Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

A 6 Day Creation

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 961 here:
EarthScienceguy wrote: There is now more evidence than ever before about 6-day creation.
For debate:

Please offer evidence for a literal six day creation of the Universe.

Please remember that in this section of the site the Bible is not considered authoritative.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Sherlock Holmes

Re: A 6 Day Creation

Post #201

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Jose Fly wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:07 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:00 pm That's rather a lot of words to say that yes you agree with me - uniformitarianism is nothing more than an assumption.
I've not said otherwise.

Uniformitarianism is an assumption. Yes, we assume that in the past the earth was spherical and not flat, gravity existed, erosion happened, plate tectonics happened, volcanoes erupted, the earth orbited the sun......

Apparently you see those as completely unwarranted and inaccurate assumptions and believe there's a superior way to investigate the past. Again....then put that into practice. Otherwise all you're doing is grousing about a paradigm that's been in use for over 200 years.

Shrug
I don't know how you convinced yourself that that's "apparently" how I "see things", I think you make up a lot of stuff.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #202

Post by Jose Fly »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:32 pm
Jose Fly wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:07 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:00 pm That's rather a lot of words to say that yes you agree with me - uniformitarianism is nothing more than an assumption.
I've not said otherwise.

Uniformitarianism is an assumption. Yes, we assume that in the past the earth was spherical and not flat, gravity existed, erosion happened, plate tectonics happened, volcanoes erupted, the earth orbited the sun......

Apparently you see those as completely unwarranted and inaccurate assumptions and believe there's a superior way to investigate the past. Again....then put that into practice. Otherwise all you're doing is grousing about a paradigm that's been in use for over 200 years.

Shrug
I don't know how you convinced yourself that that's "apparently" how I "see things", I think you make up a lot of stuff.
Do you then agree that those assumptions are justified and accurate?
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

brunumb
Savant

Post #203

Post by brunumb »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:34 am
brunumb wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:47 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:39 pm Consistent models have been constructed where (what we consider to be) laws varied over time, changing in accordance with yet deeper laws of change. These are legitimate models but cannot be tested because their outcomes are the same as a universe with unchanging laws, assume either way, you get the same result...
Please present these models, or at least provide links to where these models may be examined.

Are the Laws of Physics Changing?
That article said nothing like what you claimed. Good grief.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #204

brunumb wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:05 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:39 pm Consistent models have been constructed where (what we consider to be) laws varied over time, changing in accordance with yet deeper laws of change. These are legitimate models but cannot be tested because their outcomes are the same as a universe with unchanging laws, assume either way, you get the same result...
Please present these models, or at least provide links to where these models may be examined.

I'm sorry, tell me then, what were you expecting exactly?

brunumb
Savant

Post #205

Post by brunumb »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:07 pm

I was expecting you to honestly back up what you claimed.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

Sherlock Holmes

Post #206

brunumb wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:14 pm

I did just that.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #207

Post by Diagoras »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:05 pm
brunumb wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:05 pm That article said nothing like what you claimed. Good grief.
I did just that.
Perhaps the laws of online debate changed in the meantime, too? :-D

Sherlock Holmes

Post #208

Diagoras wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:02 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:05 pm
brunumb wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:05 pm That article said nothing like what you claimed. Good grief.
I did just that.
Perhaps the laws of online debate changed in the meantime, too? :-D
Lets recap, this began when I said:
Holmes wrote:Consistent models have been constructed where (what we consider to be) laws varied over time, changing in accordance with yet deeper laws of change. These are legitimate models but cannot be tested because their outcomes are the same as a universe with unchanging laws, assume either way, you get the same result...
this was responded to:
brunumb wrote:Please present these models, or at least provide links to where these models may be examined.
to which I responded:
to which brunumb responded with:
brunumb wrote:That article said nothing like what you claimed. Good grief.
to which I replied:
Holmes wrote:I'm sorry, tell me then, what were you expecting exactly?
predictably replied to by brunumb with:
brunumb wrote:I was expecting you to honestly back up what you claimed.
These are the facts, I stand by what I posted and prepared to discuss this but brunumb simply dismisses what I provided and you it seems want to play that same game too.

If you actually want to discuss the theme of that which was that we can and have created theories in physics where (what we regard as) laws can in fact vary and that these models predict outcomes that are consistent with observation then I was happy to do so, but juvenility seems never far way here sometimes.

brunumb
Savant

Post #209

Post by brunumb »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:19 am These are the facts, I stand by what I posted and prepared to discuss this but brunumb simply dismisses what I provided and you it seems want to play that same game too.
What was contained in the article you provided the link for did not support the claims you made. No game being played. Did you even read the article yourself, or simply Google a question and post the link which seemed to support your case?

Here is what you claimed:
The article in the link below presents no such models.

From the article:
The spacing of absorption lines from 72 distant quasars seems to indicate that the fine structure constant was 0.001% smaller billions of years ago--a conclusion that would dash fundamental assumptions in physics.

Lennox Cowie, of the University of Hawaii's Institute for Astronomy in Manoa, is skeptical. He believes that the absorbing clouds vary in composition, which could cause a similar change in spacing. But the team believes it has accounted for that effect, and Prochaska says that the case is strengthened further by more recently analyzed data. Yet, to convince the skeptics, another team needs to repeat the observation with a different telescope and instrument, he admits. "That would be the proof of the pudding."

Diagoras
Guru

Post #210

Post by Diagoras »

[Replying to Sherlock Holmes in post #208]

What I'm most interested in discussing in this thread is whether you (or anyone else) can provide "evidence for a literal six day creation of the Universe."

We haven't seen much of that so far.