Is it reasonable to assume a creator?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Sherlock Holmes

Is it reasonable to assume a creator?

Post #1

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

I think most would agree that the universe is a rationally intelligible system. We can discover structures, patterns, laws and symmetries within the system. Things that happen within the system seem to be related to those laws too. So given all this is it not at least reasonable to form the view that it is the work of an intelligent source? Isn't it at least as reasonable or arguably more reasonable to assume that as it is to assume it just so happens to exist with all these laws, patterns just there, with all that takes place in the universe just being fluke?

If we take some of the laws of physics too, we can write these down very succinctly using mathematics, indeed mathematics seems to be a language that is superb for describing things in the universe, a fine example being Maxwell's equations for the electromagnetic field. Theoretical physicists often say they feel that they are discovering these laws too:

So if the universe can be described in a language like mathematics doesn't that too strongly suggest an intelligent source? much as we'd infer if we stumbled upon clay tablets with writing on them or symbols carved into stone? Doesn't discovery of something written in a language, more or less prove an intelligent source?

So isn't this all reasonable? is there anything unreasonable about this position?

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Re: Is it reasonable to assume a creator?

Post #381

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to AquinasForGod in post #380]
Do you think married bachelors can exist?
No, by the very definition of what a bachelor is (ie. an unmarried man). It is a contradiction.
What about a 2D shape that simultaneously has 3 sides and 4 sides?
Again, by simple definition a 2D shape cannot also be a 3D shape. However, a 2D shape can certainbly have 3 sides (a triangle) or 4 sides (a square or rectangle). Spinning a 2D shape could create a 3D shape integrated over time, but I assume you meant this as a stationary 2D planar shape simultaneously being a 3D shape having a volume. That is also a contradiction.
If not, why not? Do you have empirical evidence these things cannot exist or do you rely on reasoning alone?
The examples above are contradictory by simple definition, whereas the existence of gods or a single necessary being are purely hypothesis. It is possible to create a definition for a god (there are many), or a necessary being, or infer their existence through various arguments, but these do not prove existence. I know many people who claim their favorite god must exist because "how else could all of nature have gotten here", or they have convinced themselves that their prayers are answered, or they have some other belief that they have a relationship with this being. But these are very different from the married bachelor question.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #382

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to DrNoGods in post #381]

So then you agree that you do not know these things by empirical evidence but by tautology and reasoning. If you used no reasoning the tautology would be of no use.

BTW, I was talking of a 2D shape only, itself having 3 sides and 4 sides simultaneously, such as a triangle-square, which seems impossible if it is a 2D shape existing in 2 dimensions only. 3D would not be possible because it is limited to two dimensions. If it exists in only the x/y axis then it could not spin in the z axis to produce something 3D.

So if we can only know some things without empirical evidence, why should I need to have empirical evidence for God in order for my view to be reasonable?

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #383

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to AquinasForGod in post #382]
So then you agree that you do not know these things by empirical evidence but by tautology and reasoning. If you used no reasoning the tautology would be of no use.
Not sure I follow this. I know that a married bachelor cannot exist because of the unambiguous definition of the words married, and bachelor. Those definitions would seem to be more like axioms than empirical evidence, but no reasoning is involved in rejecting the existence of a married bachelor because simple definition prevents it.
BTW, I was talking of a 2D shape only, itself having 3 sides and 4 sides simultaneously, such as a triangle-square, which seems impossible if it is a 2D shape existing in 2 dimensions only. 3D would not be possible because it is limited to two dimensions. If it exists in only the x/y axis then it could not spin in the z axis to produce something 3D.
You didn't elaborate on the definition in the earlier post but only used the phrase "2D shape" ... which leaves open the possibility of any 2D "shape" such as triangles and squares, and the possiblilty to spin in 3D space. But if you restrict the 2D shape to an existence in 2D space, then obviously it could not spin.
So if we can only know some things without empirical evidence, why should I need to have empirical evidence for God in order for my view to be reasonable?
I wouldn't argue that your view is unreasonable. Humans have often attributed things they don't understand to god beings (probably the first and most fundamental reason people have invented so many gods over the millennia). As science has progressed, the number of gods has decreased and I believe monotheism still covers well over half of the world's religious populations today (Abrahamic religions alone being some 50-55% of the total). Arguments for a "necessary being" appear to be based on philosophical ideas similar to the various ontological arguments:

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/onto ... arguments/

People have argued these (and disagreed on details and interpretations) since the 11th century. I wouldn't call the ideas unreasonable, but they don't convince me that such a being exists or is necessary to the exclusion of a purely natural explanation for whatever functions this necessary being is claimed to be necessary for.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

Mark Twain

William
Savant

Post #384

Post by William »

[Replying to DrNoGods in post #383]
I wouldn't call the ideas unreasonable, but they don't convince me that such a being exists or is necessary to the exclusion of a purely natural explanation for whatever functions this necessary being is claimed to be necessary for.
I would add that it does not matter then, that you are unconvinced, simply because you already have no need for such a being to exist, and no reason given has been acceptable to you on account of that lack of need already recognized within the psyche of your self.

It is the nature of Fairy Farts to waft off in all directions possible, and your position is one such direction.

The direction I wafted on the wind of, includes the possibility that the thing referred to as "purely natural" may be a creation, so I remain open and vigil to that question...

Same propellent - different perspectives.

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #385

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to DrNoGods in post #383]
Not sure I follow this. I know that a married bachelor cannot exist because of the unambiguous definition of the words married, and bachelor. Those definitions would seem to be more like axioms than empirical evidence, but no reasoning is involved in rejecting the existence of a married bachelor because simple definition prevents it.
How would you come to conclude that the definitions contradict each other if you didn't have the ability to reason? That is, without the ability to reason, you would be ignorance of what contradiction is. You wouldn't be able to conclude that a marriage bachelor cannot exist unless you reasoned first that the two definitions are in conflict.
I wouldn't argue that your view is unreasonable. Humans have often attributed things they don't understand to god beings (probably the first and most fundamental reason people have invented so many gods over the millennia). As science has progressed, the number of gods has decreased and I believe monotheism still covers well over half of the world's religious populations today (Abrahamic religions alone being some 50-55% of the total). Arguments for a "necessary being" appear to be based on philosophical ideas similar to the various ontological arguments:
We are getting closer to our disagreement. For me it is not about not understanding things and plugging God in. There are questions that science just cannot ever answer, such as what exactly is change? Why is there anything at all? Is there purpose?

For these kinds of questions, we need metaphysics because we need to come up with first principles. Now whatever first principles we come up with, we need to follow them to their logical conclusions, so long as the end result doesn't contradict scientific data but can offer an explanation for all that data.

One of the first principles I start with is that change is a potential being actualized by something actual. I haven't found a better first principle that explains what change is and results in a metaphysics that explains scientific data and answers the big questions. Anyway, this leads to scholastic metaphysics.

As a logical consequence, the being that is existence itself, that is purely actual emerges. If I don't like that consequence I can go back to the drawing board and find new first principles and see what the logical consequence of that model might be.

Interestingly enough, the models that successfully avoid such a necessary being tend to have what I think is a far less believable consequence: something came to exist spontaneously and the properties the first things have (simples) are just there by brute fact without any explanation at all.

Nah, I will stick to the model that doesn't have as a consequence spontaneous existence and properties that have no explanation for why they are the way they are.

BTW, have you ever looked into the alternative natural models that try to avoid God? Do you see the consequences being more believable than a purely actual actualizer?

Or do you take the position of, excuse my harshness, that of a lazy person that goes, well, I don't care about all that.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #386

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to AquinasForGod in post #385]
Or do you take the position of, excuse my harshness, that of a lazy person that goes, well, I don't care about all that.
When I'm not dealing with everyday life and all of those issues, and have time to ponder philosophical things, I usually don't even think about questions such as why do we exist, or is there is higher purpose for our existence, etc. I have no interest in these kinds of issues because I don't see them as having any relevance to my existence or future plans or fate. I don't believe that gods, or a necessary being, exist now or ever have existed (arrived at that position in my late 20s ... decades ago), or that humans have afterlives of any kind. So it follows that pondering some of the questions you brought up would not make any sense for someone like me.

It isn't laziness. I've already been through the decision making process and landed on atheism over belief in gods or necessary beings. Nothing I've learned since that decision has changed my mind, but if a god being made itself known in some way that was convincing to me ... I'd be happy to flip. I just see no evidence (or need) for their existence, or for philosophical efforts to try and justify them.
John Paul Jones, 1779

Mark Twain

Clownboat
Savant

Post #387

Post by Clownboat »

AquinasForGod wrote:Or do you take the position of, excuse my harshness, that of a lazy person that goes, well, I don't care about all that.

How did this universe come about?:
1) I don't know, let's investigate.
2) God did it.

What causes thunder and lighting?:
2) The gods!

Why is this person raving mad:?
2) Demons!

Which route is truly the easy/lazy route?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

William
Savant

Post #388

Post by William »

[Replying to DrNoGods in post #386]
Nothing I've learned since that decision has changed my mind, but if a god being made itself known in some way that was convincing to me ... I'd be happy to flip.
I myself doubt that this could ever be achieved for you, due to your making it the way that it is, through your own decisions, rather than through any god failing to pay you a visit.

Same propellent - different perspectives.

Any god-being: Okay - I have risen to your challenge. You see me now. Are you ready to flip?

DrNoGods: Of course not! You are simply a product of my brain which obviously is having some kind of malfunction which has caused this delusion.

William
Savant

Post #389

Post by William »

How did this universe come about?:
2) God did it?
3) It did itself?

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #390

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to William in post #388]
I myself doubt that this could ever be achieved for you, due to your making it the way that it is, through your own decisions, rather than through any god failing to pay you a visit.
It was achieved for me the first 20 or so years of my life. I was immersed in Christianity from birth and never questioned it, assuming (as I had been taught) that it was the only "true" religion. Then I got older, got an education, met some Hindus and many people who practiced other religions, and decided to study the subject enough to decide for myself whether I believed any of it, or if any of the thousands of gods that humans had invented were actually real, if the possibility of an afterlife was actually a real thing, etc. At the end of the process I was convinced that gods most likely do not exist, humans don't have afterlives, and I've seen nothing since to convince me otherwise.

So it was through my own decisions, but if any god had "paid me a visit" (then, or since) I would change my mind if the episode was convincing enough. I don't categorically deny the existence of gods (never have) ... I've simply never seen any evidence for their existence, or for anything supernatural of any kind. I don't believe in gods for exactly the same simple reason I don't believe in ghosts, fairies, the boogieman, spirits, etc. ... no evidence for them.
John Paul Jones, 1779

Mark Twain