Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

A 6 Day Creation

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 961 here:
EarthScienceguy wrote: There is now more evidence than ever before about 6-day creation.
For debate:

Please offer evidence for a literal six day creation of the Universe.

Please remember that in this section of the site the Bible is not considered authoritative.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Sherlock Holmes

Re: A 6 Day Creation

Post #411

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Jose Fly wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:31 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:24 pm So you affirm that we can distinguish between the two alternative but refuse to say how you think we can do that, OK well that's a claim unsupported by evidence right there.
Uh.....no, that's not what I said at all. In fact, your characterization is so disconnected from what I said, it's rather bizarre.
When asked if you agree or disagree with the proposition "It is an inarguable fact that science cannot be used to show the universe was not created six thousand years ago with an appearance of great age (or rather with characteristics that we choose to interpret as great age)."

You replied "Of course I disagree".

Therefore you must believe that science can be used to distinguish these two cases, you must take that view if you disagree with the proposition.

Yet you cannot show me how you make the distinction, what scientific test you believe we can use to distinguish the two cases - that is your position is unsupported, it is an opinion, a belief.
Jose Fly wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:31 pm
It is self evident.
How so?
I don't understand the question. Anything that is self-evident does not require supporting evidence or arguments, I regard "I exist" as self evident and likewise I regard "the past and future do not exist" as equally self evident.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #412

Post by Jose Fly »

Eloi wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:37 pm Evolutionists have no direct evidence for evolution...
Sure we do, we see it happening all the time. But that doesn't really matter to you, as you explained earlier.
However, the age of the Universe is scientifically calculated quite accurately. There are several scientific methods currently used to make the calculation, as explained before ... As I said in another comment, the Bible DOES NOT SAY when the Universe was created, so there is no reason to deny the more or less exact calculations that have been made.
I'm curious about this. The Bible also doesn't say how God created things, does it? It just says God let things happen, right? God "let the earth bring forth vegetation", "let the waters teem with living creatures".

So where does the Bible say that God didn't create by letting things evolve?
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #413

Post by Eloi »

The truth is, neither I do understand what this means "the universe was (...) created six thousand years ago with an appearance of great age (or rather with characteristics that we choose to interpret as great age)". It sounds like something made up. Sorry.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #414

Post by Jose Fly »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:39 pm When asked if you agree or disagree with the proposition "It is an inarguable fact that science cannot be used to show the universe was not created six thousand years ago with an appearance of great age (or rather with characteristics that we choose to interpret as great age)."

You replied "Of course I disagree".

Therefore you must believe that science can be used to distinguish these two cases, you must take that view if you disagree with the proposition.
Good grief man...you are so frustrating to talk with sometimes. Again I have to plead with you to.....pay attention!

To repeat: Your question assumes your assertions, i.e., that gods exist, that they create universes, and that they do so in deceptive ways.
Yet you cannot show me how you make the distinction, what scientific test you believe we can use to distinguish the two cases - that is your position is unsupported, it is an opinion, a belief.
Please try to pay attention....please.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #415

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Eloi in post #413]
It sounds like something made up. Sorry.
It is ... apparently as a pure thought experiment. IF such a thing were in any way possible then it would theoretically not be possible via science to distinguish an actual 4.6 billion year old Earth and one that came about via this hypothetical event, because by definition they would be virtually identical in every way. A devious god playing tricks is the only explanation for why any such scenario could exist, and that is just more god magic.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

Sherlock Holmes

Post #416

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Jose Fly wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:42 pm I'm curious about this. The Bible also doesn't say how God created things, does it?
It does, it reveals this:

“You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they were created
and have their being.”

God's will is how things were created (as opposed to laws, forces, causality).

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #417

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to DrNoGods in post #415]
Well, on that I agree. Many times in the Bible the Creator tells humans to look at animals and other creations to learn from them. Scientists have done that many times; they have copied mechanisms that exist in nature and have achieved important technological advances.

If the Universe were just an illusion, our understanding of it would be futile, and God would be misleading humans by enticing them to study and learn from creation.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #418

Post by Jose Fly »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:50 pm
Jose Fly wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:42 pm I'm curious about this. The Bible also doesn't say how God created things, does it?
It does, it reveals this:

“You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they were created
and have their being.”

God's will is how things were created (as opposed to laws, forces, causality).
How does that preclude evolution?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #419

Post by Clownboat »

Eloi wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:37 pm Evolutionists have no direct evidence for evolution...
Woops! I'm guessing you ment something other then evolution.

Evidence for evolution
https://www.khanacademy.org/science/bio ... -evolution
Key points:
Evidence for evolution comes from many different areas of biology:
Anatomy. Species may share similar physical features because the feature was present in a common ancestor (homologous structures).
Molecular biology. DNA and the genetic code reflect the shared ancestry of life. DNA comparisons can show how related species are.
Biogeography. The global distribution of organisms and the unique features of island species reflect evolution and geological change.
Fossils. Fossils document the existence of now-extinct past species that are related to present-day species.
Direct observation. We can directly observe small-scale evolution in organisms with short lifecycles (e.g., pesticide-resistant insects).
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #420

Post by Eloi »

When I refer to EVOLUTION I mean MACROEVOLUTION. Stop your fairytales. Don't you get tired of repeating the same untruths to yourself over and over again? Nobody has evidence for macroevolution.

Saying that two animals look alike is like saying that the sky and the sea are both blue. It's the dumbest thing anyone can come up with as proof of evolution. Excuse my honesty.

I have already read and heard many lectures about how apes developed the brain by learning how to cook. How far with your stories you'll go?

Ants have bigger brains compared to the size of their bodies, even than humans themselves. How human does that make them?