Consciousness should be Most important topic in Science

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Swami
Sage

Consciousness should be Most important topic in Science

Post #1

Post by Swami »

Strategically speaking, should not one know about a tool before they use it? We rely on awareness to know things. Should not scientists understand consciousness before proclaiming materialism?

Strategically, the thinkers and traditions of the East are better suited to understand reality because of their focus on the nature of self.

This speaker explains

*self= consciousness

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Consciousness should be Most important topic in Science

Post #31

Post by JoeyKnothead »

mgb wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:13 pm People who use spiritual/psychic methods to obtain material goods are practicing magic (in league with evil spirits).
What's the emoticon for laughing hysterically while bemused someone would actually say that?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Swami
Sage

Post #32

Post by Swami »

mgb wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:13 pm
Swami wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:43 pm Billionaire Ray Dalio credits his success to 40 minutes of meditation per day
People who use spiritual/psychic methods to obtain material goods are practicing magic (in league with evil spirits).
These psychic methods are a natural consequence of increased awareness. The mystic Jesus knew this and relied on it. People usually function at a very low level of awareness.

The brain knows more than you are aware of. Everything that your senses has encountered in life is recorded in your memory. Your senses and brain can receive and process this information with or without your awareness. Meditation increases awareness of all your brain's information and not just the information that you are aware of receiving. To date, scientists are trying to figure out why savants know everything when all of this is just an increased awareness of their brain.
Tcg wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:43 pm
Swami wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:43 pm
Billionaire Ray Dalio credits his success to 40 minutes of meditation per day
Good for him. Absent verifiable evidence to support his conclusion, his claim is meaningless. Besides which I thought material wealth would be something Swamis and other meditationists would reject. Perhaps material wealth is grand for those at the top of the meditation heap but not for the average meditation shlep. If it was grand for all, those at the top couldn't benefit from their ascension to enlightenment and driving Ferraris.

Tcg
First you try to bully me, and now you mock me. Then you wonder why I do not take your debate challenges seriously. Any other brilliant ideas?

brunumb
Savant

Post #33

Post by brunumb »

Swami wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:03 pm These psychic methods are a natural consequence of increased awareness. The mystic Jesus knew this and relied on it. People usually function at a very low level of awareness.
We can't even be sure if (Bible) Jesus actually existed and yet you are able to tell us about the psychic methods he used. Amazing. :o
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Tcg
Savant

Post #34

Post by Tcg »

Swami wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:03 pm
Tcg wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:43 pm
Swami wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:43 pm
Billionaire Ray Dalio credits his success to 40 minutes of meditation per day
Good for him. Absent verifiable evidence to support his conclusion, his claim is meaningless. Besides which I thought material wealth would be something Swamis and other meditationists would reject. Perhaps material wealth is grand for those at the top of the meditation heap but not for the average meditation shlep. If it was grand for all, those at the top couldn't benefit from their ascension to enlightenment and driving Ferraris.

Tcg
First you try to bully me, and now you mock me. Then you wonder why I do not take your debate challenges seriously. Any other brilliant ideas?
Here's one, instead of ignoring the flaws I've identified with your claims, how about you address the facts I've presented. Your habitual claim of being bullied when in fact you've been asked to present verifiable evidence is growing old. Adding a claim of being mocked adds nothing to support your claims.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Swami
Sage

Post #35

Post by Swami »

Tcg wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:26 am Here's one, instead of ignoring the flaws I've identified with your claims, how about you address the facts I've presented. Your habitual claim of being bullied when in fact you've been asked to present verifiable evidence is growing old. Adding a claim of being mocked adds nothing to support your claims.
Tcg
Swami declines your request for debate and any further evidence. I have just read the rules and nothing has changed. I have not offered any "arguments". I have only offered insight. Insights "require no support". I see it as harassment because I am still being bombarded with requests for evidence despite what the rules clearly state.

Furthermore, the subjects that I cover are not something that I can prove to you or for you. This is part of the Western culture to expect instant results. It is up to you to do the field research if you really want the evidence.

:thanks:

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #36

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Swami wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:33 am Swami declines your request for debate and any further evidence. I have just read the rules and nothing has changed. I have not offered any "arguments". I have only offered insight. Insights "require no support". I see it as harassment because I am still being bombarded with requests for evidence despite what the rules clearly state.
"I know, I'll enter me into debate, and complain when pressed for evidence for my claims"."

I don't know y'all, ol swami might just have one of them extra higher up states of consciousness there, unless it's an attempt to avoid supporting claims, then, well, there's that.
swami wrote: Furthermore, the subjects that I cover are not something that I can prove to you or for you. This is part of the Western culture to expect instant results. It is up to you to do the field research if you really want the evidence.
"I know, I'll make claims in the science section of a website, and bash on the Western culture from which so much science has been derived."

Face it, you can't show you speak truth, but seek to use science in support, then fuss and cuss when the attempt fails.

"It's science y'all, I just can't use scientific principles show it is!"
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #37

Post by Tcg »

Swami wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:33 am
Tcg wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:26 am Here's one, instead of ignoring the flaws I've identified with your claims, how about you address the facts I've presented. Your habitual claim of being bullied when in fact you've been asked to present verifiable evidence is growing old. Adding a claim of being mocked adds nothing to support your claims.
Tcg
Swami declines your request for debate and any further evidence. I have just read the rules and nothing has changed. I have not offered any "arguments". I have only offered insight. Insights "require no support". I see it as harassment because I am still being bombarded with requests for evidence despite what the rules clearly state.
Rule 5 states this: Support your assertions/arguments with evidence. Do not persist in making a claim without supporting it. All unsupported claims can be challenged for supporting evidence. Opinions require no support, but they should not be considered as valid to any argument, nor will they be considered as legitimate support for any claim.

In a debate sub-forum, it is not harassment to be asked for evidence to support your claims. You'll note this specifically: All unsupported claims can be challenged for supporting evidence. That is exactly what is happening here. You are being challenged to provide supporting evidence.

Furthermore, the subjects that I cover are not something that I can prove to you or for you. This is part of the Western culture to expect instant results. It is up to you to do the field research if you really want the evidence.
It is not my duty to provide evidence to support your claims for you. It is yours. Given that I've received no results and yet continue my query, it is obvious that I don't expect "instant results." Of course, ad hominem arguments, as you continue to rely on don't add any value to a discussion where evidence is expected.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #38

Post by Tcg »

brunumb wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:23 pm
Swami wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:03 pm These psychic methods are a natural consequence of increased awareness. The mystic Jesus knew this and relied on it. People usually function at a very low level of awareness.
We can't even be sure if (Bible) Jesus actually existed and yet you are able to tell us about the psychic methods he used. Amazing. :o
Jesus seems to be a mirror in which folks see themselves. Mystics see Jesus as a mystic. Pacifists see him as a pacifist. I suspect vegans see him as a vegan, ignoring the fact he reportedly ate fish. Any reports that contradict what some want to see Jesus as are simply ignored. Those that somehow support what some want to see are emphasized. Rorschach Jesus.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom