Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

A 6 Day Creation

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 961 here:
EarthScienceguy wrote: There is now more evidence than ever before about 6-day creation.
For debate:

Please offer evidence for a literal six day creation of the Universe.

Please remember that in this section of the site the Bible is not considered authoritative.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Sherlock Holmes

Re: A 6 Day Creation

Post #431

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Eloi wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:18 pm Yeah, sure ... You can call Neanderthal an abatwa, and homosapiens an abatutsi without even mention that both of them are humans in order to make believe that they are two different species 8-)

I have a couple of cousins myself on my mother's side that if someone found their bones in about 1000 years from now would say they were Neanderthals :P
Well said.

I've been drinking in Wales with guys that seemed to have something like this skull shape!

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #432

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Eloi in post #430]
Yeah, sure ... You can call Neanderthal an abatwa, and homosapiens an abatutsi without even mention that both of them are humans in order to make believe that they are two different species.
I didn't make the taxonomic classification that separated Homo sapien from Homo neanderthalensis, but we do have full genomic sequences for both and can identify the differences. Apparently that is enough for the toxonomy gurus to place them as separate species or subspecies within the human lineage. Do you consider Homo ergaster/erectus also the same species as modern humans? What about Homo habilis? Where do you (or biblical interpretation) draw the line as to what is "human" and what isn't as far as the genus Homo?

Presumably, if it is believed that there were two original fully-formed, modern humans (eg. Adam and Eve were modern Homo sapiens) that were poofed into existence by a god, there would not have been any prior ancestors in the human lineage that were not also modern Homo sapiens, correct? So where would Neanderthals (or any other menber of genus Homo besides sapien) fit it? It seems they could not exist, yet we have many fossils of many archaic Homo members that preceeded Homo sapiens ... far too many to assume they were all defects of some sort. Or do you allow that Adam and Eve could have been archaic humans and not modern Homo sapiens?
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #433

Post by JoeyKnothead »

[Replying to DrNoGods in post #429]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interbr ... ern_humans

For em interested.

Wiki link presented as a starting point more'n an authority.

Fascinating topic.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #434

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #433]
Fascinating topic.
It certainly is for those who appreciate the implications of the past few decades of genetics work, and more than a century of fossil discoveries and analysis, and what these reveal for how us Homo sapiens actually did get here. I'd be curious to see where the creationists place Adam and Eve on this figure from the Wikipedia article, even considering that it is only our current best guess based on the accumulated (fossil and genetic) evidence:

In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

Mark Twain

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #435

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to DrNoGods in post #434]
Sometimes I even wonder what is the reason that they have not yet invented a "species" of primitive man that has appeared in the Americas instead of in the Eastern Hemisphere of the World; weren't there apes here? Or do they not realize that the origin of humans is not what they imagine?

Nor do I have the slightest idea what criteria will be followed by those in charge to decide how to call the owner of a piece of skull or other bone that is buried somewhere... Aren't they calling "species" what it is only a normal race of human beings, like the ones that exist today? All races are nothing more than genetic variations of the same species. Dividing ancient humans into species is like making believe that human races differ in evolutionary status.

Another problem they have is the dating of those bones. C14 dating depends on atmospheric radiation, mostly sunlight. That amount of years that they give to the biological remains that are found is not certain at all. It is mandatory that the atmospheric radiation has been constant since the burial until the remains were found, and that the comparison can be made between the amount of C14 in the remains and a similar one alive in the same area. The condition that the radiation has not changed in that place from then until now is taken as certain... which, obviously, is only an assumption.

It seems even unlikely to me how these bone datings make them exceed even the age of the longest-living trees in the world that are still alive and continue to receive C14; none of those longest-lived trees exceed 6 millennia of life... how did a small buried bone fragment do it? 50 or 60 millennia? Did you know that this is the maximum that can be given to a biological residue by the C14 radiation method? Seriously? Are they giving the maximum because they can't give more?

Also, why do they consider them the bones of human ancestors, instead of just considering them as the remains of apes, as they might normally be?

