Would you still deny evolution if the bible said it's true

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

dangerdan
Apprentice

Would you still deny evolution if the bible said it's true

Post #1

Post by dangerdan »

An idea I’m interested in is whether a creationist’s rejection of evolution is based on objective evidence of fossils and science (assuming this exists) …or…is it more to do with the fact that the bible teaches something different to evolution?

Suppose there was a theoretical verse in the bible (that people had somehow glossed over) that seemed to say that evolution is true, and that Genesis is not to be taken literally. Now would the Christians on this board still hold that the earth is roughly 8000 years old and Adam and Eve were the first human beings, etc?…even though you would now disagree with the bible (due to this theoretical new verse)? Are your convictions in a young earth that strong that you’d even disagree with the bible?!

What I’m asking is if you’re belief in “creationism” is really based on the fact that the bible says so, and not so much on objective empirical evidence like fossils, etc.

Are you just trying to rationalize the bible? Honestly now.

Spongemom
Student

Post #11

Post by Spongemom »

Then explain why modern day "Christians" are still so concerned with what people do in their bedrooms, or in the doctor's office. Why are some sins cast aside as no longer sins, but some, from the same book, mind you, are still so strongly opposed? Who decides?
If we are going to teach creation science as an alternative to evolution,
then we should also teach the stork theory as an alternative to biological reproduction.

tcay584
Student

Post #12

Post by tcay584 »

Spongemom,
Modern christians don't "worry" about what you do in your bedroom or in a doctor's office out of some bizarre fetish for sin. We worry because of the consequences you will (whether you believe it or not) face in the hereafter. Moreover, I personally am worried that through my own inaction, I may actually be de facto supporting practices that I know are wrong (yes, my dear....because god said so). You know the saying "All that is required for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing". I'm curious as to what you base your morality on. How do you determine right from wrong? You seem extremely hostile towards christianity or any other way of thinking that assumes there is someone higher than we. If you are so secure in your ways, why are you soooooo angry and defensive? It seems difficult for you to be civil...wonder why.

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #13

Post by Amadeus »

Jesus himself spoke of against sexual immorality. People are concerned with what happens in their doctor's office (i'm assuming you mean abortion?) because, if you believe something to be truth, you cannot pretend that it is not true for everyone. Truth, by definition, is absolute.
Since you believe it is true for everyone, you feel it is an injustice even when they do it.

Jesus also decided that He was more important than the law.

Matt. 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Matt. 12:12
How much more valuable is a man than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath."

Acts 10:28
He said to them: "You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with a Gentile or visit him. But God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean.

Et cetera

Spongemom
Student

Post #14

Post by Spongemom »

tcay584 wrote:Spongemom,
Modern christians don't "worry" about what you do in your bedroom or in a doctor's office out of some bizarre fetish for sin. We worry because of the consequences you will (whether you believe it or not) face in the hereafter. Moreover, I personally am worried that through my own inaction, I may actually be de facto supporting practices that I know are wrong (yes, my dear....because god said so). You know the saying "All that is required for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing". I'm curious as to what you base your morality on. How do you determine right from wrong? You seem extremely hostile towards christianity or any other way of thinking that assumes there is someone higher than we. If you are so secure in your ways, why are you soooooo angry and defensive? It seems difficult for you to be civil...wonder why.
No, YOU worry about the consequences YOU believe everyone else will face. That is your OPINION. Because "God said so"? Just because you believe in something, does not make it right for everyone, and does not make it true. What places your god higher than anyone else's? What makes your religion the "right" one? Personally, I believe in "live and let live", meaning I don't feel I have the right to tell anyone else what they should or should not do in any aspect of their life. What makes you so much better than me that you feel you have that right?
then we should also teach the stork theory as an alternative to biological reproduction.

tcay584
Student

Post #15

Post by tcay584 »

Live and let live....my dear, your arguments in other forums deny this position.

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #16

Post by Amadeus »

The simple fact that we believe we know the TRUTH. The truth I am speaking of IS true for everyone. You cannot honestly believe in and practice a religion if you think that it is only true for you. If I believe there is a heaven and a hell for me, by nature I believe there is heaven and hell for you too.

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by BeHereNow »

Amadeus
My TRUTH is that you create your own hell. I don’t have to share it.
Sorry.

Faith is a very private thing. I do happen to believe that the ETERNAL that we each experience is unique.
You will never have the same understanding of the Logos that I do.
Your “faith” will never be the same as mine.
Your “union with God” will never be the same as mine.
All things are transient.
I wish only that that your Oneness satisfies your needs.

Spongemom
Student

Post #18

Post by Spongemom »

tcay584 wrote:Live and let live....my dear, your arguments in other forums deny this position.
Do they? Have I not this entire time been impressing the idea that what someone else does is no one's business but their own? How is that not "live and let live"?
Amadeus wrote:The simple fact that we believe we know the TRUTH. The truth I am speaking of IS true for everyone. You cannot honestly believe in and practice a religion if you think that it is only true for you. If I believe there is a heaven and a hell for me, by nature I believe there is heaven and hell for you too.
That's right. You believe you know the truth. So do many other religions. I ask again, what makes your religion "better"?

Yes, you can honestly believe in and practice a religion if you think that it is only true for you, if you are of the mind that everyone is entitled to his or her own beliefs. Which you apparently are not. Heaven and hell do not exist for everyone, regardless of what you personally believe.

tcay584
Student

Post #19

Post by tcay584 »

Spongemom,
I question your live and let live statement because you would kill another for your own convenience. This is why we have moved this topic to the other forum, correct?

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by ST88 »

Please stick to the topic, "Would you still deny evolution if the bible said it's true."
Alternate, civil discussions arising from the original question are encouraged, but only in the context of the original question. Please take topics that are clearly outside the scope of this discussion elsewhere.