The Science of Bigfoot

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Dimmesdale
Sage

The Science of Bigfoot

Post #1

Post by Dimmesdale »

I was encouraged by nobspeople and We_Are_VENOM to start a Bigfoot thread. Honestly, I only know a little about the Patterson-Gimlin footage (which I happen to think is authentic). I am not very knowledgeable about much else though. Still, I want to provide links to two videos which I think are worth looking at:

Blevins best proof of Patterson Gimlin Bigfoot is real:

The Patterson Gimlin Film, "One Minute to film, 45 years to explain":

Hopefully more participants can contribute. Thanks.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Tcg
Savant

Re: The Science of Bigfoot

Post #21

Post by Tcg »

Dimmesdale wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:40 am
Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:36 am
Dimmesdale wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:31 am
Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:25 am
Dimmesdale wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:11 am
Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:08 am
Dimmesdale wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:00 am
Tcg wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:54 pm
Dimmesdale wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:49 pm 9. A creature of some sort must exist. Some thing was taped.

Nope. Definitely not human.
Yes, some thing was taped. Now all you have to do is proved evidence that this thing wasn't human.

That shouldn't be hard for one who claims to live in Temple of Logic.

Tcg
I don't have absolute proof.
Of course you don't. And yet your previous claim, "Nope. Definitely not human." is an absolute claim. Is this your admission that your former claim is flawed or will you continue to claim that your residence in the Temple of Logic absolves you of all such falicies?

Tcg
Since I believe in God and the reality that we can know truth (God being the granter of truth and knowledge to those who know and love him), I have access to certain knowledge. I don't have atheistic blinders on, in other words.

Unfortunately, since you don't accept God or truth, you're pretty much at the level of solipsism. Sorry. That's all you got. That's all your worldview can provide for you.
I thought the subject here was the "Science of Bigfoot?" What in the world does God have to do with Bigfoot?

In any case, your Ad Hominem doesn't support your claim that, "Nope. Definitely not human." is true concerning these videos, or whatever, about Bigfoot.

Tcg
You're right in this aspect here, actually. Actually I know more about Bigfoot than I let on in this thread. But I have other evidence you would just consider too bizarre. So I stick with the videos' commentary.

But I know for certain it is not human. I know. But I can't transmit this certainty to you, sadly.
Yes, it is so sad that a resident of the Temple of Logic can't support any of the claims they've made about Bigfoot. Not a single one.

Tcg
Oh no, I've offered at the very least extremely plausible believability to a person without any greater knowledge of these things.....
Right, as I said, Not a single one.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Dimmesdale
Sage

Post #22

Post by Dimmesdale »

Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:43 am
Dimmesdale wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:40 am
Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:36 am
Dimmesdale wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:31 am
Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:25 am
Dimmesdale wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:11 am
Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:08 am
Dimmesdale wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:00 am
Tcg wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:54 pm
Dimmesdale wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:49 pm 9. A creature of some sort must exist. Some thing was taped.

Yes, some thing was taped. Now all you have to do is proved evidence that this thing wasn't human.

That shouldn't be hard for one who claims to live in Temple of Logic.

Tcg
I don't have absolute proof.
Of course you don't. And yet your previous claim, "Nope. Definitely not human." is an absolute claim. Is this your admission that your former claim is flawed or will you continue to claim that your residence in the Temple of Logic absolves you of all such falicies?

Tcg
Since I believe in God and the reality that we can know truth (God being the granter of truth and knowledge to those who know and love him), I have access to certain knowledge. I don't have atheistic blinders on, in other words.

Unfortunately, since you don't accept God or truth, you're pretty much at the level of solipsism. Sorry. That's all you got. That's all your worldview can provide for you.
I thought the subject here was the "Science of Bigfoot?" What in the world does God have to do with Bigfoot?

In any case, your Ad Hominem doesn't support your claim that, "Nope. Definitely not human." is true concerning these videos, or whatever, about Bigfoot.

Tcg
You're right in this aspect here, actually. Actually I know more about Bigfoot than I let on in this thread. But I have other evidence you would just consider too bizarre. So I stick with the videos' commentary.