All this hodgepodge of speculation depends on what a few decide they want to say... You people who go around saying you have a ton of proof for the evolution of man are just repeating what that little group decided you would believe.
Last edited by Eloi on Sat May 28, 2022 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #436

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Eloi in post #435]
Sometimes I even wonder what is the reason that they have not yet invented a "species" of primitive man that has appeared in the Americas instead of in the Eastern Hemisphere of the World; weren't there apes here? Or do they not realize that the origin of humans is not what they imagine?
The Americas were not populated with any kind of humans when human evolution started in Africa, so you would not expect to find archaic human fossils in the Americas because there weren't any.
Nor do I have the slightest idea what criteria will be followed by those in charge to decide how to call the owner of a piece of skull or other bone that is buried somewhere... Aren't they calling "species" what it is only a normal race of human beings, like the ones that exist today? All races are nothing more than genetic variations of the same species. Dividing ancient humans into species is like making believe that human races differ in evolutionary status.
Species and race are completely different things. There is only one extant species of human today and that is Homo sapiens. All the predecessors are extinct.
Another problem they have is the dating of those bones. C14 dating depends on atmospheric radiation, mostly sunlight. That amount of years that they give to the biological remains that are found is not certain at all. It seems even unlikely to me how these bone datings make them exceed even the age of the longest-living trees in the world that are still alive and continue to receive C14; none of those longest-lived trees exceed 6 millennia of life... how did a small buried bone fragment do it? 50 or 60 millennia? Did you know that this is the maximum that can be given to a biological residue by the C14 radiation method? Seriously? Are they giving the maximum because they can't give more?
What? 14-C dating is indeed only good to about 40,000 - 50,000 years, but 14-C is NOT used to date archaic human fossils (or anything else older than the range 14-C is good for). There are lots of other isotopic combinations that are used for older ages. Also, 14-C in the atmosphere does not depend on "sunlight", unless you're including in that term cosmic rays and other energetic particles. Did you think 14-C is the only method of radiometric dating, and used to date archaic human fossils?
Also, why do they consider them the bones of human ancestors, instead of just considering them as the remains of apes, as they might normally be?
You really need to read up more on this whole subject. The significant differences in the fossils are why a new genus was defined called Homo, and more than enough examples have been found to definitively determine this. But humans are apes taxonomicaly, so all the archaic human fossils that have been found are technically considered the remains of apes ... just not the apes you are evidently thinking of.
All this hodgepodge of speculation depends on what a few decide they want to say... You people who go around saying you have a ton of proof for the evolution of man are just repeating what that little group decided you would believe.
But it isn't speculation ... we have the fossil record as well as 4-5 decades of genetics work to show that modern humans did indeed evolve from a great ape ancestor. We have many pieces of that puzzle but not all of the puzzle ... plenty enough to draw sensible conclusions. Don't believe it if you wish ... that doesn't change the facts one iota.
John Paul Jones, 1779

Mark Twain

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #437

Post by Eloi »

DrNoGods wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:38 pm [Replying to Eloi in post #435]
The Americas were not populated with any kind of humans when human evolution started in Africa, so you would not expect to find archaic human fossils in the Americas because there weren't any.
Are you kidding me? I am talking about apes in America ... There were not "any kind of human" in Africa, since what you are saying is that they started to appear. So, why they didn't in America? Because of lack of apes? :?
DrNoGods wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:38 pm
Species and race are completely different things. There is only one extant species of human today and that is Homo sapiens. All the predecessors are extinct.

That you say. That taxonomic classification they are making to those bones is based on apparent physical characteristics (according to the physical assumption that the artist or program gives to the rest of the owner of the bone).

