Are Religious Beliefs Delusional?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Diogenes
Guru

Are Religious Beliefs Delusional?

Post #1

Post by Diogenes »

In clinical practice, no clear guidelines exist to distinguish between "normal" religious beliefs and "pathological" religious delusions. Historically, psychiatrists such as Freud have suggested that all religious beliefs are delusional, while the current DSM-IV definition of delusion exempts religious doctrine from pathology altogether. ....
Religious beliefs and delusions alike can arise from neurologic lesions and anomalous experiences, suggesting that at least some religious beliefs can be pathological. Religious beliefs exist outside of the scientific domain; therefore they can be easily labeled delusional from a rational perspective.....
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15990520/
The question for debate is stated in the title, Are Religious Beliefs Delusional?
A subordinate question: Should we distinguish between a learned belief in supernatural phenomena and those who believe and attribute their beliefs to personal experience... and how could we tell?

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Re: Are Religious Beliefs Delusional?

Post #171

Post by Inquirer »

Clownboat wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:10 pm
Inquirer wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:47 pm Now, you cannot keep characterizing the Bible as "stories" it contains a great deal of history
Neato! Let's get specific now.

Are people living 900 years historical or stories in a book?
Are talking donkeys historical or stories in a book?
Are talking snakes/serpents historical or stories in a book?
Is a global flood historical or stories in a book?
Is living in a whale/fish for days historical or stories in a book?
Are dead bodies (for days) returning to life historical or stories in a book?

If these things are not historical and they are no more then just stories in a book, they would be delusional beliefs to hold IMO.
Even if every one of the examples you cite were mythical, my statement is still true: Now, you cannot keep characterizing the Bible as "stories" it contains a great deal of history.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #172

Post by Clownboat »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:56 pm But do you think anyone believes me when I say ants're an alien species put here to monitor the planet for their eventual takeover of our entire galaxy?
If it was in the Bible, then it would be believed by many.

I can hear a delusional person now: "Prove to me that ants are not alien species put here to monitor the planet for their eventual takeover of our entire galaxy!"
- or -
"Prove to me that humans have never lived to be over 900 years old!"

Is there a difference that I'm not seeing?

Back to the home as you said.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #173

Post by Inquirer »

"You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death."

Not if his prayer were answered next time he went fishing.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #174

Post by Clownboat »

Inquirer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:15 pm
Inquirer wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:47 pm Now, you cannot keep characterizing the Bible as "stories" it contains a great deal of history

If these things are not historical and they are no more then just stories in a book, they would be delusional beliefs to hold IMO.
Even if every one of the examples you cite were mythical, my statement is still true: Now, you cannot keep characterizing the Bible as "stories" it contains a great deal of history.
Who cares that the Bible might contain bits and pieces of history! I'm asking not about obscure stories from the book, but specifics claims and asking you if these specific claims are historical or just stories in a book. You will not provide answers for fear of being viewed as holding delusional beliefs. We all get that.

If these things are not historical and they are no more then just stories in a book, they would be delusional beliefs to hold.
It is noted that you did not try to defend these stories in a book as being historical. Again, I understand why.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Clownboat
Savant

Post #175

Post by Clownboat »

Inquirer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:20 pm "You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death."

Since prayer cannot be shown to be effective, it would be delusional to think that praying for fish will generate receiving fish.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #176

Post by Inquirer »

Clownboat wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:23 pm
Inquirer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:15 pm

Who cares that the Bible might contain bits and pieces of history! I'm asking not about obscure stories from the book, but specifics claims and asking you if these specific claims are historical or just stories in a book. You will not provide answers for fear of being viewed as holding delusional beliefs. We all get that.

If these things are not historical and they are no more then just stories in a book, they would be delusional beliefs to hold.
It is noted that you did not try to defend these stories in a book as being historical. Again, I understand why.
You are unable to reconcile some of what you read with your current perception of reality.

Resolving these and other cases involves doing just that, is there a way to reconcile? if you insist there is not then do as you are doing and reject the Bible as the ramblings of ancient superstitious fools.

As is often the case, the sceptic rarely applies the same degree of intellectual rigor that they demand from others.

The serpent in Eden need not be a material "snake", the King of Babylon is called a serpent in Jeremiah for example. It could represent a will, a will opposed to God's rule, who has a will opposed to God? people do. How Eve's thought processes were represented in a human language is part of the puzzle. Eve listened to a voice, she heard a voice, might that have been her own voice? her own will? Might Eve have been relying on her own reasoning? might that concept be the "serpent"? self reliance rather than obedience to a creator whom one has just met?

So these can be challenging, and you are free - we all are - to reject the Bible if we feel that rejection is justified, that's everyone's choice.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #177

Post by Inquirer »

Clownboat wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:25 pm
Inquirer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:20 pm "You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death."

Since prayer cannot be shown to be effective, it would be delusional to think that praying for fish will generate receiving fish.
So be it then, if that's your analysis then do as you see fit, nobody here is trying to force anything on you!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #178

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:43 pm ...
It could represent a will, a will opposed to God's rule, who has a will opposed to God? people do.
Funny thing about that - none can show anybody's will opposes a god they can't show exists to have a "rule" they can't show it has.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #179

Post by Inquirer »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:10 pm
It could represent a will, a will opposed to God's rule, who has a will opposed to God? people do.
Funny thing about that - none can show anybody's will opposes a god they can't show exists to have a "rule" they can't show it has.
You can prove what you claim here I assume?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #180

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:17 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:10 pm
You can prove what you claim here I assume?
When you're ready to answer the questions I put to you, I'll readily answer those you ask of me.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin