Thoughts on forum changes

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Thoughts on forum changes

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Here's a PM exchange I've had with Zzyzx that I want to share. I think many on the forum might also be interested...
otseng wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Have you received indication that members and moderators dislike the new format? I am trying to withhold judgment, but am leaning negative after a week of use. It is not a matter of resistance to change (which typically troubles me very little).
No, nobody has complained to me yet, but I can understand the sentiment. I've spent years customizing the former forum to what I wanted and now I have to start all over. I don't think anyone is more frustrated and disappointed than me that we're losing a lot of the former functionality.

The problem is the forum software and the OS is obsolete. It's been running on the same software for over 16 years, which in itself is pretty amazing. But, now I'm not able to run the latest software. I was using an older version of PHP and the latest version of PHP doesn't support the old forum.

There's pretty much no choice but to upgrade. By the end of the year, the old OS (CentOS 6) won't be supported anyways. Over the next several years, I'll be modifying the forum, but it will take patience as I do this. And just when I get it to how I would like it, I'll probably have to start all over again.

otseng
Savant

Re: Thoughts on forum changes

Post #81

Post by otseng »

Are you accessing from desktop/laptop or mobile?

brunumb
Savant

Post #82

Post by brunumb »

otseng wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:51 pm
brunumb wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:08 pm I'm not seeing any change otseng. :?
Can you do a Ctrl-Reload on the browser to reload the CSS file?
What is Ctrl-Reload otseng?
I am using a laptop.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #83

Post by AgnosticBoy »

brunumb wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:21 pm
otseng wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:51 pm
brunumb wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:08 pm I'm not seeing any change otseng. :?
Can you do a Ctrl-Reload on the browser to reload the CSS file?
What is Ctrl-Reload otseng?
I am using a laptop.
Hit ctrl and f5. You can also try deleting your internet cache and cookies.

I can see the changes on my computer. Looks good to me.

brunumb
Savant

Post #84

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to brunumb in post #82]

Thank you AgnosticBoy :approve: :ok: :D
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

brunumb
Savant

Post #85

Post by brunumb »

Hello otseng. Just pesky ol' me again :D

First, thanks for implementing the change I suggested. Hope it didn't involve a lot of work and I hope the response has been favourable.

May I now suggest a little more tweaking please O:)

After clicking the 'like' button, would it be possible to return to the bottom of the post where the button is rather than back to the top of the post like before?

Also, I have noticed that in some posts, the row of buttons at the bottom will overlap part of the last sentence. Not a big deal, but for optimum presentation would it be possible for you to introduce some sort of spacing above the buttons that would push them down a smidge and avoid that from happening?

Cheers, and thanks again. :handshake:

otseng
Savant

Post #86

Post by otseng »

brunumb wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:56 pm After clicking the 'like' button, would it be possible to return to the bottom of the post where the button is rather than back to the top of the post like before?
Not a simple change. I'll have to think about how to do that.
Also, I have noticed that in some posts, the row of buttons at the bottom will overlap part of the last sentence. Not a big deal, but for optimum presentation would it be possible for you to introduce some sort of spacing above the buttons that would push them down a smidge and avoid that from happening?
Added some space. Will need to reload the CSS file to see the change.

brunumb
Savant

Post #87

Post by brunumb »

otseng wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:32 am
brunumb wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:56 pm After clicking the 'like' button, would it be possible to return to the bottom of the post where the button is rather than back to the top of the post like before?
Not a simple change. I'll have to think about how to do that.
Please don't stress over it. It's not a biggy. Just me being a bit anal over minor things. You've done an amazing job as it is and we should all be extremely grateful. :ok: