BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Re: 40 Scientific Inaccuracies from the Bible

Post #31

Post by BeHereNow »

benchwarmer wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:14 am
BeHereNow wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:22 am
brunumb wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:32 pm
BeHereNow wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:33 pm Nothing about Science has affected their religious beliefs, one way or another. It could have, if Science were capable of making absolute claims about the material world, and these contradicted their beliefs, but it can not.
Not necessarily. The vast majority of believers are the product of indoctrination so that no reasoning was involved in the inculcation of their beliefs. Once someone has swallowed their religion hook, line and sinker, it's only a small step to becoming a science denier.
And if you had some evidence, that would be helpful.

Then you would need to show why those who were indoctrinated with Science, hook line and sinker, and staunch religion deniers, were categorically any different than their counterparts.
"indoctrinated with Science" is an oxymoron. The actual scientific method requires one to support any claims with actual data. It also requires replacing hypotheses that don't fit new data such that all reproducible data is covered.

In other words, science encourages people to be skeptical of scientific claims and fully embraces debunking of bad claims. One is asked only that methodology and data are provided so others can confirm or deny one's findings.

How does this stack up with most religion? When I was a Christian I was told to "just have faith" when the evidence clearly did not support the religious claim.

Chose your poison. You can either be free (and encouraged) to validate claims and discard the ones that don't fit reality or you can just "have faith" when holy book claims fail to comport with reality.
Let me explain to you how this works, real world, not text book.
Science, the establishment discipline of Science, is not about absolutes, it is about probability.
Science says the probability of any reported event is some number greater than zero. Nothing is impossible, in the absolute sense.
According to Science, no reported event has a zero chance of occurring.

And yet, we have people saying "I know the Bible is not true because the Science says so."

The only way you get to statements like that from actual Science, is by indoctrination.

There have been many times when some group of people claimed to be able to describe reality, but Science objected, said sorry, no. Then years later, often after those truth speakers had died, Science obtained new evidence, and changed its mind about objective reality. Sorry, yes.

Those who rely on Science only for knowledge will have some false beliefs. That is not a bad thing. The alternative is to have no beliefs.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #32

Post by benchwarmer »

BeHereNow wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:47 am Let me explain to you how this works, real world, not text book.
Oh please do, I love it when people who appear to not understand how science works explain for us all how it actually works. Let me grab my popcorn. :chew:
BeHereNow wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:47 am Science, the establishment discipline of Science, is not about absolutes, it is about probability.
Science says the probability of any reported event is some number greater than zero. Nothing is impossible, in the absolute sense.
According to Science, no reported event has a zero chance of occurring.
Really. Fascinating!

This just in from benchwarmer news:

"Today we saw a black hole open above the Earth and rip it into pieces. Back to you Karen for the weather!"

According to user BeHereNow, who is busy explaining how science works, this event is not impossible and there is a nonzero probability this event happened. Even though we are all sitting here on Earth typing on our computers debating stuff. Cool! Tell us more BeHereNow!
BeHereNow wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:47 am And yet, we have people saying "I know the Bible is not true because the Science says so."
Personally, I don't even bother trying to bring Science into debunking the Bible. It's handy for debunking Christian ideas on scientific matters, but for debunking the Bible you just have to read the entire thing and try to make it all fit together. After noticing all the contradictions, conflicting theology, immoral ideas, etc. it pretty much falls apart on it's own. Using science is kind of like the icing on the cake when someone claims the Bible says something that the scientific method can actually be brought to bear on.
Last edited by benchwarmer on Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by BeHereNow »

[Replying to benchwarmer in post #32]

And yet scientists with PhDs, are religionists, and rely on their sacred scriptures, for all of that knowledge and understanding, that is not provided by Science.
No conflict.
But then, your science tells you things, that they say are not there. Simply a figment of your imagination, as far as they are concerned.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #34

Post by benchwarmer »

I honestly barely understand your reply. I'll try and parse it.

BeHereNow wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:20 pm [Replying to benchwarmer in post #32]

And yet scientists with PhDs,
Yes, many scientists have PhDs. No PhD is required to employ the scientific method though. Anyone can do it.
BeHereNow wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:20 pm are religionists,
Some professional scientists are theists. As long as their published work is backed by data, no one cares. If you are trying to claim science is a religion, that's a fail. If you think so, please tell us the commandments that scientists must follow to remain in this religion.
BeHereNow wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:20 pm and rely on their sacred scriptures, for all of that knowledge and understanding, that is not provided by Science.
Please give one example of sacred scriptures used by scientists. The entire point of advancing science and the peer review process is to attempt to find issues in previous science so problems are weeded out. Scientists welcome tossing out old ideas if new ideas cover all the data better. There is no sacred scripture.

This only tells me you have no clue how science works. Weren't you busy telling us how science works? Hmmm....
BeHereNow wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:20 pm No conflict.
But then, your science tells you things, that they say are not there. Simply a figment of your imagination, as far as they are concerned.
I have no clue what you are on about. Maybe an example might help us all be on the same page.

Miles
Savant

Post #35

Post by Miles »

And yet scientists with PhDs, are religionists, and rely on their sacred scriptures, for all of that knowledge and understanding, that is not provided by Science.
No conflict.
Your grammar here is a bit confusing. Did you mean to say

" . . . scientists with PhDs are religionists [who] rely on their sacred scriptures for all [........] knowledge and understanding that is not provided by science"?

And

"But then your science tells you things they say are not there. [They are] simply a figment of your imagination as far as they are concerned"?

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #36

Post by BeHereNow »

Miles wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:21 pm

No conflict.

" . . . scientists with PhDs are religionists [who] rely on their sacred scriptures for all [........] knowledge and understanding that is not provided by science"?

And

"But then your science tells you things they say are not there. [They are] simply a figment of your imagination as far as they are concerned"?
No.

Miles
Savant

Post #37

Post by Miles »

BeHereNow wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:50 am
Miles wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:21 pm

No conflict.

And

No.
Of course not. You meant to say

"And yet scientists with PhDs, are religionists, and rely on their sacred scriptures, for all of that knowledge and understanding, that is not provided by Science."

.. And

"But then, your science tells you things, that they say are not there. Simply a figment of your imagination, as far as they are concerned."

Grunt0311
Banned
Banned

Post #38

Post by Grunt0311 »

Since I worship God and not science if science disagrees with scripture the science is wrong.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #39

Post by benchwarmer »

Grunt0311 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:01 pm Since I worship God and not science if science disagrees with scripture the science is wrong.

So you worship scripture? Interesting... Which set of scripture do you worship?

If God were to appear and demonstrate some scientific conclusion wrong, then great! We update the science. Enjoy your scripture.

Miles
Savant

Post #40

Post by Miles »

Grunt0311 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:01 pm Since I worship God and not science if science disagrees with scripture the science is wrong.
Pretty convincing line of logic you've got going there, Grunt.

Since I worship science and not god, if god disagrees with the findings of science god is wrong.

............................ Image

.............................. The only alter where faith is superfluous.