All humans, regardless of the race we have, have specific genes ... not just the bones found. If they analyze the bones of the different graves of the same cemetery in a multiracial country, the results will be the same.
Another problem they have is the dating of those bones. C14 dating depends on atmospheric radiation, mostly sunlight. That amount of years that they give to the biological remains that are found is not certain at all. It seems even unlikely to me how these bone datings make them exceed even the age of the longest-living trees in the world that are still alive and continue to receive C14; none of those longest-lived trees exceed 6 millennia of life... how did a small buried bone fragment do it? 50 or 60 millennia? Did you know that this is the maximum that can be given to a biological residue by the C14 radiation method? Seriously? Are they giving the maximum because they can't give more?
What? 14-C dating is indeed only good to about 40,000 - 50,000 years, but 14-C is NOT used to date archaic human fossils (or anything else older than the range 14-C is good for). There are lots of other isotopic combinations that are used for older ages. Also, 14-C in the atmosphere does not depend on "sunlight", unless you're including in that term cosmic rays and other energetic particles. Did you think 14-C is the only method of radiometric dating, and used to date archaic human fossils?
Tell us more about these combinations and other methods used to date archaic human fossils.
You really need to read up more on this whole subject. The significant differences in the fossils are why a new genus was defined called Homo, and more than enough examples have been found to definitively determine this. But humans are apes taxonomicaly, so all the archaic human fossils that have been found are technically considered the remains of apes ... just not the apes you are evidently thinking of.
Apes are apes ... humans are humans. The link betwen is just a story. I don't need stories to sleep, I told that already. What I meant is I only read what I need to know; I don't need a whole conference of 3 hours to believe that the brain of an ape become bigger because it learnt how to cook ... at the very first moment of hearing the joke I turn off the video and use my time doing something more instructive.
But it isn't speculation ... we have the fossil record as well as 4-5 decades of genetics work to show that modern humans did indeed evolve from a great ape ancestor. We have many pieces of that puzzle but not all of the puzzle ... plenty enough to draw sensible conclusions. Don't believe it if you wish ... that doesn't change the facts one iota.
No, you only got some pieces of bones.

Now I'm talking about the alleged change from ape to man... You have said that those little bones belong to intermediate links... THAT is speculation.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #438

Post by Difflugia »

Eloi wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:10 pmNor do I have the slightest idea what criteria will be followed by those in charge to decide how to call the owner of a piece of skull or other bone that is buried somewhere...
So, you have absolutely no idea how a working paleontologist would go about identifying a bone fragment, but you know in your heart of hearts that their answers are wrong?

If I may, I'd like to suggest that you read this insightful comment by a fellow forum member that I think applies here.
Eloi wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:10 pmAnother problem they have is the dating of those bones. C14 dating depends on atmospheric radiation, mostly sunlight. That amount of years that they give to the biological remains that are found is not certain at all. It is mandatory that the atmospheric radiation has been constant since the burial until the remains were found, and that the comparison can be made between the amount of C14 in the remains and a similar one alive in the same area. The condition that the radiation has not changed in that place from then until now is taken as certain... which, obviously, is only an assumption.
Nearly every word of this is wrong.

Every few years, the journal Radiocarbon publishes an issue with updates to the IntCal radiocarbon calibration curves. Each of those issues generally includes an article that explains the overall theory and methodology involved in generating the curves, including any changes to either since the previous calibration. While the most recent calibration issue was published in 2020, the 2013 IntCal issue includes this article that I think is particularly helpful and readable. It explains the problems that necessitate calibration and why each of the selected datasets helps to overcome those problems to allow accurate and robust dating.

I harbor no delusions that you'll be any more convinced of the validity of radiometric dating in the first place, but I hope that you'd at least like a better understand of the science you're arguing against.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #439

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Eloi in post #437]
Are you kidding me? I am talking about apes in America ... There were not "any kind of human" in Africa, since what you are saying is that they started to appear. So, why they didn't in America? Because of lack of apes?
Are you serious (or kidding)? The first members of the genus Homo appeared in Africa, and evolved from a great ape ancestor there. This ancestor did not exist in the Americas (north or south) so obviously humans could not have evolved in the Americas along the same evolutionary path that they did in Africa. The earliest evidence of humans in the Americas is around 30,000 years ago ... many tens of thousands of years after they were spread all over Africa and adjacent areas, and after Neanderthals had gone extinct in Europe. Why on earth would you think humans could have evolved in the Americas??

