What did carnivores eat after the flood?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

What did carnivores eat after the flood?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Quarkhead asked a good question. So I'm creating a new topic here to address it.

After all the animals stepped off Noah's ark, what did the carnivores eat? All the (land) animals perished in a world-wide flood. So the only animals that carnivores could eat were those that stepped off the boat. Wouldn't they have all eaten each other? And also what did the carnivores eat while they were in the ark?
Last edited by otseng on Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

otseng
Savant

Post #11

Post by otseng »

Corvus wrote:I actually don't see any difference between micro and macro-evolution.
OK, I started a thread to talk about macro vs micro.

perfessor
Scholar

Post #12

Post by perfessor »

My comment may seem like a different thread, but actually I am trying to respond to the hidden question behind "What did the carnivores eat?" That hidden question is something like "You don't really believe that, do you?" To the scientific community, the literal story of the flood contains so many absurdities that it can only seem to be an allegorical tale.

My question is: How did all the kangaroos get to Australia?

If all the animals stepped off the boat at the same time, one would reasonably expect to find a uniform distribution of life forms in similar ecological niches. That is, all jungles would contain similar jungle species; all deserts, all woodlands, etc. And isolated islands - like Australia - would have birds and plants but no koalas.

And yet - the American southwest has no kangaroos, camels, or native horses; Bison and elephants could share space in Africa but don't; there are no penguins in Greenland or Polar Bears in Antarctica. There are hundreds of other examples; too many for a time-shortened microevolutionary process to explain.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

otseng
Savant

Post #13

Post by otseng »

perfessor wrote:My comment may seem like a different thread, but actually I am trying to respond to the hidden question behind "What did the carnivores eat?" That hidden question is something like "You don't really believe that, do you?" To the scientific community, the literal story of the flood contains so many absurdities that it can only seem to be an allegorical tale.

My question is: How did all the kangaroos get to Australia?

I do think it should belong in a separate thread.

Also, I'd say probably hidden behind all the questions for debate here in this forum, regardless of the poster's belief system, is "you don't really believe that do you?"

Oolon Colluphid
Student

Post #14

Post by Oolon Colluphid »

Hi folks

I can't believe nobody's asked this yet (unless I missed it!):

What flood? Surely the flood ought to be demonstrated first, before we can wonder what was eating what? It makes the question somewhat academic otherwise.

Cheers, Oolon

otseng
Savant

Post #15

Post by otseng »

Oolon Colluphid wrote:Hi folks

I can't believe nobody's asked this yet (unless I missed it!):

What flood? Surely the flood ought to be demonstrated first, before we can wonder what was eating what? It makes the question somewhat academic otherwise.

Cheers, Oolon
It has been touched on in another thread. But a separate thread just on this topic should be created. So, please feel free to start it.

ST88
Site Supporter

Re: What did carnivores eat after the flood?

Post #16

Post by ST88 »

otseng wrote:Quarkhead asked a good question. So I'm creating a new topic here to address it.

After all the animals stepped off Noah's ark, what did the carnivores eat? All the (land) animals perished in a world-wide flood. So the only animals that carnivores could eat were those that stepped off the boat. Wouldn't they have all eaten each other? And also what did the carnivores eat while they were in the ark?
Gen 6:21 - "...take for yourself some of all food which is edible and gather it to yourself; and it shall be for food for you and for them."

The final "them" is the critical reference, as it appears to apply to all the animals in the ark (in my Bible anyway). So not only did Noah take all the animals, he took all their food also, whatever he understood that to be.

Also, I'm sure there was plenty of fish.

Oolon Colluphid
Student

Re: What did carnivores eat after the flood?

Post #17

ST88 wrote:Also, I'm sure there was plenty of fish.
Not necessarily, other than the putrescent, stinky kind.

Was the flood water fresh or saline? Either way, the oceanic ecosystems would have been shot to buggery (as we Brits would say) by so much additional water. To say nothing about coral reefs...

Cheers, Oolon

unknownuser
Student

Post #18

Post by unknownuser »

don't know if this is still going, but maybe the flood wasn't world wide.

remember after sodom & gommorah were destroyed, lot's daughters thought they were the last people on earth.

maybe all the people on the earth were concentrated in one area, but not the animals. so that a flood in one region coukd wipe out all men, but not all animals.

Oolon Colluphid
Student

Post #19

unkownuser wrote:don't know if this is still going, but maybe the flood wasn't world wide.
I wonder what Genesis was refering to when it says (7:4) "For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth... and (7:18 - 19) "And the waters prevailed, and were increased greatly upon the earth; and the ark went upon the face of the waters. And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered."
maybe all the people on the earth were concentrated in one area, but not the animals.
Please explain the submerging of the high hills. High hills in some bigger valley, perhaps?

so that a flood in one region coukd wipe out all men, but not all animals.
Or maybe it never happened? :roll:

unknownuser
Student

Post #20

Post by unknownuser »

it also says that god loved the world and gave his only begotten son, but the whole world is not going to be saved, right?