Why is there an IP button?

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

perspective
Apprentice

Why is there an IP button?

Post #1

Post by perspective »

I'm curious. What is the need for an IP button to easily show the IP address of posters? I would contend that this can be somewhat of an enabler for evil-doers. Sure, if they really wanted to find out badly enough, they could find out your IP address, but why make it easier for them? Why does any benevolent curious cat need to see any poster's IP address? Maybe there is some purpose for it that the forum uses for some functionality, but if not, maybe we could do away with this button?

otseng
Savant

Re: Why is there an IP button?

Post #2

Post by otseng »

perspective wrote:I'm curious. What is the need for an IP button to easily show the IP address of posters? I would contend that this can be somewhat of an enabler for evil-doers. Sure, if they really wanted to find out badly enough, they could find out your IP address, but why make it easier for them? Why does any benevolent curious cat need to see any poster's IP address? Maybe there is some purpose for it that the forum uses for some functionality, but if not, maybe we could do away with this button?
Only moderators can see the "IP" button. If any non-moderators can see the "IP" button, this is a bug, so please report it here.