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-53486868
All humans, regardless of the race we have, have specific genes ... not just the bones found. If they analyze the bones of the different graves of the same cemetery in a multiracial country, the results will be the same.
I can't make any sense of this. Of course an analysis of bones found in a cemetery anywhere today would show the DNA composition of that individual, and since the only extant species of Homo that exists now are Homo sapiens, the DNA and genes would be representative of a Homo sapien. "Race" is a social construct, not a biological term.
Tell us more about these combinations and other methods used to date archaic human fossils.
There are hundreds if not thousands of websites, books, journal articles, etc. describing radiometric dating techniques and all of the different isotopic combinations that are used, for all kinds of samples including human fossils. 14-C is common for relatively recent, organic material but is useless for anything more than about 50,000 years old. For those samples, other isotopes must be used. Here are a couple of short articles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiometric_dating

https://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/geotime/radiometric.html
I don't need a whole conference of 3 hours to believe that the brain of an ape become bigger because it learnt how to cook ... at the very first moment of hearing the joke I turn off the video and use my time doing something more instructive.
I think the general consensus is that it was a combination of things that led to increasing brain size and complexity (eg. more neocortex) and not just cooking food. But you already have the answer you believe anyway, and have apparently shut out any interest in learning what science thinks about the subject, despite it being a very interesting topic and certainly far more realistic than that a god being just poofed us into existence fully formed as we are now.
John Paul Jones, 1779

Mark Twain

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #440

Post by Eloi »

DrNoGods wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:58 pm [Replying to Eloi in post #437]
Are you kidding me? I am talking about apes in America ... There were not "any kind of human" in Africa, since what you are saying is that they started to appear. So, why they didn't in America? Because of lack of apes?
Are you serious (or kidding)? The first members of the genus Homo appeared in Africa, and evolved from a great ape ancestor there. This ancestor did not exist in the Americas (north or south) so obviously humans could not have evolved in the Americas along the same evolutionary path that they did in Africa. The earliest evidence of humans in the Americas is around 30,000 years ago ... many tens of thousands of years after they were spread all over Africa and adjacent areas, and after Neanderthals had gone extinct in Europe. Why on earth would you think humans could have evolved in the Americas??

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-53486868
You are not answering my question. It seems that you don't understand it... maybe I'm not explaining myself well.
What is the reason that there are no ape remains "linked" to man in America?
DrNoGods wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:58 pm
I can't make any sense of this. Of course an analysis of bones found in a cemetery anywhere today would show the DNA composition of that individual, and since the only extant species of Homo that exists now are Homo sapiens, the DNA and genes would be representative of a Homo sapien. "Race" is a social construct, not a biological term.
Tell us clearly what is the criteria to say that a bone is from a kind of normal ape or from a kind of human-linked ape.
There are hundreds if not thousands of websites, books, journal articles, etc. describing radiometric dating techniques and all of the different isotopic combinations that are used, for all kinds of samples including human fossils. 14-C is common for relatively recent, organic material but is useless for anything more than about 50,000 years old. For those samples, other isotopes must be used. Here are a couple of short articles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiometric_dating

https://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/geotime/radiometric.html
I see: you don't know any other method "used to date archaic human fossils" but C14 ... You were bluffing.
I know of other methods of dating ... but not human fossils, as you say. Any other than C14?
I don't need a whole conference of 3 hours to believe that the brain of an ape become bigger because it learnt how to cook ... at the very first moment of hearing the joke I turn off the video and use my time doing something more instructive.
I think the general consensus is that it was a combination of things that led to increasing brain size and complexity (eg. more neocortex) and not just cooking food. But you already have the answer you believe anyway, and have apparently shut out any interest in learning what science thinks about the subject, despite it being a very interesting topic and certainly far more realistic than that a god being just poofed us into existence fully formed as we are now.
A consensus is not evidence of anything.

Do not make us dizzy ... if you are so convinced of this whole matter, why are your answers so imprecise and ambiguous and yet you still pretend you have answers to the questions??