Bill Allowing The Teaching Of Creationism In Public School Science Classes Is Passed In Arkansas House 72-21

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Bill Allowing The Teaching Of Creationism In Public School Science Classes Is Passed In Arkansas House 72-21

Post #1

Post by Miles »

A bill to allow Christian beliefs to be taught in Arkansas classrooms easily passed the state House Wednesday. House Bill 1701 now heads to the Senate side for a vote.

The bill will allow kindergarten through 12th grade teachers to teach students about the Christian theory of creationism, which claims that a divine being conjured the universe and all things in it in six days. The bill specifies that creationism can be taught not only in religion and philosophy classes, but “as a theory of how the Earth came to exist.”

As with so many pieces of legislation churning out of the Arkansas Capitol this session, if HB 1701 passes, a quick court challenge on this blatant mixing of church and state is all but inevitable. The United States Supreme Court already considered this issue in 1987 and ruled in no uncertain terms that teaching creationism in public school classrooms is unconstitutional. But blatant unconstitutionality hasn’t dissuaded Arkansas lawmakers so far this session. One Senate bill that passed recently, for example, declared all federal gun laws null and void within our state’s borders, in clear opposition to the Supremacy Clause that says federal laws take precedence over state laws.

Rep. Mary Bentley (R-Perryville), sponsor of House Bill 1701 “TO ALLOW CREATIONISM AS A THEORY OF HOW THE EARTH CAME TO EXIST TO BE TAUGHT IN KINDERGARTEN THROUGH GRADE TWELVE CLASSES IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS AND OPEN–ENROLLMENT PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOLS,” said she put forth the bill at the request of science teachers in her district.

“There are phenomena in our nature that evolution cannot explain,” Bentley said. She emphasized that science teachers may teach creationism under this bill, but they don’t have to.
source

Stupid beyond belief, but what's your opinion?

evoguy313

Re: Bill Allowing The Teaching Of Creationism In Public School Science Classes Is Passed In Arkansas House 72-21

Post #181

Post by evoguy313 »

Miles wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:19 pm .

Stupid beyond belief, but what's your opinion?

Same.

That this nonsense is still pushed in 2021 is an embarrassment to the nation.

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Re: Bill Allowing The Teaching Of Creationism In Public School Science Classes Is Passed In Arkansas House 72-21

Post #182

Post by EarthScienceguy »

[Replying to Bradskii in post #180]
As I said, you were confused. Cosmology doesn't require either a belief in God or a disbelief. In that sense it is secular. Cosmology looks to understand the begining of and the evolution of the universe. There are many Christian cosmologists and no doubt a few atheist cosmologists as well. They do the same work - understanding the cosmos. The atheists will think it's entirely natural and needed no God. The Christians will think it couldn't have happened without Him (they're trying to understand how He did it).

Unless of course one is a creationist. In which case that person is going to have some trouble with cognitive dissonance. Good grief, you're not a creationist, are you?
Of course, I am a creationist because the Bible says that God created the heavens and the earth, and science says that the universe had to be created by a Creator God. The assumption in the current big bang theory is that there was no need for a God to create the heavens and the earth. Any theory origins that does not have a Creator God as one of the beginning assumptions is an atheistic theory by definition. Whether some "Christians" believe that or not is irrelevant.

Miles
Savant

Post #183

Post by Miles »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:06 pm [Replying to Bradskii in post #180]
As I said, you were confused. Cosmology doesn't require either a belief in God or a disbelief. In that sense it is secular. Cosmology looks to understand the begining of and the evolution of the universe. There are many Christian cosmologists and no doubt a few atheist cosmologists as well. They do the same work - understanding the cosmos. The atheists will think it's entirely natural and needed no God. The Christians will think it couldn't have happened without Him (they're trying to understand how He did it).

Unless of course one is a creationist. In which case that person is going to have some trouble with cognitive dissonance. Good grief, you're not a creationist, are you?
Of course, I am a creationist because the Bible says that God created the heavens and the earth, and science says that the universe had to be created by a Creator God. The assumption in the current big bang theory is that there was no need for a God to create the heavens and the earth. Any theory origins that does not have a Creator God as one of the beginning assumptions is an atheistic theory by definition. Whether some "Christians" believe that or not is irrelevant.
Baiting people here I see. That's a No, No you know. Might have to report you. ;)

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #184

Post by EarthScienceguy »

[Replying to Miles in post #183]
Baiting people here I see. That's a No, No you know. Might have to report you.
What? Go ahead I have defended that position many, many times on this site.

Like the string, I have right now "The absurdity of the universe without a Creator God"

Miles
Savant

Post #185

Post by Miles »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:22 pm [Replying to Miles in post #183]
Baiting people here I see. That's a No, No you know. Might have to report you.
What? Go ahead I have defended that position many, many times on this site.
Okay, then present your evidence that "science says that the universe had to be created by a Creator God," because as a far as science is concerned the supernatural doesn't even exist.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #186

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to Miles in post #185]
as a far as science is concerned the supernatural doesn't even exist.
Science doesn't state that the supernatural doesn't exist; it merely acknowledges that the supernatural lies outside its purview.

Bradskii
Student

Post #187

Post by Bradskii »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:06 pm [Replying to Bradskii in post #180]

There's no such assumption in the theory. Feel free to point it out if you can find it. But don't waste your time. It's not there. What some people do is use the theory to make assumptions. Don't confuse the two. A theory that doesn't inlude God isn't an atheist theory. Otherwise all theories are atheist. Which is a nonsensical proposition.

And if by 'creationist' you mean you believe the planet is only 6,000 years old, then no wonder you are confused...

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #188

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Athetotheist wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:58 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:06 pm
Athetotheist wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:33 pm If you have no data on what underlies the existence of the universe, then you don't have all the data.
I see you're well versed in tautological discourse.

Now I gotta ask, what's your point?
That was my point.
Here ye one, and hear ye all!

On this blessed day it has occurred, that Athetotheist has confirmed the fact forever, irrevocably, and without any shadows to get all doubty, that tautologies are all tautological and all.

And proud to let y'all know all about it.

I ask all who've witnessed this glorious event, to stand now in thunderous applause, until such time Athetotheist has left the building.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Miles
Savant

Post #189

Post by Miles »

Athetotheist wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:56 pm [Replying to Miles in post #185]
Science doesn't state that the supernatural doesn't exist; it merely acknowledges that the supernatural lies outside its purview.
If you're implying that science acknowledges the supernatural, but either chooses not to delve into it or cannot do so, you're quite mistaken.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #190

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Miles wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:00 am
Athetotheist wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:56 pm [Replying to Miles in post #185]
If you're implying that science acknowledges the supernatural, but either chooses not to delve into it or cannot do so, you're quite mistaken.

Y'all're kinda both right.

Science, as a discipline of study, ought never deny that the supernatural might, possibly exist. Science, if only to me, ain't about "No it ain't", so much as it's about, "Well here we go".

Science, as a discipline of study, will forever fail if it proclaims that which can't be shown to exist, don't.

But boy howdy, how many times has the theist failed to show it does, what it is they can't.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin