If Science Revealed God

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Knight
Prodigy

If Science Revealed God

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

Question for Debate: If science actually proved God, would you change the way you lived your life?

And if so, why? Also, what would it be based upon? If it just so happens that the person in front of the computer posting as Purple Knight created the universe, do I gain any special moral credibility from that action? The way I see it, no, I don't. If I created the universe, so what? Your parents created you, and if they're bad people who want you to do bad things, you can still (and should, to my mind) say no.

Tcg
Savant

Re: If Science Revealed God

Post #91

Post by Tcg »

2ndRateMind wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:00 am [Replying to nobspeople in post #83]

So guys. I have long since given up on the idea of trying to argue anyone into belief.
Rather odd given that this is a debate subforum.
And all you really need to know is that, should you ever need Him, God will be there for you.

Best wishes, 2RM.
State Farm makes the same claim. Of course, they actually will at least to some limited degree if one pays their premiums on time.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #92

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Tcg wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:44 pm
2ndRateMind wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:00 am [Replying to nobspeople in post #83]

So guys. I have long since given up on the idea of trying to argue anyone into belief.
Rather odd given that this is a debate subforum.
And all you really need to know is that, should you ever need Him, God will be there for you.

Best wishes, 2RM.
State Farm makes the same claim. Of course, they actually will at least to some limited degree if one pays their premiums on time.

Tcg
So, we respond emotionally to God, and only rationally to argument. To confuse the two is a category error. That does not mean, of course, there is nothing more to be said.

I am not familiar with State Farm, but maybe their promise is inspired by God.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #93

Post by 2ndRateMind »

brunumb wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:00 pm
2ndRateMind wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:48 pm Even a God who is perfect in every way, if He was ever objectively proven to exist, would be a dreadful dictator.
That seems to speak directly to the nature of God rather than us knowing for sure that he was real. Based on descriptions in the Bible, he is a dreadful dictator as far as we already know.
2ndRateMind wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:48 pm We would simply have nowhere to hide in our imperfection.
Why do we need to hide? Do the imperfect believers who claim to know that God exists have anywhere to hide? This is not making any sense.
2ndRateMind wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:48 pm And if an omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent God was ever proven that would be as compulsory as it is possible to imagine.
You are not compelled to honour, respect or even worship anyone simply because they are powerful. Sure, they can threaten to annihilate you, but in that case they would not deserve such regard anyway.
2ndRateMind wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:48 pm So, He exists for those who love him, and provides us with plenty of subjective evidence that we are not wrong. But first you have to take that leap of faith, and believe.
And if you don't love him does that mean he doesn't exist?
No. In my experience He will always be there for those that need Him.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost