Challenge Debates

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Challenge Debates

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

Currently, any registered member of the site can post any question for debate (within the rules of course). The question can very well be worded in such a way as to give him a decided advantage (leaning towards baiting). (I know, I've done it myself :oops:).

My suggestion is that we have a forum where topics can only be posted by moderators. A topic for debate will begin only after the following conditions have been met:
  1. someone has been identified as the proponent to the point to be debated
  2. someone has been identified and has agreed to be the opponent of the point to be debated
  3. the proponent and the opponent have agreed on the wording of the point to be debated (perhaps there should be a discussion forum for this purpose)
Then, just as in the other topics, anyone could participate in the debate.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: You guys are doing a great job

Post #31

Post by McCulloch »

Rob wrote:Seriously though, I wanted to communicate with a moderator and was denied that ability because I had not made five posts. Can you keep the five the post rule but still allow members to reply to moderators? ...
But I don't know which thread to answer you in? Any suggestions?
How about posting some stuff in the test forum to get yourself up to the 5 posts.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

otseng
Savant

Re: You guys are doing a great job

Post #32

Post by otseng »

McCulloch wrote:
Rob wrote:Seriously though, I wanted to communicate with a moderator and was denied that ability because I had not made five posts. Can you keep the five the post rule but still allow members to reply to moderators? ...
But I don't know which thread to answer you in? Any suggestions?
How about posting some stuff in the test forum to get yourself up to the 5 posts.
Actually, the limit was 15 posts, but I've now changed it to 5. Also, posting in the test forum will not increase post counts, so I don't think that loophole will work. But, since you already have 7 posts, you should be able to PM now.

Rob
Scholar

Thanks ...

Post #33

Post by Rob »

Guys, gotta run to a b-day party now. I will pm my questions later.

All the best.

Rob

Bugmaster
Site Supporter

Re: Challenge Debates

Post #34

Post by Bugmaster »

McCulloch wrote:My suggestion is that we have a forum where topics can only be posted by moderators...
I think this is a good idea; the moderators should also decide on the following:

* Word limit per post (this would keep people like me from filibustering)
* Maximum number of posts (to prevent infinite debate loops)
* (popssibly) Areas that both posters need to clarify in order for the debate to remain meaningful; i.e., "what exactly do you mean by 'rationalization homogenuity sphere' ?"