Are Religious Beliefs Delusional?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Diogenes
Guru

Are Religious Beliefs Delusional?

Post #1

Post by Diogenes »

In clinical practice, no clear guidelines exist to distinguish between "normal" religious beliefs and "pathological" religious delusions. Historically, psychiatrists such as Freud have suggested that all religious beliefs are delusional, while the current DSM-IV definition of delusion exempts religious doctrine from pathology altogether. ....
Religious beliefs and delusions alike can arise from neurologic lesions and anomalous experiences, suggesting that at least some religious beliefs can be pathological. Religious beliefs exist outside of the scientific domain; therefore they can be easily labeled delusional from a rational perspective.....
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15990520/
The question for debate is stated in the title, Are Religious Beliefs Delusional?
A subordinate question: Should we distinguish between a learned belief in supernatural phenomena and those who believe and attribute their beliefs to personal experience... and how could we tell?

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Re: Are Religious Beliefs Delusional?

Post #41

Post by Inquirer »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:31 pm
Inquirer wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:11 pm Sorry, but that's delusional, God and ghosts are entirely different things not the same.
:blink:

Poor ol' holy ghost don't get no respect.
Just because you've been misled about the term "ghost" doesn't help you here. Only the KJV translators ever chose to use the word "ghost" - why didn't you know this?

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #42

Post by Inquirer »

William wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:32 pm
Inquirer wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:11 pm
William wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:06 pm
Inquirer wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:15 pm
William wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:37 pm [Replying to Inquirer in post #32]

Q: What do you mean by the term "religious" belief? how does it differ from a non-religious belief?

William: A "religious belief" has to do with the branch of Theism which attempts to Dress The Ghost - [dressing The Ghost through the use of imagery is an attempt to make The Ghost be seen.] which is what religion does with the idea of GOD...this itself stems from the idea that we exist within a creation, something which still hasn't been established.
Thus Theism - and the religious branch in particular, place the cart before the horse.

viewtopic.php?p=1084694#p1084694
I see, so we're really asking if a belief in ghosts is delusional, why didn't you just ask that then in the first place?
It isn't immediately obvious that when folk are yapping about "GOD" they are talking about a Ghost. Same as when folk yap about Spirits....
Sorry, but that's delusional, God and ghosts are entirely different things not the same.
For now, your unsupported statement has to be treated as opinion...
That makes two of us then.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #43

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:57 pm
Inquirer wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:11 pm Sorry, but that's delusional, God and ghosts are entirely different things not the same.

Just because you've been misled about the term "ghost" doesn't help you here. Only the KJV translators ever chose to use the word "ghost" - why didn't you know this?
lol

"That bible there's it the wrong one to use."

Which bible / translation can we trust?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

otseng
Savant

Post #44

Post by otseng »

Moderator Comment

It's probably impossible to avoid in this thread, but let's avoid characterizing another poster as delusional.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #45

Post by Inquirer »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:56 pm

lol

I did not say the KJV was the "wrong one to use" pretty much every translation has value, those seriously interested in hermeneutics will have several translations at their disposal, personally I never rely on just one translation, its a recipe for error as you have learned with this "ghost" claim.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #46

Post by Difflugia »

Inquirer wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:11 pm
William wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:06 pmIt isn't immediately obvious that when folk are yapping about "GOD" they are talking about a Ghost. Same as when folk yap about Spirits....
Sorry, but that's delusional, God and ghosts are entirely different things not the same.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:31 pmPoor ol' holy ghost don't get no respect.
Inquirer wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:42 amI did not say the KJV was the "wrong one to use" pretty much every translation has value, those seriously interested in hermeneutics will have several translations at their disposal, personally I never rely on just one translation, its a recipe for error as you have learned with this "ghost" claim.
I think the "recipe for error" involves picking a peculiar definition, but not telling us what it is. Insulting others for not knowing exactly what you're thinking smacks of chutzpah.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #47

Post by Clownboat »

Inquirer wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:42 am I did not say the KJV was the "wrong one to use" pretty much every translation has value, those seriously interested in hermeneutics will have several translations at their disposal, personally I never rely on just one translation, its a recipe for error as you have learned with this "ghost" claim.
It is not logical that an all powerful God would create a book with a message for all, only to require pastors, priests and theologians to then interpret said book.
I'm sure the Holy Ghost agrees.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #48

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:42 am

lol

I did not say the KJV was the "wrong one to use" pretty much every translation has value, those seriously interested in hermeneutics will have several translations at their disposal, personally I never rely on just one translation, its a recipe for error as you have learned with this "ghost" claim.
Which ones are in the group of "pretty much every"?

And what disqualifies the KJV from being in among that bunch?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Clownboat
Savant

Post #49

Post by Clownboat »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:58 pm
Inquirer wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:42 am

lol

Which ones are in the group of "pretty much every"?

And what disqualifies the KJV from being in among that bunch?
Here is my experience with churches and their use of different translations.

"Now turn to verse X. Here, God is meaning x,y and z. Now on to the next verse, which I'll use the Amplified for half of it and then the NIV for the remaining half. See, it means what I was claiming at the start!"

In a nutshell:
1) Go to the Bible and find only the verses that agree with you. Skip any that refute your point.
2) If you can't find anything that agrees with you, try another translation until you do.
3) If you still can't support your view through a variety of translations, go to original languages to find a way to translates the words to fit what you already believe.
4) If that doesn't work use numbers, symbols, and secret codes.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #50

Post by Inquirer »

Clownboat wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:58 pm
Inquirer wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:42 am I did not say the KJV was the "wrong one to use" pretty much every translation has value, those seriously interested in hermeneutics will have several translations at their disposal, personally I never rely on just one translation, its a recipe for error as you have learned with this "ghost" claim.
It is not logical that an all powerful God would create a book with a message for all, only to require pastors, priests and theologians to then interpret said book.
I'm sure the Holy Ghost agrees.
Appearances can be deceptive.