One on one debates

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

mrmufin
Scholar

One on one debates

Post #1

Post by mrmufin »

Is it possible to design a forum for one on one debates? Suppose, for example, that Piper and I wanted to duke it out over whether Bruce Springsteen deserves the title of "The Boss" or "The Loss", and we'd prefer to do it publicly, but without intervention from others... How tough would it be to implement a forum for strict one on one debates? Does anyone else think this would be a cool feature?

Regards,
mrmufin

otseng
Savant

Re: One on one debates

Post #2

Post by otseng »

mrmufin wrote:Is it possible to design a forum for one on one debates?

It is entirely possible. I would create a subforum with special permissions so that only members of a certain usergroup can post. Only the participants of that usergroup would be able to post, but anyone can view it. Just like how I have The A Room and HHR subforums set up.

Suppose, for example, that Piper and I wanted to duke it out over whether Bruce Springsteen deserves the title of "The Boss" or "The Loss", and we'd prefer to do it publicly, but without intervention from others...

Though perhaps a religious oriented theme would be more appropriate. 8)

Anybody have any suggestions on topics to debate one-on-one? How will it get decided who gets to participate?

mrmufin
Scholar

Re: One on one debates

Post #3

Post by mrmufin »

otseng wrote:Anybody have any suggestions on topics to debate one-on-one? How will it get decided who gets to participate?
I think that the topics, format, and participants could be determined mutually. For example, in the Evidence For Your Beliefs thread, Icarus was getting bombed with questions from myself, Jose, and dangerdan. He was pressed for time, and proposed a format for a one on one exchange within the thread, to which I agreed. In a situation like that, having a topical thread dedicated to our exchange would have been a cool thing to have.

Regards,
mrmufin

ENIGMA
Sage

Post #4

Post by ENIGMA »

For an example of such a one-on-one debate format, I would recommend checking out the Internet Infidels discussion boards (www.iidb.org) Formal Debates. That seems like a decent place to start, anyway.

Yes, I lurk and occasionally post there, why do you ask? :whistle:
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld

Icarus
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Icarus »

.....walking by.... *cough* http://www.theologyforums.com/forums/ *cough* has some good templates to look at *clear throat* for one on one debates that "lock" other input out.

....oh hey guys.