JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

The existence of the universe requires a god

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 136 here:
EarthScienceguy wrote: ...
The universe could not exist in the form that it is in unless there was an omnipresent, omnipotent, and omniscient God.
For debate:

Please offer some means to confirm the referenced claim is true and factual.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Sherlock Holmes

Re: The existence of the universe requires a god

Post #131

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:20 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:17 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:48 pm ...
OK - anything is possible in principle unless we can prove without question that it is not.
Joey Knothead wrote: Not even a clue, even though I explained the problem within this thread?

The point is that declaring something possible is a poor means of determining fact.
Please quote the sentence I posted that you are in disagreement with, enough of the paraphrasing please, lets stick with facts what specific statement of mine are you objecting to?
You were quoted, with a site reference, within the very post to which you just responded. It's included in your response wondering just what sentence I was agetting at :facepalm:

All I had to do was actually read your post, and by my incredible powers of reading, therein did I find the sentence.
Is this a true statement: "anything is possible in principle unless we can prove without question that it is not" ?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #132

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:59 am Is this a true statement: "anything is possible in principle unless we can prove without question that it is not" ?
Yes.

It's entirely possible grits ain't groceries, and you have you a sensible argument.

Possible.

Like how it's possible Hayden Panettiere's gonna flop her down in the hog waller there, unannounced, all nekkid and all, and I'm agonna have me a camera on me when she does.

Of course everything's possible. That don't mean all of em's the truth.
-Punkinhead Martin

Sherlock Holmes

Post #133

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:57 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:59 am Is this a true statement: "anything is possible in principle unless we can prove without question that it is not" ?
Yes.
Very well then, so you don't disagree with what I wrote, good.

So what exactly are your complaining about? Perhaps you're complaining about something I didn't write? perhaps you're complaining about something you wish I had written but didn't? is that what's going on?

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #134

Post by Difflugia »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:14 amSo what exactly are your complaining about? Perhaps you're complaining about something I didn't write? perhaps you're complaining about something you wish I had written but didn't? is that what's going on?
It's not so much that Joey wishes you had written something else, but that he's giving you the benefit of the doubt. The statement you keep returning to ("anything is possible in principle unless we can prove without question that it is not") is true, but it's also meaningless to the present discussion. By assuming, at least pro forma for the sake of the argument, that you are implying that it does when you make the statement, Joey is allowing for the possibility that your argument is being made in good faith.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #135

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:14 am
Yes.

So what exactly are you complaining about? Perhaps you're complaining about something I didn't write? perhaps you're complaining about something you wish I had written but didn't? is that what's going on?
My point is that just cause something's possible, that don't mean it'll happen. Heck, it don't even mean it's likely.

Relating this to the OP then, it's possible the existence of the universe requires a god, but that possibilitiness don't mean it happened that way.

Possibilitiness. I love sticking a fork in the language. My predictive text gets so confused :wave:
-Punkinhead Martin

Sherlock Holmes

Post #136

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:31 am
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:14 am
Yes.

So what exactly are you complaining about? Perhaps you're complaining about something I didn't write? perhaps you're complaining about something you wish I had written but didn't? is that what's going on?
My point is that just cause something's possible, that don't mean it'll happen. Heck, it don't even mean it's likely.
That very obvious fact is what you call your "point"?
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:31 am Relating this to the OP then, it's possible the existence of the universe requires a god, but that possibilitiness don't mean it happened that way.

Possibilitiness. I love sticking a fork in the language. My predictive text gets so confused :wave:
Right so we can't rule God out, nobody can, no matter what your position is on this subject we absolutely cannot say, claim or prove that God is not the cause.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #137

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:42 pm Right so we can't rule God out, nobody can, no matter what your position is on this subject we absolutely cannot say, claim or prove that God is not the cause.
Nor can we rule out possums, nor fish sticks, nor grits, nor nothing like that.

So yeah, it's possible God's him a possum, it's possible God's him a fish stick, it's possible God's him a grit, it's possible your god claims're truth.

It's also possible you make claims you'll never show to be truth.

Now that we have the data, we can set to conclude.
-Punkinhead Martin

Sherlock Holmes

Post #138

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:34 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:42 pm Right so we can't rule God out, nobody can, no matter what your position is on this subject we absolutely cannot say, claim or prove that God is not the cause.
Exactly.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:34 pm So yeah, it's possible God's him a possum, it's possible God's him a fish stick, it's possible God's him a grit, it's possible your god claims're truth.

Again, the above seems to be just vacuous, sorry but it is.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #139

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:40 pm
Exactly.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:34 pm So yeah, it's possible God's him a possum, it's possible God's him a fish stick, it's possible God's him a grit, it's possible your god claims're truth.

"Seems"

A great way to avoid rational, critical commentary.
-Punkinhead Martin

Sherlock Holmes

Post #140

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:55 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:40 pm
Exactly.

"Seems"

A great way to avoid rational, critical commentary.
Describing your post as seemingly vacuous is rational, critical commentary Joey.