Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

The Thesist and non-Theist Brain

Post #1

Post by William »

"I am only able to see gibberish"

I am presently sharing my Generated Messages with a variety of internet platforms and have noticed that non-theists insist that they only see 'gibberish' [unintelligible or meaningless speech or writing; nonsense.] whereas with theists - no matter what particular belief they have - they appear to be able to - at least - get the gist of any GM - even if some of it is not understood.

To begin with, I was highly skeptical and thought that non-theists were being disingenuous [pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.] and in that, I used other ways in which to try and help them to understand what was taking place, [such as diagrams and analogies], but nothing helped.

This has lead me to question my skepticism and I am now wondering if it is just the case that once an individual unreservedly believes that they - the mind/consciousness - are nothing more than brain chemicals, anything contrary to that understanding simply isn't able to penetrate because "The Mind' only happens in brains and is the reason minds exist."

Is it the case that
1. non-theists are simply unable to 'get their head around ideas' which are outside of the idea that we are simply emergent properties of brains, [every other idea is gibberish/gobbledygook

or

2. are they just being disingenuous?

William
Savant

Re: The Thesist and non-Theist Brain

Post #81

Post by William »

brunumb wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:09 pm
William wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:16 pm Apparently the planet existing as it does, is not enough evidence for the non-theist to accept that the planet is conscious and intelligent.
Are you suggesting that all theists accept that the planet is conscious and intelligent?
No more than I would suggest that all non-theists are atheists.

brunumb
Savant

Post #82

Post by brunumb »

William wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:56 pm [Replying to Sherlock Holmes in post #72]

Given that what you say is true - the only thing left to do is to disengage.
When you can't demonstrate that what you speak is the truth, run away.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #83

Post by Purple Knight »

William wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:39 amthe buddy system where another non-theist [and often strings of non-theists] set about having a good laugh commenting on a post which isn't even relevant to the thread topic.
I see this a lot. I admit I'm ashamed and at a loss that I don't really know what to do about it.
William wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:39 amWhy should theists waste their time engaging, is what the OP is asking.
You should only give your time to people who are genuinely listening.

brunumb
Savant

Post #84

Post by brunumb »

Purple Knight wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:14 pm You should only give your time to people who are genuinely listening.
The problem is that for some people that means only those who are agreeing with what one is saying.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #85

Post by Purple Knight »

brunumb wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:17 pm
Purple Knight wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:14 pm You should only give your time to people who are genuinely listening.
The problem is that for some people that means only those who are agreeing with what one is saying.
The people you describe aren't really listening either.

I try to not only understand but actually explore what someone is saying and not be dismissive. Even if I don't happen to think something is true, I suspend my disbelief when I'm analyzing it and I think that's the only way that's really fair. If it's actually false I eventually come to a contradiction anyway, but I don't go down that road long enough to come to that devastating speedbump unless I actually travel down the road.

William
Savant

Post #86

Post by William »

brunumb wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:12 pm
William wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:56 pm [Replying to Sherlock Holmes in post #72]

Given that what you say is true - the only thing left to do is to disengage.
When you can't demonstrate that what you speak is the truth, run away.
A non-theist would see it that way due to their understanding of the mind. By all means, if it helps you to see it that way, be the "winner." :)

I have no horse in that race...

otseng
Savant

Post #87

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Locking this thread for multiple violation reports. Also, the OP lends to talking about posters, rather than a topic.

Moderator actions indicate that a thread/post has been locked, moved, merged, or split.