Is the Debate Between Science and Religion Unnecessary?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Diogenes
Guru

Is the Debate Between Science and Religion Unnecessary?

Post #1

Post by Diogenes »

My friend Gary Conkling writes about the potential conflict between science and relgion.
Question for debate: Is there necessarily conflict between science and relgion?
People with religious beliefs often view science as anti-religious, even as an attack on religion. The tension between scientific inquiry and religious zealotry is real. Scientists focus on questions while zealots settle for answers, sometimes based on dubious evidence or misconstrued history.

There is a path through the tension. Scientists don’t have to dismiss a greater force and zealots have to rely on faith rather than crypto-facts. We could someday figure out how the universe truly works, but still never know how it came to be. The desire – and for many the desperate need – to know there is something larger out there larger than life as we know it can yield an emotional calm and an enhanced ability to deal with very real and present distress.
Questions are not disbelief. Probabilities are safer to cling to than facts in assessing the universe. The scientific method and faith are not incompatible.
https://garyconklinglifenotes.wordpress ... UfIEseHtLQ

Is there a religion that seeks truth, rather than declaring it?

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Runner
Banned
Banned

Re: Is the Debate Between Science and Religion Unnecessary?

Post #31

Post by Runner »

Tcg wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:50 pmAnother swing and a miss. Science isn't a religion.
False.

Science is a belief system many put blind faith into.

You're really battin' a thousand.

Tcg
Savant

Post #32

Post by Tcg »

Runner wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:29 pm
Tcg wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:44 pm Nice try, but atheism isn't a religion.
Oh really?

Atheists don't choose to believe that God doesn't exist?
This atheist doesn't, but even if I did it wouldn't make atheism a religion.
Just as all other religions choose to believe the teachings of their doctrines?
Atheism has no doctrines.

Try again.
No need. I was right the first time.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Diogenes
Guru

Post #33

Post by Diogenes »

Oh really?

Just as all other religions choose to believe the teachings of their doctrines?
Perhaps you don't understand the definition of 'religion.' Here you go:
re·li·gion
/rəˈlij(ə)n/
noun: religion

the belief in and worship of a superhuman power or powers, especially a God or gods.
"ideas about the relationship between science and religion"

Are you claiming that atheists, those who don't believe in a God or gods, actually DO believe in gods or that they worship superhuman powers? :) The very definition of 'religion' excludes atheists.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #34

Post by Jose Fly »

So "Runner" is yet another creationist who comes into a forum, makes grand sweeping declarations about science, ignores questions, and cherry picks which posts he responds to.

It's amazing how consistent of a pattern that is.
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

brunumb
Savant

Post #35

Post by brunumb »

Oh really?

Of course not! My brain has considered all the information that it has received and concluded that in all likelihood there are no gods. I did not make a conscious choice to not believe in gods.

It is my position also that most theists do not choose to believe in their God either. They are inculcated with that belief through indoctrination from the day they are born. They largely end up in the religion of their parents and their society in general. The power of cognitive dissonance helps maintain that belief and shield them from anything that offers a challenge to their belief. Peer pressure, rites and rituals further help to maintain their faith.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

brunumb
Savant

Post #36

Post by brunumb »

Runner wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:31 pm
Tcg wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:48 pm This is a debate forum where posters are expected to support their claims. Simply claiming that Google says so doesn't accomplish that.
The point of argument has been addressed and dismissed.

You are likely of the sort that doesn't accept any form of proof whatsoever anyway.

I know that kind well and I don't waste much of my time with them as they never have any sincere intention of discussing/debating anything fairly and intelligently to begin with.
I see that as a back-handed way of saying that you can't support your argument so you will just run with an insult instead. Happens all the time with those that are all too ready to preach rather than support their position.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

Runner
Banned
Banned

Post #37

Post by Runner »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:37 pmPerhaps you don't understand the definition of 'religion.' Here you go:
re·li·gion
/rəˈlij(ə)n/
noun: religion

the belief in and worship of a superhuman power or powers, especially a God or gods.
"ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
Are you claiming that atheists, those who don't believe in a God or gods, actually DO believe in gods or that they worship superhuman powers? :) The very definition of 'religion' excludes atheists.
Perhaps you're a very insincere individual (shocker) since you literally selected the definition, from the multiple definitions, that best suited your purpose.

Here is literally the very next definition for religion in the Webster's Dictionary:
Religion 2. a) any specific system of belief, worship, conduct, etc. often involving a code of ethics and a philosophy.

@Tcg

Everyone has a god. Like it or not. Everyone ... has a god.

Just because you strive to convince yourself that the God of the Bible does not exist, doesn't mean you have not replaced Him with a substitute.

You have a god, maybe it is self, maybe it is science, or something else - drugs, alcohol, money, material things, status, etc.

You have a god, like it or not.

Runner
Banned
Banned

Post #38

Post by Runner »

brunumb wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:42 pmOf course not! My brain has considered all the information that it has received and concluded that in all likelihood there are no gods. I did not make a conscious choice to not believe in gods.
What you just described would be a conscious choice.
It is my position also that most theists do not choose to believe in their God either. They are inculcated with that belief through indoctrination from the day they are born. They largely end up in the religion of their parents and their society in general. The power of cognitive dissonance helps maintain that belief and shield them from anything that offers a challenge to their belief. Peer pressure, rites and rituals further help to maintain their faith.
You don't think Atheists experience the same conditioning to believe what they believe?

And if you claim that there are many who were confronted with the same conditioning as Christians, yet chose to believe otherwise, you are still proving your position incorrect and supporting my argument instead.

brunumb
Savant

Post #39

Post by brunumb »

Runner wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:54 pm Here is literally the very next definition for religion in the Webster's Dictionary:
Religion 2. a) any specific system of belief, worship, conduct, etc. often involving a code of ethics and a philosophy.
And that still does not apply to atheism. There is no system of belief, conduct, code of ethics or philosophy. It is simply the lack of belief in any gods. That's it. I can't understand this desperate need to reduce atheism to the status of religion.

Runner
Banned
Banned

Post #40

Post by Runner »

Jose Fly wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:39 pm So "Runner" is yet another creationist who comes into a forum, makes grand sweeping declarations about science, ignores questions, and cherry picks which posts he responds to.

It's amazing how consistent of a pattern that is.
You mean exactly like you do?

How's that foot taste?