But I know for certain it is not human. I know. But I can't transmit this certainty to you, sadly.
Yes, it is so sad that a resident of the Temple of Logic can't support any of the claims they've made about Bigfoot. Not a single one.

Tcg
Oh no, I've offered at the very least extremely plausible believability to a person without any greater knowledge of these things.....
Right, as I said, Not a single one.

Tcg
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a good night.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Tcg
Savant

Post #23

Post by Tcg »

Dimmesdale wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:47 am
Eleven laughing faces are your next presentation of evidence for Bigfoot? Yes, I suppose we are down to this level of evidence.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Dimmesdale
Sage

Post #24

Post by Dimmesdale »

Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:51 am
Eleven laughing faces are your next presentation of evidence for Bigfoot? Yes, I suppose we are down to this level of evidence.

Tcg
No, I just give up at this time. I feel I've already made a reasonable case to at least provide the foundation for believing PG's authenticity. I was hoping nobspeople and Venom to pitch in. I admit I was unprepared. I realize that I do not have a powerful argument that I can articulate. At least not one that satisfies skeptics. Oh well it was worth a try.

Tcg
Savant

Post #25

Post by Tcg »

Dimmesdale wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:54 am

Tcg
I realize that I do not have a powerful argument that I can articulate.
Yes, your reliance on eleven laughing faces makes this fact clear.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Dimmesdale
Sage

Post #26

Post by Dimmesdale »

Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:59 am

Tcg

Tcg
I still think I have a powerful argument. I just can't articulate it.

Tcg
Savant

Post #27

Post by Tcg »

Dimmesdale wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:03 am
Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:59 am

Tcg

Tcg
I still think I have a powerful argument. I just can't articulate it.
You articulated it with your eleven laughing faces. That is the extent of your "powerful argument."

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

brunumb
Savant

Post #28

Post by brunumb »

Dimmesdale wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:49 pm Me believing in the PG creature:

1. The footage exists.
No debate there

2. A costume today would not be good enough.
Unsupported assertion. Evidence required. Opinions don't count as evidence.

3. A costume 54 years ago would not be adequate either.
Unsupported assertion. Evidence required. Opinions don't count as evidence.

4. The people who foisted this "hoax" weren't professional costume artists anyway.
Is that an admission that it is in fact a hoax. Please provide evidence of the creators of the costume and their credentials.

5. We can see muscle flexing, toes extending, fat dangling, boobs bouncing, skin showing, etc.
Can we? Or is that just confirmation bias at work?

6. A costume isn't a potential alternate candidate for explanation. Period.
Of course it is a candidate. It has not been eliminated by anything more than personal incredulity so far.

7. If you can show me a candidate this good, then I'll listen.
The absence of an alternative costume is not evidence that what is in the film is not a costume.

8. If not a costume, then what? (we need some explanation)
Take a step back and establish that it is not a costume first.

9. A creature of some sort must exist. Some thing was taped.
Probably a human being in a costume. That answers the question of existence and the image in the tape.

Unsupported assertion.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

brunumb
Savant

Post #29

Post by brunumb »

Dimmesdale wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:11 am Since I believe in God and the reality that we can know truth (God being the granter of truth and knowledge to those who know and love him), I have access to certain knowledge. I don't have atheistic blinders on, in other words.
Ah! The argument from "I'm special and you're not". Is it that you have a special connection whereby God provides you with secret information that no one else is entitled to? Or is this just another case of not really having anything at all? Magical theistic glasses that allow the faithful to see the truth perhaps. Give us a break. Either there is evidence or there isn't. If there is, then present it.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

brunumb
Savant

Post #30

Post by brunumb »

Dimmesdale wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:31 am Actually I know more about Bigfoot than I let on in this thread. But I have other evidence you would just consider too bizarre. So I stick with the videos' commentary.
How about letting us decide if it is too bizarre or not. I'm guessing it's not so much bizarre as totally uncompelling to the critical mind.