Radioactive dating

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

dad1
Under Suspension

Radioactive dating

Post #1

Post by dad1 »

The basis for dating using ratios of isotopes is faith based. One example is that if we see an existing amount of parent and daughter material together, it is assumed that the present processes at work today are wholly responsible for all the material.

Jose Fly
Guru

Re: Radioactive dating

Post #31

Post by Jose Fly »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:19 pm The claim that the Earth orbits the Sun (or more precisely their barycenter) is most certainly not an assumption, it follows directly from other assumptions.
Why not? Did anyone directly observe the earth orbiting the sun 150,000 years ago? 1 million years ago? 250 million years ago? How do you know that the gods didn't manipulate things so that the earth didn't orbit the sun until relatively recently?
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #32

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Jose Fly wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:45 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:19 pm The claim that the Earth orbits the Sun (or more precisely their barycenter) is most certainly not an assumption, it follows directly from other assumptions.
Why not?
Because it follows directly from other assumptions.
Jose Fly wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:45 pm Did anyone directly observe the earth orbiting the sun 150,000 years ago? 1 million years ago? 250 million years ago?
How can we find out?
Jose Fly wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:45 pm How do you know that the gods didn't manipulate things so that the earth didn't orbit the sun until relatively recently?
I don't know for sure. But personally I'm prepared assume the model we have of the universe represents reality.

Are you asking these questions with some goal in mind?

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #33

Post by Jose Fly »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:33 pm
Why not?
Jose Fly wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:45 pm Did anyone directly observe the earth orbiting the sun 150,000 years ago? 1 million years ago? 250 million years ago?
How can we find out?
Jose Fly wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:45 pm How do you know that the gods didn't manipulate things so that the earth didn't orbit the sun until relatively recently?
I don't know for sure. But personally I'm prepared assume the model we have of the universe represents reality.

Name one thing, besides your own existence, that you know to be true.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #34

Jose Fly wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:35 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:33 pm
Why not?
How can we find out?

Name one thing, besides your own existence, that you know to be true.
Why?

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #35

Post by Jose Fly »

[Replying to Sherlock Holmes in post #34]
Because I'm interested in your answer. So again....Name one thing, besides your own existence, that you know to be true.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #36

Jose Fly wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:40 pm [Replying to Sherlock Holmes in post #34]
Because I'm interested in your answer. So again....Name one thing, besides your own existence, that you know to be true.
No, I suggest you start a topic in the Philosophy area and clearly state your thesis and question there.

This thread was created to discuss the role played by assumption in radioactive dating techniques.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #37

Post by Jose Fly »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:42 pm
Jose Fly wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:40 pm [Replying to Sherlock Holmes in post #34]
No, I suggest you start a topic in the Philosophy area and clearly state your thesis and question there.

This thread was created to discuss the role played by assumption in radioactive dating techniques.
LOL....figured. You know what the point is and where I was going, but rather than go down that road you opt to deflect and hope it goes away.

Avoiding uncomfortable reality is the creationists' superpower.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #38

Jose Fly wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:45 pm

LOL....figured. You know what the point is and where I was going, but rather than go down that road you opt to deflect and hope it goes away.

I respectfully suggest you start a topic in the Philosophy area and clearly state your thesis and question there, see if it attracts any interest from people.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #39

Post by Jose Fly »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:48 pm

I respectfully suggest you start a topic in the Philosophy area and clearly state your thesis and question there, see if it attracts any interest from people.
I suggest you actually answer the question, since you're the one who has been going on and on about "assumptions" and the like.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #40

Jose Fly wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:51 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:48 pm

I suggest you actually answer the question, since you're the one who has been going on and on about "assumptions" and the like.
Let me remind you what the rest of us have been discussing Jose:
The basis for dating using ratios of isotopes is faith based. One example is that if we see an existing amount of parent and daughter material together, it is assumed that the present processes at work today are wholly responsible for all the material.
If you want to discuss something else then go ahead, start a thread and clearly state your thesis and questions.