What is peer review?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Sherlock Holmes

What is peer review?

Post #1

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Often when debating atheism or questioning the evolution doctrine, the supporters of evolution will reject arguments against it made by scientists because they insist that only "peer reviewed" publications are to be trusted (else it must be pseudo science).

So I want to ask how does one decide whether a journal is or is not peer reviewed? what definition do people use to help them make this decision?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Re: What is peer review?

Post #261

Post by Eloi »

I do not mind what you think about me being here; it is not up to you to tell that ... or are you peer-reviewing my participation in the forum?

You are discriminating believers, since you are not talking about "articles about creationism" but about creationists. Do you see the diference?

I think this is the moment when I say: have an excelent day.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #262

Post by Jose Fly »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:36 pm Only a theory is expected to be testable, not an article or hypothesis or speculative opinion.
Oh my....

You're not aware that scientific articles often contain various aspects of a theory? And you honestly don't think scientific hypotheses need to be testable?

Wow.
Furthermore can you define what "scientific journal" is for me?
A journal that covers a scientific topic and adheres to the standards of science.
Since the Big Bang is a hypothesis, would any magazine with an article or discussion of it, not qualify in your opinion, as scientific journal?
Not necessarily, since popular magazines typically don't adhere to scientific standards (and no one expects them to). For example, they are under no obligation to utilize standard scientific terminology (being for public consumption they use more layperson friendly terms) nor do they adhere to scientific writing guidelines (and again, no one expects them to).
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #263

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

[Replying to Jose Fly in post #262]

Is Scientific American a scientific journal? and can you explain how you decided the answer to this question?

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #264

Post by Jose Fly »

Eloi wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:45 pm I do not mind what you think about me being here; it is not up to you to tell that ... or are you peer-reviewing my participation in the forum?
This isn't complicated. This is a forum for debates, as evidenced by the title and how it's managed (e.g., topics are moved out of this sub-forum if they don't contain a debate topic).

If you're not here to debate, that leads to an obvious question....why are you here?
You are discriminating believers, since you are not talking about "articles about creationism" but about creationists. Do you see the diference?
Incorrect. If you'll notice, I've been quite careful in differentiating between creationism and creationists. Creationists can be, and are in many cases, fine scientists. I actually work with some. But, they don't inject creationism into their work.
You too.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #265

Post by Jose Fly »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:50 pm [Replying to Jose Fly in post #262]

Is Scientific American a scientific journal? and can you explain how you decided the answer to this question?
It's a magazine, as they clearly describe themselves.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/page ... -american/

"Founded 1845, Scientific American is the oldest continuously published magazine in the United States."

Miles
Savant

Post #266

Post by Miles »

Eloi wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:45 pm I do not mind what you think about me being here; it is not up to you to tell that ... or are you peer-reviewing my participation in the forum?

Hold on, don't run away. Like JoeyKnothead I too would like to see your algorithm. It's not very often one gets to see something that's both novel and worthwhile. No judgment of it on my part. I promise.