Are there any scientists that believe in Creationism/ID?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Are there any scientists that believe in Creationism/ID?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

This has been brought up if there are any credible scientists that believe in Creationism/Intelligent Design. Many consider Creationism/ID to have so little scientific basis that no credible scientist would subscribe to it.

So, the question to explore - are there any credible scientists that believe in Creationism/Intelligent Design?

Dilettante
Sage

Creationist Scientists

Post #11

Post by Dilettante »

First, I don't think the argument from authority is always a good way to prove or disprove something. Scientists are human and have weaknesses. Truth is truth no matter who supports / attacks it and whatever her credentials. Ideally, we would investigate everything by ourselves and become our own experts. However, in practice this is impossible. We all have jobs, families, responsibilities which prevent us from investing the (massive) amount of time and energy which would be necessary in order to do this well.
Second, if, however, we wish to appeal to someone's authority we must make sure he or she is the right kind of authority in the right field. Checking sciencedaily is no doubt useful to determine this. Also, it would be a good idea to check where these authorities got their degrees. Was it a legitimate university or a diploma mill? Another thing is, if we admit that Nobel laureates are the top tier in the scientific community, perhaps we should find out how many--if any--such scientists support creationism.
Finally, I totally agree that dissent from majority views does not equal correctness.

dangerdan
Apprentice

Post #12

Post by dangerdan »

Hope everyone had an extra merry Christmas! I had to come into work today so I thought I’d continue sifting through the list to see if I can find “a world leading biologist or paleontologist” (or related field). I’ll just use www.sciencedaily.com as my barometer due to time constraints.

Ken Cumming - nothing

Patricia Lynnea Gathman Nason - nothing

David Dewitt - Ok, there is like 3 David Dewitt’s. but I’m not sure any relate to this David Dewitt… there is this one about peppers -
Capsaicin is an extremely powerful and stable alkaloid produced as a crystal by glands at the junction of the pepper's placenta and pod walls, according to Dave DeWitt, known as the "Pope of Pepper" and publisher of Fiery Foods & BBQ magazine. The chemical is found only in chili peppers.
Is this the same guy?

And there is a David P. DeWitt who authored this text book on Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer, 5th Edition (that, incidentally, I think I have at home!). I don’t think this is the same guy though, or is it?

And then there is a David M. DeWitt, though he is a graduate at Massachusetts Institute Of Technology who worked with Assistant Professor Paula T. Hammond with depositing 3D stripes of material on thin gold wafers. I don’t think this is the guy, is it?

But then that’s all the David DeWitt’s that came up. Is any of the above the ICR David DeWitt? It’s not the publisher of “Fiery Foods & BBQ magazine” is it? ;)

Frank Sherwin - no Frank Sherwin is noted.

Todd C. Wood - no Todd C. Wood is noted.

Robert Franks - no Robert Franks is noted.

Robert H. Eckel - Ok, here’s a Robert H. Eckel who is an MD and he is the immediate past chair of the Association’s Nutrition Committee and Co-author of the advisory. He is a professor of medicine at the University of Colorado Health Science Center in Denver. Here is the article about how high protein diets have not proven effective and may pose health risks. I think this might be the same dude you are referring to! Jackpot!…except…of course his field is medicine…hmm…

Gary Parker - no Gary Parker is noted.

Bert Thompson - no Bert Thompson is noted.

David Menton - Ok, this guy showed up, but there are no papers or news, it’s just a link to his articles about how he feels that evolution can not produce the human eye.

Raymond V. Damadian - no Raymond V. Damadian is noted.

Joseph A. Mastropaolo - no Joseph A. Mastropaolo is noted.

Carl B. Fliermans - no Carl B. Fliermans is noted.

Ian G. Macreadie - no Ian G. Macreadie is noted.

Andre Eggen - no Andre Eggen is noted.

Lyubka P. Tantcheva - no Lyubka P. Tantcheva is noted.

Walter J. Veith - Ok, this guy showed up, but once again, no papers or news, just a link to his “Amazing Discoveries" Web Site.

John K.G. Kramer - no John K.G. Kramer is noted.

Benjamin L. Aaron - no Benjamin L. Aaron is noted.

Sharon K. Bullock - no Sharon K. Bullock is noted.

John R. Meyer - Hmmm, we may have a winner here folks, it’s coming up with a fair few results. There search engine is now taking ages to pull up the stories…hmm…sorry guys, I’ll post the results on another post (I think this one is long enough too!)