Radioactive dating

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

dad1
Under Suspension

Radioactive dating

Post #1

Post by dad1 »

The basis for dating using ratios of isotopes is faith based. One example is that if we see an existing amount of parent and daughter material together, it is assumed that the present processes at work today are wholly responsible for all the material.

dad1
Under Suspension

Re: Radioactive dating

Post #51

Post by dad1 »

DrNoGods wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:35 pm
I'm not disputing Relativity or time dilation, just pointing out that it isn't relevant to radiometric dating of things on Earth.
Speaking of relevant can you show that radioactive decay existed at all in Noah's day? (what science dates to about 70 million years ago probably) If you can't then you can't apply present day decay to that time.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #52

Post by Jose Fly »

dad1 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:06 pm
I'm not disputing Relativity or time dilation, just pointing out that it isn't relevant to radiometric dating of things on Earth.
Speaking of relevant can you show that radioactive decay existed at all in Noah's day? (what science dates to about 70 million years ago probably) If you can't then you can't apply present day decay to that time.
Since SH refuses to answer, perhaps you can take a crack at it....

Can you name one thing, other than your own existence, that you know to be true?
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #53

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

[Replying to Jose Fly in post #52]

I only refused to answer it in this thread.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #54

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to dad1 in post #51]
70 million years ago? Where did you get that number? Is that when you think Noah's flood happened? There were no humans 70 million years ago (not to mention a universe if you believe biblical chronology and the creation story), so it surely was not that long ago (biblical chronology says more like 4200 years ago). How to you go about drowning all the evil humans you've created before they even existed?

But we can say for sure that atoms existed in the mythical Noah's day (there was no such person ... he's another one of those that is claimed to have lived to 950 after having his first kid at 500 and starting a large boat build at 600 ... really?). Since atoms did exist 4200 years ago, and 70 million years ago, we know that radioactive decay must have also existed. And we can observe isotopic spectral emission lines from stars that are many hundreds of millions of light years away which proves that isotopes of various atoms existed.

Science is good about answering questions like this ... religion not so much. It is the difference between making up things (religion) and measuring things (science).
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

Sherlock Holmes

Post #55

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

[Replying to Jose Fly in post #52]

Actually there's already a thread for your question:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=39352

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #56

Post by Jose Fly »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:15 pm [Replying to Jose Fly in post #52]

I only refused to answer it in this thread.
LOL....that's one of the funniest means of avoidance I've seen from a creationist in quite some time. Thanks for the laugh.

The question is entirely relevant to the topic of this thread and the creationists' posts on it.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #57

Post by Jose Fly »

DrNoGods wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:24 pm But we can say for sure that atoms existed in the mythical Noah's day
Given the creationists' arguments here, I don't think they can say that. After all, it is possible that the gods did something to where matter was made up of something other than atoms, is it not?

dad1
Under Suspension

Post #58

Post by dad1 »

Jose Fly wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:11 pm

Can you name one thing, other than your own existence, that you know to be true?
One would think that those claiming science supports them would have something true to post on topic. For example, the question you just avoided.
"can you show that radioactive decay existed at all in Noah's day? (what science dates to about 70 million years ago probably)"

Pi in the sky dimestore philosophy or attempted trick questions are just time wasting.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #59

Post by Jose Fly »

dad1 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:43 pm
Jose Fly wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:11 pm

One would think that those claiming science supports them would have something true to post on topic. For example, the question you just avoided.
"can you show that radioactive decay existed at all in Noah's day? (what science dates to about 70 million years ago probably)"

Pi in the sky dimestore philosophy or attempted trick questions are just time wasting.
LOL....more avoidance from creationists. Obviously the question has struck a nerve, which is itself rather revealing.

I'm reminded of something Difflugia pointed out in the "How crazy" thread....do the creationists actually think they're doing well in these debates? Do they think the ones who constantly refuse to answer questions, refuse to back up their claims, and ignore data and info that contradicts their arguments are the winning side? Do they really think the lurkers look at that sort of consistent avoidance behavior and conclude "Yep, those guys are kicking butt"?

Some of my colleagues ask me why I bother debating creationists, and my response is usually the same....it's not so much the specific subject of evolution v creationism that draws me in, it's the behaviors of the creationists that fascinates me. I'm both baffled and fascinated at how people can behave this way but also be completely oblivious to it, and actually convince themselves that they're on the right side.

It's also quite entertaining at times, which helps.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #60

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to dad1 in post #58]
Not clear who you are responding to as you quoted Jose Fly but with one of my comments inside. So I'll respond to my comment above. Read post 54 where I did respond, and I asked a question that you didn't answer. When do you think Noah's flood happened? No trick question here ... you used "70 million years ago probably" to refer to something, and from your comment above that appears to be Noah's flood. If you think that occurred 70 million years ago that is a real problem for biblical chronology as well as a 6000 year old universe.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain