Thoughts on forum changes

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Thoughts on forum changes

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Here's a PM exchange I've had with Zzyzx that I want to share. I think many on the forum might also be interested...
otseng wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: Have you received indication that members and moderators dislike the new format? I am trying to withhold judgment, but am leaning negative after a week of use. It is not a matter of resistance to change (which typically troubles me very little).
No, nobody has complained to me yet, but I can understand the sentiment. I've spent years customizing the former forum to what I wanted and now I have to start all over. I don't think anyone is more frustrated and disappointed than me that we're losing a lot of the former functionality.

The problem is the forum software and the OS is obsolete. It's been running on the same software for over 16 years, which in itself is pretty amazing. But, now I'm not able to run the latest software. I was using an older version of PHP and the latest version of PHP doesn't support the old forum.

There's pretty much no choice but to upgrade. By the end of the year, the old OS (CentOS 6) won't be supported anyways. Over the next several years, I'll be modifying the forum, but it will take patience as I do this. And just when I get it to how I would like it, I'll probably have to start all over again.

otseng
Savant

Re: Thoughts on forum changes

Post #81

Post by otseng »

Are you accessing from desktop/laptop or mobile?

brunumb
Prodigy

Re: Thoughts on forum changes

Post #82

Post by brunumb »

otseng wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:51 pm
brunumb wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:08 pm I'm not seeing any change otseng. :?
Can you do a Ctrl-Reload on the browser to reload the CSS file?
What is Ctrl-Reload otseng?
I am using a laptop.
Christianty: 2000 years of making it up as you go along.