Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

The Thesist and non-Theist Brain

Post #1

Post by William »

"I am only able to see gibberish"

I am presently sharing my Generated Messages with a variety of internet platforms and have noticed that non-theists insist that they only see 'gibberish' [unintelligible or meaningless speech or writing; nonsense.] whereas with theists - no matter what particular belief they have - they appear to be able to - at least - get the gist of any GM - even if some of it is not understood.

To begin with, I was highly skeptical and thought that non-theists were being disingenuous [pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.] and in that, I used other ways in which to try and help them to understand what was taking place, [such as diagrams and analogies], but nothing helped.

This has lead me to question my skepticism and I am now wondering if it is just the case that once an individual unreservedly believes that they - the mind/consciousness - are nothing more than brain chemicals, anything contrary to that understanding simply isn't able to penetrate because "The Mind' only happens in brains and is the reason minds exist."

Is it the case that
1. non-theists are simply unable to 'get their head around ideas' which are outside of the idea that we are simply emergent properties of brains, [every other idea is gibberish/gobbledygook

or

2. are they just being disingenuous?

brunumb
Savant

Re: The Thesist and non-Theist Brain

Post #51

Post by brunumb »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:01 am Truths that might be out there are beyond the reach of the atheist because their materialist position itself prevents then from ever discovering anything that is outside of scientism. This is why some speak of "gibberish" - they cannot understand that their choice of worldview inhibits intellectual growth.
Truths that might be out there only become truths when they are revealed as such. Claiming such truths actually exist without being able to demonstrate it is just a lot of irrelevant hand-waving. What so-called truths have been discovered on the basis of theism? Also, please show how the worldview of anyone who is an atheist inhibits their intellectual growth.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #52

Post by Purple Knight »

William wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:50 pm "I am only able to see gibberish"

I am presently sharing my Generated Messages with a variety of internet platforms and have noticed that non-theists insist that they only see 'gibberish' [unintelligible or meaningless speech or writing; nonsense.] whereas with theists - no matter what particular belief they have - they appear to be able to - at least - get the gist of any GM - even if some of it is not understood.

To begin with, I was highly skeptical and thought that non-theists were being disingenuous [pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.] and in that, I used other ways in which to try and help them to understand what was taking place, [such as diagrams and analogies], but nothing helped.

This has lead me to question my skepticism and I am now wondering if it is just the case that once an individual unreservedly believes that they - the mind/consciousness - are nothing more than brain chemicals, anything contrary to that understanding simply isn't able to penetrate because "The Mind' only happens in brains and is the reason minds exist."

Is it the case that
1. non-theists are simply unable to 'get their head around ideas' which are outside of the idea that we are simply emergent properties of brains, [every other idea is gibberish/gobbledygook

or

2. are they just being disingenuous?
I understand you plenty, the vast majority of what you say, and I'm a non-theist. But I'm also extremely intelligent (as in, eligible for triple nines) and I do this thing where I simultaneously consider all ideas as true as a part of the process of trying to weed them out.

There's a third option here that I don't want to say is probably true, but might need considering: The theists are being disingenuous by saying they understand you. They see words, phrases, and ideas they like and feign understanding enough to make you think they get it because you and they are on the same team. Their brains might be urging them that even though this is a bit beyond them, this fellow is on their side so it's great if your understanding is greater than theirs. Plus to their team, they think.

I'm actually going for option 2 as most probable, however. I think the internet is bursting full of non-theists who can be a bit closed-minded.

You get accused of generating gibberish because your posts are long. And disingenuous gaslighters can get away with it, making a short post (which people will read) to dismiss your long one which those same people did not read. The disingenuous can thusly make you look a fool, and they know they can, so they do.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #53

Post by Purple Knight »

brunumb wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:52 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:01 am Truths that might be out there are beyond the reach of the atheist because their materialist position itself prevents then from ever discovering anything that is outside of scientism. This is why some speak of "gibberish" - they cannot understand that their choice of worldview inhibits intellectual growth.
Truths that might be out there only become truths when they are revealed as such. Claiming such truths actually exist without being able to demonstrate it is just a lot of irrelevant hand-waving. What so-called truths have been discovered on the basis of theism? Also, please show how the worldview of anyone who is an atheist inhibits their intellectual growth.
I actually get him. Certainly some of these truths that are out there do exist. And it's important to explore them and not be dismissive. In fact, being the opposite of dismissive and diving full into the excitement of the might-be is probably helpful. What I do is I assume everything is true and dive in in a self-contained attempt to explain reality within this assumption and it's shockingly helpful.

