How to deal with trolls

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

USIncognito
Apprentice

How to deal with trolls

Post #1

Post by USIncognito »

I'm all for free speech on the Internet, but sometimes, in forums where there really is a concerted effort to try and have constructive debate rather than the message board version of a soccer hooligan riot, should some registrants be labeled trolls and be rid of? I hate seeing moderation being used as a sledgehammer to crush anyone who voices contrarian opinions or just doesn't "fit in"...

...but what about those who clearly have nothing to contribute other than inflamitory posts that serve no other purpose than to rile up people they know won't, or can't put them in ignore or perhaps even have some sort of mental disorder and actually believe their lunatic ravings, tangents and obfuscations?

Am I the only one who finds the degredation a committed (or committable) troll brings to a forum to ulimately destroy my enjoyment of participation in it?

QED
Prodigy

Post #2

Post by QED »

The question, as you mention, is how to determine if someone is trolling rather than just holding a contrarian view. I think one indicator is if the person concerned seems to be enjoying the experience. This is after all the motivation behind trolling, however it is also the motivation for nearly all debate that takes place. I personally think that we all know when someone is laughing on account of the merry dance that they're leading, in which case it would seem reasonable for moderators to decide on this basis. Anyone expressing an earnest and sincerely held view should have no worries about being accused of trolling according to this criteria.