Is science starting to misrepresent itself?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Sherlock Holmes

Is science starting to misrepresent itself?

Post #1

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Over the past thirty, perhaps even forty years, it's become increasingly clear to me how what is sometimes presented as "god vs science" or "creationism vs science" and so on, is actually the root of many of the perceived problems with these two areas of human thought. Because these are presented as contrasting, as alternative ways of interpreting the world, many people just assume that there is an underlying incompatibility.

But there is no incompatibility at all, there never was and the false implication that there is arose quite recently in fact. The vast majority of those who contributed to what we today call the scientific revolution and later the enlightenment, were not atheists - this might surprise some but it is true and should be carefully noted.

The growth of militant atheism (recently spearheaded by the likes of Richard Dawkins and the late Christopher Hitchens) has seen increasing effort placed on attacking "religion" and discrediting those who might regard "god" and "creation" as intellectually legitimate ideas, by implying that the layman must choose one or the other, you're either an atheist (for science) or a theist (a science "denier").

It is my position that there is no conflict whatsoever, for example God (an intelligent agency not subject to laws) gave rise to the universe (a sophisticated amalgam of material and laws) and we - also intelligent agencies - are gifted by being able to explore, unravel and utilize that creation.

There is nothing that can disprove this view, there is no reason to imply that those who adopt it are deluded, incompetent, poorly educated or any of that, that attitude is a lie and its reinforced at every opportunity in this and many other forums.
Last edited by Sherlock Holmes on Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

William
Savant

Re: Is science starting to misrepresent itself?

Post #271

Post by William »

[Replying to The Barbarian in post #270]
Other than maybe Asoka, who do you know of who had unlimited power or anything close to unlimited power, who responsibly handled it?
Is there such a thing within reach of any human being? I don't think so.

It is said of some Gods, [YHVH in particular] do have unlimited power. Is that to say YHVH is absolutely corrupt?
I have seen it argued that he is/they are.

But is that really the truth?

Today's Generated Message appears to be saying that it is judgment which is the problem...that if we observe the unfolding universe as something which is meant to be the way that it is, it is best accepted as such.

Observing Without Judgement
It is just one of those things.
We are not orphaned - we are authored

Therein, whether the human condition is woeful or hopeful - all is as it should be as it changes day to day...

I have not heard of Asoka until you mentioned him so will now watch the Netflix and get more informed.

Thanks for your feedback...most interesting... :)

We oppose deception
Unconditional Love
The Same Information
Welcome all experience
YHVH in particular

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #272

Post by The Barbarian »

Other than maybe Asoka, who do you know of who had unlimited power or anything close to unlimited power, who responsibly handled it?
William wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:26 pm Is there such a thing within reach of any human being? I don't think so.

It is said of some Gods, [YHVH in particular] do have unlimited power. Is that to say YHVH is absolutely corrupt?
I have seen it argued that he is/they are.

But is that really the truth?
God is a different category than human. So our limitations are not His.
I have not heard of Asoka until you mentioned him so will now watch the Netflix and get more informed.
He was imperfect, too. He regretted and atoned for some things he did early on. But he's the closest thing I know of to a human able to handle almost absolute power.
Thanks for your feedback...most interesting... :)
My pleasure.

William
Savant

Post #273

Post by William »

[Replying to The Barbarian in post #272]
Point is that human beings believe that absolute power is absolute corruption in the hands of humans beings.
Since they are limited, human beings cannot ever claim to have absolute power, so the saying isn't truthful.

He was imperfect, too. He regretted and ... ute power.

What does 'almost absolute power' mean.

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #274

Post by The Barbarian »

William wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:04 pm [Replying to The Barbarian in post #272]
Point is that human beings believe that absolute power is absolute corruption in the hands of humans beings.
Since they are limited, human beings cannot ever claim to have absolute power, so the saying isn't truthful.

He was imperfect, too. He regretted and ... ute power.

What does 'almost absolute power' mean.
Being able to do pretty much anything you want. If a human could have godlike power, that would corrupt him or her completely. Unless... perhaps having completely absolute power does something to one's outlook that then makes one indifferent to getting one's own way. All I know is that getting as close to that as humanly possible is very, very bad for us.

William
Savant

Post #275

Post by William »

[Replying to The Barbarian in post #274]
Being able to do pretty much anything you want. If a human could have godlike power, that would corrupt him or her completely. Unless... perhaps having completely absolute power does something to one's outlook that then makes one indifferent to getting one's own way.
What do we mean by being "god-like"? Many Sharman-types in there own ways have advised becoming 'like God" [Matthew 5:48 for example] and if we are to agree that being God isn't about getting ones own way, and if God has absolute power , we have to explain how one can have both absolute power and not get ones way at the same time.

The idea that "Being able to do pretty much anything you want" = absolute power may be a corrupted idea based upon equally corrupted ideas of what power actually is/represents, leading to a corrupted saying "Power corrupts"...

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #276

Post by The Barbarian »

Barbarian observes:
Being able to do pretty much anything you want. If a human could have godlike power, that would corrupt him or her completely. Unless... perhaps having completely absolute power does something to one's outlook that then makes one indifferent to getting one's own way.
What do we mean by being "god-like"?
Omnipotence.
and if we are to agree that being God isn't about getting ones own way, and if God has absolute power , we have to explain how one can have both absolute power and not get ones way at the same time.
I had the power to tell my kids what to do, and the ability to make them do it. Nevertheless, I often let them do what they would, even if I didn't think it was the best thing. It's part of the process of maturation. So I didn't get my way because I deferred to them in those things.
The idea that "Being able to do pretty much anything you want" = absolute power may be a corrupted idea based upon equally corrupted ideas of what power actually is/represents, leading to a corrupted saying "Power corrupts"...
I can only cite the results from known cases of humans with extraordinary power. It's not a very good thing for one's soul.

William
Savant

Post #277

Post by William »

[Replying to The Barbarian in post #276]
extraordinary power
Extraordinary power is allowed re the corrupt systems governing humans.