Can i call homosexuality a sin?

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Can i call homosexuality a sin?

Post #1

Post by OpenYourEyes »

Some have implied that I'm a homophobe or bigot just because I called homosexuality a 'sin'. If so that would make Christian beliefs held by billions of people a sin.

But then i found this from an admin. which is compatible with the rules.
otseng wrote:.
Let me say that attacking homosexuality is tolerated here. Any belief system is allowed to be attacked. This includes homosexuality, Christianity, atheism, etc.

Homosexuality is a particularly sensitive topic. It is probably the most contentious issue on the forum since the very founding of this place. Many people attempt to skirt the line of personally attacking another when debating this issue. But really the only time a moderator would step in is when the line is crossed of personally attacking another.
So i can attack homosexuality in a 'civil' manner w/out having to be labelled a bigot and w/out violating forum rules, right Zzyzx?

Wootah
Savant

Post #31

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 10 by Haven]

Why do they have to be a couple? Can't a person just get married to themselves and we keep out of their lives?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #32

Post by Wootah »

OpenYourEyes wrote: [Replying to post 10 by Haven]

You will not take away my First Amendment right, whether it be on this forum or offline. Do YOU understand that, sir?
Do you understand how ridiculous that sounds on the internet?

Also without being an American nor legally technical I think we have a right to association and the rules of association on this website are civility.

I am quite happy for others to buy their debating cake at other debating cake shops.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #33

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 28 by Danmark]

I don't think that is the argument nor do I think this I how I behave, 'This anti homosexual breast beating'.

I won't speak for anyone other than myself on this but I am not overtly focusing about homosexuals in my daily life - it's just the site is caught up in the zeitgeist I guess.

Sin means to miss the mark. Humans for a massively wide variety of reasons do not by ourselves warrant heaven. Homosexuality certain does seem to be missing the mark. I just don't see how anyone avoids the basic mechanics of it all and concludes homosexuality is not a sin.

Sinners can and do go to heaven. We all die in our sin but some have called out to Jesus to save them.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #34

Post by Danmark »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 10 by Haven]

Why do they have to be a couple? Can't a person just get married to themselves and we keep out of their lives?
Why is it so important for you to be involved in their lives. By definition a couple = two. Marriage is much more than about breeding. As the United States Supreme Court put it in Obergefell v. Hodges:

No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies
the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice,
and family. In forming a marital union, two people become
something greater than once they were. As some of
the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage
embodies a love that may endure even past death. It
would misunderstand these men and women to say they
disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do
respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its
fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned
to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s
oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the
eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right.

For these reasons I say it is a sin to deny people that right.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by Danmark »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 28 by Danmark]

I don't think that is the argument nor do I think this I how I behave, 'This anti homosexual breast beating'.

I won't speak for anyone other than myself on this but I am not overtly focusing about homosexuals in my daily life - it's just the site is caught up in the zeitgeist I guess.

Sin means to miss the mark. Humans for a massively wide variety of reasons do not by ourselves warrant heaven. Homosexuality certain does seem to be missing the mark. I just don't see how anyone avoids the basic mechanics of it all and concludes homosexuality is not a sin.

Sinners can and do go to heaven. We all die in our sin but some have called out to Jesus to save them.
First I am not referring to you, except when you refer to yourself with statements that show indeed that your argument is in fact a declaration of sin which seems very much like the approach of the Pharisees, that "man was made for the Sabbath;" that the law is more important than the people for whom the law was made.

You made this clear with your:
As I said, why is it that an increasingly smaller segment of Christianity insists on interfering with their lives. You can and should stay out of their lives in the first place.

otseng
Savant

Post #36

Post by otseng »

OpenYourEyes wrote: All sins, pedophilia, polygamy, incest are as equally sinful as homosexuality.
:warning: Moderator Warning

Yes, all sins are equally sinful. But, it's inflammatory to then just list criminal activities with homosexuality.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Post #37

Post by OpenYourEyes »

More confused than ever now. Keep in mind the purpose of this thread is for moderator clarification.

I thought it was settled that we can express Christian beliefs on the forum.

For instance, the Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 6:9 equated homosexual behavior with being a thief in that they are all wrong. Being a thief is also a crime but im not claiming that homosexuality is a crime. So again, am i or am i not allowed to express Christian beliefs?

otseng
Savant

Post #38

Post by otseng »

OpenYourEyes wrote: Keep in mind the purpose of this thread is for moderator clarification.
Yes, it's for clarification, but rules still applies, including commenting on a moderator action.

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Post #39

Post by OpenYourEyes »

I'm still confused because i see a conflict. I will try to stick to scientific topics and on my threads i will request that no religious points, for or against, be used.

I have no need for religion on the site if i have to walk on a political tightrope.

WinePusher
Scholar

Post #40

Post by WinePusher »

OpenYourEyes wrote:I thought it was settled that we can express Christian beliefs on the forum.

For instance, the Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 6:9 equated homosexual behavior with being a thief in that they are all wrong. Being a thief is also a crime but im not claiming that homosexuality is a crime. So again, am i or am i not allowed to express Christian beliefs?
But can't you understand that gay people would find it offensive to be thrown into the same category as criminals who commit rape and incest? Homosexuality is simply not comparable with rape and incest in anyway whatsoever. Also, I don't think there's any problem with expressing disapproval of homosexuality and arguing against things like gay marriage or gay adoption. People here do it all the time.
OpenYourEyes wrote:I have no need for religion on the site if i have to walk on a political tightrope.
Imagine if an Islamic extremist came on this site and began saying things to women users like 'you need to be stoned' or 'you're the same as a rapist.' Now granted, I understand that you are not saying such things to gay people but what you're insinuating with comments like "all sins, pedophilia, polygamy, incest are as equally sinful as homosexuality" is really no different. Like I said, I think expressing disapproval of homosexuality is fine, but drawing comparisons between gay people and incest and pedophilia is offensive to some people, particularly gay people.