What is peer review?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Sherlock Holmes

What is peer review?

Post #1

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Often when debating atheism or questioning the evolution doctrine, the supporters of evolution will reject arguments against it made by scientists because they insist that only "peer reviewed" publications are to be trusted (else it must be pseudo science).

So I want to ask how does one decide whether a journal is or is not peer reviewed? what definition do people use to help them make this decision?

otseng
Savant

Re: What is peer review?

Post #221

Post by otseng »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:01 pmjust underlines how little of this subject you understand.
:warning: Moderator Warning

Please debate without making personal comments.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #222

JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:50 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:01 pm This might come as a shock to you but there are sound compelling biblical arguments for universal salvation
You can't even show the god in question exists to do him some salvating.
Sherlock Holmes wrote: That is every single person will be saved and receive eternal life and there is no literal "burning" in hell. Much of that claptrap arose in mediaeval times and this just goes to show how so many people have a view of the Bible that is not based on what it says but based on what people claim it says, based on centuries of religious dogma. Few people can read a Bible without already holding a huge amount of preconceived baggage influencing jhow they perceive what they read.
Do be kind and try to put some truth to that bit of preaching.
Sherlock Holmes wrote: So I for one have no belief people are to be endlessly tortured, that is pure medieval mythology and just underlines how little of this subject you understand.
Please note, I grew me up an atheist in the Bible Belt, I've heard me plenty a time I'm gonna burn in Hell.

But yeah, now we gotta ponder on what it is folks oughta be expecting the salvating from.
Precisely your impressions of "the Bible" and "Christianity" and so on are deeply colored, deeply influenced by what you were exposed to when growing up. It will be very hard for you (if you wanted to that is) examine the Bible or Christianity in any objective way because of this. If all you know of it is what you've heard or seen all your life in various local Baptist and other communities then it's hard, hard to separate the Bible from all the noise.

It will be very hard for you to open a Bible and read any of it without all these memories of your own upbringing rushing in.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #223

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Edited to fix a word...
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:24 pm Precisely your impressions of "the Bible" and "Christianity" and so on are deeply colored, deeply influenced by what you were exposed to when growing up.
Yeah, like how the Christian can't even show their God exists to do him the salvationing they can't show he does.
Sherlock Holmes wrote: It will be very hard for you (if you wanted to that is) examine the Bible or Christianity in any objective way because of this.
In what objective way can you show God does him some salvationing?
Sherlock Holmes wrote: If all you know of it is what you've heard or seen all your life in various local Baptist and other communities then it's hard, hard to separate the Bible from all the noise.
What I 'heard' was a claim God does some salvationing, and now your excuse making about how my interactions with religion / the religious somehow interferes with your ability to show you speak truth.
Sherlock Holmes wrote: It will be very hard for you to open a Bible and read any of it without all these memories of your own upbringing rushing in.
Notice what's happening here, dear observer...

Our claimant makes a claim, and I challenged that claim.

So instead of our claimant just fessing up and admitting they can't show they speak truth...

We get diversionary tactics designed to deflect attention away from the challenge at hand.

Folks're cautioned against concluding our claimant here's just another lying preacher - and that site rules don't prohibit ya from doing just that.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Sherlock Holmes

Post #224

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:37 pm Edited to fix a word...
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:24 pm Precisely your impressions of "the Bible" and "Christianity" and so on are deeply colored, deeply influenced by what you were exposed to when growing up.
Yeah, like how the Christian can't even show their God exists to do him the salvationing they can't show he does.
Sherlock Holmes wrote: It will be very hard for you (if you wanted to that is) examine the Bible or Christianity in any objective way because of this.
Sherlock Holmes wrote: If all you know of it is what you've heard or seen all your life in various local Baptist and other communities then it's hard, hard to separate the Bible from all the noise.
What I 'heard' was a claim God does some salvationing, and now your excuse making about how my interactions with religion / the religious somehow interferes with your ability to show you speak truth.
Sherlock Holmes wrote: It will be very hard for you to open a Bible and read any of it without all these memories of your own upbringing rushing in.

So instead of our claimant just fessing up and admitting they can't show they speak truth...

We get diversionary tactics designed to deflect attention away from the challenge at hand.

Folks're cautioned against concluding our claimant here's just another lying preacher - and that site rules don't prohibit ya from doing just that.
This is between you and God, nothing to do with me, not my responsibility to "show" anything to you, take it up with God or just be an atheist, I mean what is all the fuss about? if you're convinced that nobody can ever convince you then why perpetuate all this? just be an atheist and move on.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #225

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:53 pm

This is between you and God, nothing to do with me, not my responsibility to "show" anything to you, take it up with God or just be an atheist, I mean what is all the fuss about? if you're convinced that nobody can ever convince you then why perpetuate all this? just be an atheist and move on.
It's your claim.

But as is so typical, you refuse to take responsibility for your claims.

Yet again, I caution the observer about thinking this'n here's just a lying preacher, as I note site rules don't prevent ya from the doing it.
-Punkinhead Martin

otseng
Savant

Post #226

Post by otseng »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:30 pmThere are too many self important people like Dawkins
Moderator Comment

Best not to describe others in a condescending manner.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #227

Post by The Tanager »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:24 pmIt's your claim.

Yet again, I caution the observer about thinking this'n here's just a lying preacher, as I note site rules don't prevent ya from the doing it.
Moderator Comment

Please refrain from making personal comments

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #228

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:24 pm

It's your claim.

I always take "responsibility" for my claims. I can always give you the reasoning underpinning them and I've done this many times.

You don't accept my arguments and so what? You not accepting or agreeing with something I say is not the same as me not supporting a claim!

This is a joint effort Joey, supporting my arguments is my only responsibility, getting your agreement is not something I take any responsibility for.

The burden of proof does not include the burden of getting the other party to accept that proof.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #229

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:57 am

It's your claim.

I always take "responsibility" for my claims. I can always give you the reasoning underpinning them and I've done this many times.

You don't accept my arguments and so what? You not accepting or agreeing with something I say is not the same as me not supporting a claim!

This is a joint effort Joey, supporting my arguments is my only responsibility, getting your agreement is not something I take any responsibility for.

The burden of proof does not include the burden of getting the other party to accept that proof.
Lol

"God saves cause I believe God saves" ain't an argument, it's just a preacher plying his trade.
-Punkinhead Martin

Sherlock Holmes

Post #230

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:35 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:57 am

It's your claim.

Lol

"God saves cause I believe God saves" ain't an argument, it's just a preacher plying his trade.
Who presented the argument "God saves cause I believe God saves"? or is this something you made up?