure what you mean.
DavidLeon wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:22 pm They don't care that evolution is or isn't taught in school. They know most of what is taught in school is nonsense and in one ear out the other of the kids forced to listen to it.
Oh dear. Most of what is taught in school is nonsense in one ear and out the other ......
That's correct. From Prussia in the 19th century. Produce dumbed down obedient workers.

brunumb wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:31 pmso that they don't learn anything and end up in a position with little or no understanding. That explains a lot.
Oh, does it? That's what it's about to you? They can regurgitate pointless and useless knowledge. Governments don't want critical thinkers. Isn't it ironic that those who think they are critical thinkers are not.
DavidLeon wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:22 pm They don't care if there is a nativity scene or 10 commandments at the courthouse because they know the courthouse is corrupt to the core.
Rather a sweeping generalisation there don't you think. Perhaps you are overstating your case because there is really nothing of substance behind it.
I was talking about a relatively small group of people who would wholeheartedly agree with that assessment.
DavidLeon wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:22 pm They don't care if there is prayer in the school, they would never post on a forum like this or an atheist forum. They don't care if the guy down the street believes in God or practices Buddhism.
For the most part I am with them. My activity here is just a minor diversion. It does not define me as much as you appear to believe.
It's okay if your neighbor believes in a fairy tale as long as they don't vote. I know.
I no longer post here

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #48

Post by DavidLeon »

brunumb wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:16 am
DavidLeon wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:47 am I believe Jehovah exists, but those were not essentially irrelevancies they were what a god is. You can't keep saying gods don't exist when gods exist. These irrelevancies were gods. You don't know what it means to be a god.
You could clarify the issue by indicating what distinguishes Jehovah from all of those other gods.
Lots of things. The only thing all gods have in common is veneration. Because that's what a god is. Someone or something venerated. You can't insist that a God must allegedly be supernatural, creator, and having control over people's lives if that isn't the case.
I no longer post here

brunumb
Savant

Post #49

Post by brunumb »

DavidLeon wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:38 am No Christian should be made to make a gay cake if they don't want to make a gay cake.
<chuckle>
Just trying to get my head around the gay cake. Humour aside, it boggles the mind to think that people seriously believe that good old Jehovah is going to sit in judgement of them for baking a cake for a gay couple. The absurdity of religious belief seems to know no bounds.

brunumb
Savant

Post #50

Post by brunumb »

DavidLeon wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:42 am
brunumb wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:16 am
Lots of things. The only thing all gods have in common is veneration. Because that's what a god is. Someone or something venerated. You can't insist that a God must allegedly be supernatural, creator, and having control over people's lives if that isn't the case.
You left out what those 'lots of things" are that distinguishes Jehovah from the ordinary gods. Just to be clear, is he the one that is the supernatural creator having control over people's lives?