So bottom line is I agree with you because I do this perfectly well and I'm an atheist.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #54

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Purple Knight wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:59 pm I understand you plenty, the vast majority of what you say, and I'm a non-theist. But I'm also extremely intelligent (as in, eligible for triple nines) and I do this thing where I simultaneously consider all ideas as true as a part of the process of trying to weed them out.
I never met me an intelligent, who had to tell me how much of it they was. But I've met me more'n one less than intelligent'n to do it.

My experience has been smart folks are smart enough to know even the stupid'ns'll know how smart that smarten there is. Like how Cindy King don't run around town telling how pretty it is, she is, cause she's got all them boys (and a few girls) chasing her around ahollering it such, she can't fit a word in edgewise.

It's just a bit of empty bragging without some means of confirming it.
There's a third option here that I don't want to say is probably true, but might need considering: The theists are being disingenuous by saying they understand you. They see words, phrases, and ideas they like and feign understanding enough to make you think they get it because you and they are on the same team. Their brains might be urging them that even though this is a bit beyond them, this fellow is on their side so it's great if your understanding is greater than theirs. Plus to their team, they think.
As always, your ability to see all angles serves you, and us, well.
I'm actually going for option 2 as most probable, however. I think the internet is bursting full of non-theists who can be a bit closed-minded.

You get accused of generating gibberish because your posts are long. And disingenuous gaslighters can get away with it, making a short post (which people will read) to dismiss your long one which those same people did not read. The disingenuous can thusly make you look a fool, and they know they can, so they do.
A closer reading'll show he was fussing about these "generated messages", where an algorithm or some such is stringing words together without direct human guidance, not the length of posts.

I reject any argument that says the length or brevity of a post is indicative of the quality of the argument put forth in em.

Some folks can tell a lifetime of tales with just a few words. Others might need em a whole book to do it.

Neither one's right or wrong there, just one's more economical in the telling it.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #55

Post by JoeyKnothead »

brunumb wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:52 pm
Very much.

So we ask, "What are these out there truths getting revealed by any such 'out tbere' message?"

Best I can tell, "God, nor me, neither one, like how it is you carry on" will come up often as red wigglers after a soaking rain.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #56

Post by Tcg »

Jose Fly wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:27 pm
Help me understand.....do the Generated Messages actually contain a real message? If so, do the theists consistently and accurately pick up on that message?
In the same way that these do:

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #57

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Tcg wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:52 pm
Jose Fly wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:27 pm
Help me understand.....do the Generated Messages actually contain a real message? If so, do the theists consistently and accurately pick up on that message?
In the same way that these do:

That'ns easy - feller got drunk and ate him too much blueberries.
-Punkinhead Martin

William
Savant

Post #58

Post by William »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #52]
There's a third option here that I don't want to say is probably true, but might need considering: The theists are being disingenuous by saying they understand you.
Disingenuous - not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

William
Savant

Post #59

Post by William »

[Replying to DrNoGods in post #50]

Adding to the list doesn't get to the nitty-gritty and what you added just underlines the idea that on matters of the mind, there can be no agreement between theist and non-theist mind-sets, so there is really no point in arguing.

The theist mind-set simply understands that the mind is seen working through the form, even if the form has no brain.

Whereas, the non-theist does not see that as being the case, because no brain is evident.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #60

Post by Purple Knight »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:40 pm
I reject any argument that says the length or brevity of a post is indicative of the quality of the argument put forth in em.
True, but often what will happen when someone makes a long post, is that someone just looking to win comes along and says, "That's a bunch of gibberish," because he knows most people will read his short post declaring the long one gibberish, but they didn't read the long one. So this guy saying "it's gibberish" is making the person who put thought into a long post look stupid with minimal effort. It's sad, but it works, because people don't read.

It's just a cheap (and sadly, effective) tactic.
William wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:29 pm [Replying to Purple Knight in post #52]
There's a third option here that I don't want to say is probably true, but might need considering: The theists are being disingenuous by saying they understand you.
Disingenuous - not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.
Just understand it's a third option. It's actually not the one I chose to be the most likely, but people do sometimes mindlessly agree with others who share their views, theists and atheists alike. They sometimes find things to agree with, because they're trying to agree with it.