Would you step in to save humanity if you could?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Would you step in to save humanity if you could?

Post #1

Post by William »

For example - if you were leader of an Extraresstrial race of sentient space-faring beings and had the technical ability to show the human race how to get out of its current predicaments, would you give the order to do so?

If "yes" or "no", why?

William
Savant

Re: Would you step in to save humanity if you could?

Post #11

Post by William »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:18 am
William wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:00 pm
nobspeople wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:56 pm
William wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:51 pm For example - if you were leader of an Extraresstrial race of sentient space-faring beings and had the technical ability to show the human race how to get out of its current predicaments, would you give the order to do so?

If "yes" or "no", why?

Not the entire species, no. People are, by in large, a vulgar plague on this planet: over breeding, over consuming, disrespectful and vile.
That said, there are many exceptions (though not enough for a grand save).
I would pick-n-choose those I would save if given the chance.
Do you have a list of those types you would save and can you give us a rough sketch as to how you would go about doing this - bearing in mind your species technological abilities...

I would see what each person's actions are, with my technology, and if I deem them worthy, they will be spared. Obviously, those that steal, rape, murder, torture, steal, etc and are of sound mind will get the boot.
Those that have nothing worthy to offer society, based on my discretion, will also be booted.
So the population would be at the very least, halved I'd think.
How? Any way I'd deem based on their actions.
Then what would you do. The planet now only has nice people on it. Would you make it so that humans can no longer lawfully create systems which enable rape, murder, torture, stealing?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:16 pm
William wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:51 pm For example - if you were leader of an Extraresstrial race of sentient space-faring beings and had the technical ability to show the human race how to get out of its current predicaments, would you give the order to do so?

If "yes" or "no", why?

Not the entire species, no. People are, by in large, a vulgar plague on this planet: over breeding, over consuming, disrespectful and vile.
Do you have a list of those types you would save and can you give us a rough sketch as to how you would go about doing this - bearing in mind your species technological abilities...

I would see what each person's actions are, with my technology, and if I deem them worthy, they will be spared. Obviously, those that steal, rape, murder, torture, steal, etc and are of sound mind will get the boot.
Those that have nothing worthy to offer society, based on my discretion, will also be booted.
Then what would you do. The planet now only has nice people on it. Would you make it so that humans can no longer lawfully create systems which enable rape, murder, torture, stealing?
I would watch and maintain the good people, eliminate the bad people as they come about.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

William
Savant

Post #13

Post by William »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:17 pm

If "yes" or "no", why?

I would watch and maintain the good people, eliminate the bad people as they come about.
Therein we have a similar scenario as with Middle Eastern Mythology in relation to future events believed by billions, are going to happen. What you described you would do, is basically what they believe their god will do.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:46 pm

If "yes" or "no", why?

Therein we have a similar scenario as with Middle Eastern Mythology in relation to future events believed by billions, are going to happen. What you described you would do, is basically what they believe their god will do.
Then their god is highly intelligent :joy:

William
Savant

Post #15

Post by William »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:53 pm

If "yes" or "no", why?

There seems to be some debate about that... :joker:

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:57 pm
nobspeople wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:53 pm

If "yes" or "no", why?

There seems to be some debate about that... :joker:
It makes a lot of sense, if you think about it.
If you have the ability to create a better world (which, eliminating those that do harm constantly and or deliberately), why would you not act on it?
To me, it's a worthy idea.

William
Savant

Post #17

Post by William »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #17]
It makes a lot of sense, if you think about it.
If you have the ability to create a better world (which, eliminating those that do harm constantly and or deliberately), why would you not act on it?
To me, it's a worthy idea.
So then the question can be asked. "If you have the power to do this worthy thing, why have you not yet used it?

What are some possible answers to this question...

William
Savant

Post #18

Post by William »

What if the reason you have not done anything is because a species has to be seen to do it for themselves as part of a universal law - along the lines that if the species was meant to be in this universe it would eventually recognize what it has to do in order to achieve this of its own volition and if not, then good riddance...

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #19

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to William in post #9]
Okay - so you remove certain types of religious people - presumably because you see that it will not upset any balance. Also you would remove violent criminals and eliminate of hunger and poverty. Presumably this could be done through eliminating certain types of politics which enable these things?
Not religious people ... but certain organized religions that have rules I do not agree with (such as apostosy as in Sharia laws, for example). If people freely choose to practice a religion, and it is not harmful to other people who may disagree, then fine. I wouldn't consider that a problem to be solved in order to "save" humans (in the OP sense, not to get them to a Christian heaven).

I'm not sure elimination of any politics could stop violent criminals from being violent criminals. The drug cartels in Mexico seem to operate independent of any government or political conditions, and those kinds of groups I'd certainly jettison. Hunger and poverty should be easier to solve by political reforms, but political power and the desire for it seems to get in the way of that actually happening because those who achieve it have no hunger or poverty problems of their own and often don't really care about their people enough to solve the problems (eg. N. Korea, and some African countries). It seems that in many of the cases in poor African countries the problems persist through many changes in governments and politics, but I suppose correcting that would be on my list if I was a visiting ET able to do something about that would persist long after I left (and it is doubtful that could happen given human nature).
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

William
Savant

Post #20

Post by William »

[Replying to DrNoGods in post #20]
I'm not sure elimination of any politics could stop violent criminals from being violent criminals.
What is it that enables crime? Can it be eliminated politically or is something more drastic required?