Questions about the Earth

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

servant
Apprentice

Questions about the Earth

Post #1

Post by servant »

Did science or the bible first note that the earth hangs on nothing?

Did science or the bible first note that the earth was a circle and not flat?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #201

Post by Bust Nak »

Still small wrote: I’ve added nothing to the passage. All I’ve said is ‘it hangeth upon nothing’. No more, no less.
Incorrect, your post history shows otherwise. This is what you said: "Job’s description, describes an object suspended without support from either above or below."
Where does Job actually speak of or mention a disc sitting upon pillars? Or is this just what you’re implying?
No where, it is what I am implying. Job actually speak of or mention Earth that is consistent a disc sitting upon pillars though, no inference required.
He is speaking of physical pillars on the Earth yet being figurative of ‘pillars’ trembling as society is shaken by God’s judgement. (Remember it is written in poetic style)
You are just repeating your claim, I asked you why thought it is not talking about physical pillars? So what if it is written in poetic style?
Hermeneutics shows it to be poem and reading it as such shows the subject and purpose.
Showing it is a poem is one thing, it's subject and purpose is inferred.
Because the Ancient Hebrews did not think of the Earth as sitting atop of pillars.
Why this and not "he was talking about physical pillars and not pillars of society because Ancient Hebrews thought of the Earth as sitting atop of pillars?" You don't see the circular nature of your thesis?
Consistent only if you add in “a disk sitting on pillars� which none of the passages actually say.
Incorrect. It is consistent without me add in "a disk sitting on pillars." No eisegesis required.

Surely you can see that "it is not blue" is consistent with a green car without having to add in a "it is green," right?
Is it really better? That would be they same as, in your analogy, saying "the car is red, because it is not blue..."
You seemed to have missed the point of my analogy. None of the three people said "the car is red."
It may add superfluous details as to that which it is not but it is more and unnecessarily complicated than just saying “the car is red�.
That's the point, why did the Bible just say the car is red if the author actually knew the color of the car? Why did it go for the ambiguous "it's not blue" instead?
Unless you can show exactly where the authors actually and specifically refer to a disk sitting on pillars, I see no point in discussing this point further with you.
That's a rather unreasonable expectation. Why would I need to show that when I have not made such a claim? How about I show you again where the authors actually referred to the Earth in a manner that is consistent with a flat Earth model?

Revelations won
Sage

Post #202

Post by Revelations won »

I find it a bit amusing that so many are so hung up about what suspends the earth in its orbit.

Is it not a bit amazing how many interpretations exist upon a single verse from the OT?

How does anyone know if this verse was even recorded or translated correctly?

I do not think anyone can find additional scriptures explaining what was recorded.

We might do well to remember that in the mouth of 2 or 3 witness shall every word be established. Lacking such witnesses, I would not think it would be worth the time to speculate.....

RW

SkyChief
Apprentice

Post #203

Post by SkyChief »

servant wrote: So you think the earth is attached to something in space? Maybe a string or something :-k

I should have said round for the earth not circle, but does it matter really.

Your right the bible first talks about the earth being expanded in space and the earth not being flat.
In at least 2 verses, the New Testament tells us that the Earth IS flat:

Luke 4:5

And the devil, taking Him [Jesus] up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.

Matthew 4:8

Again, the devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory.

These verses could ONLY be possible on a flat Earth.