A Creation/Evolution Continuum

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

John Bauer
Apprentice

A Creation/Evolution Continuum

Post #1

Post by John Bauer »

I am trying to construct a continuum of the different views regarding origins and would like some suggestions and feedback on constructing this thing. Maybe you think the order should be different, maybe I missed one or two perspectives, etc.

Here's what I've hammered out so far:

A. Theism
----- I. Creationist
---------- 1. Young-earth creationist
--------------- a. Flat Earth Geocentrist
--------------- b. Round Earth Geocentrist
--------------- c. Round Earth Heliocentrist
---------- 2. Old-earth creationist
--------------- a. Gap creationist
--------------- b. Day-age creationist
-------------------- i. Progressive creationist
--------------- c. Evolutionary creationist
---------- 3. Intelligent design proponent
B. Deism
----- I. Theistic evolutionist
C. Atheism
----- I. Evolutionary naturalist

Updated to add: Revised list (February 13, 2021):

A. Theism
----- I. Creationist
---------- 1. Young-earth creationist
--------------- a. Flat-earth geocentrist
--------------- b. Round-earth geocentrist
---------- 2. Old-earth creationist
--------------- a. Gap creationist
--------------- b. Day-age creationist
-------------------- i. Progressive creationist
--------------- c. Evolutionary creationist
--------------- d. Intelligent design
----- II. Evolutionist (i.e., theistic evolution)
B. Deism
----- I. Evolutionist (i.e., deistic evolution)
C. Atheism
----- I. Evolutionist (i.e., naturalistic evolution)
Last edited by John Bauer on Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Barbarian
Sage

Re: A Creation/Evolution Continuum

Post #41

Post by The Barbarian »

DrNoGods wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:07 pm Not sure how you intend the word "universal" here, but some basic understanding of what is right and wrong (within their groups) appears to be inherent in all social animals in order for them to survive and reproduce optimally.
In a few cases, we see that some animals have a sense of justice and equity. More often, I think, it's just wired in behavior, with no ethical dimension.
I've seen plenty of groups of cows, horses, sheep, ants, etc. all living together and generally not eating their young or killing each other, without any instructions from a god or anything like the Ten Commandments. Certain behaviors are condusive to continued survival and reproduction, and some basic knowledge of right and wrong seems to be one of them that is beneficial from an evolutionary standpoint:
Wild cattle and wild horses do kill each other, usually male competing for females. Few organisms normally kill their young, particularly those with few offspring that need care.

I'm speaking of things like tests in which dogs were trained to do a certain trick in return for a treat. If one dog is given a much better treat than the other, the other will often refuse to cooperate. This happens with apes too, although apes are inclined to let it slide if the favored one is a close relative. These suggest a sense of right and wrong apart from instinctive behaviors like caring for offspring.
Looks worth reading. I'll check it out and get back to you.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Re: A Creation/Evolution Continuum

Post #42

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to The Barbarian in post #43]
These suggest a sense of right and wrong apart from instinctive behaviors like caring for offspring.
Right ... so if social animals have some sense of right and wrong without (presumably) any connection or instructions from a god being (or are there "animal gods" for nonhumans), was your meaning of "universal code of right and wrong" in post 120 referring to this basic sense shared by social animals (include humans) that exists without the need for god being to impart it?
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain