More Administrators?

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Beyonder
Student

More Administrators?

Post #1

Post by Beyonder »

I only see 2 Administrators here can we have a poll to have people selected? Because the site security/moderation is important.

Neatras
Guru

Post #2

Post by Neatras »

Is there a pressing need? Should the necessity of extra admins come about, it's easy to say that it would be justified to add on to the existing number.

As direct as this may sound, could you present a case for why we may need more administrators in the present time? I'm not aware of any immediate dangers.

otseng
Savant

Re: More Administrators?

Post #3

Post by otseng »

[Replying to post 1 by Beyonder]

Yes, moderation is important. That is why we currently have 8 people on the moderating team.

The job of the admins is more technical. Admins are able to access the backend system and do stuff like create new subforums, change descriptions, etc.

Korah
Under Suspension

Post #4

Post by Korah »

[Replying to post 3 by otseng]
Well, a high-class debating society like ours here must attract a lot of nerds with high technical savvy. Sure, our two admins can and do handle all the technical stuff here with expertise.
What worries me is all these computer breakdowns due to nefarious hackers all around the world. I would think you might want to put out a call here for a member who might already have the computer security skills to analyze our system for any flaws and how to protect us in the future.
Reminds me of a vignette, and the upshot from it will clue you in to why I don't propose myself as the one who knows anywhere near as much about computers as he aspired to attain.

It was Nov. 1962 at University of California, Berkeley, where I was pursuing my post-Sputnik (1957) choice of science as a career. Yeah, that's a really tough spot to be a Physics Major, and so many post-Sputniks had now chosen physics as a major that no jobs were available with less than a Master's degree (of which I wound up with two, but neither in any science at all), and I was too introverted a nerd back THEN to consider teaching as a career with just a B. S., so I went in and told my counselor, "Mrs. Lucero, I want to just abandon my education as a junior here, quit school and become a computer programmer." All the conventional wisdom of that by-gone era (when only big schools and Fortune 500 businesses could afford computers that were the size of rooms) led her to tell me, "Dale, please don't do that! There is no future in computers!."

Oh course if you take up my suggestion about trying to find a techie in computer security, be sure your background checks include whether (almost said "he" because I'm so aware most computer nerds are male, but I myself have a niece who is a computer programmer and a daughter who is an engineer for the Calif. Dept of Water Resources--right in the middle of the action about our worst-ever Drought here!) that person is by any stretch of the ilmagination some extremist like Taliban, KKK, Irgun, or Bahai (just kidding, but they did originate in the 1840's as a sect in Iran regarded as so dangerous that 20,000 of them were killed, according to my New Websters').
Last edited by Korah on Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

[Replying to Korah]

I'm no computer security expert, but this site does have many things in place to deter hackers. This forum is under attack constantly (many times per hour). So far, the defenses have held up.

Beyonder
Student

Post #6

Post by Beyonder »

otseng wrote: [Replying to Korah]

I'm no computer security expert, but this site does have many things in place to deter hackers. This forum is under attack constantly (many times per hour). So far, the defenses have held up.
My ultimate fear....im just stating a opinion Mr.Otseng because security is 100% needed on a popular forum like this.

otseng
Savant

Post #7

Post by otseng »

Beyonder wrote: My ultimate fear....im just stating a opinion Mr.Otseng because security is 100% needed on a popular forum like this.
Believe me, security is of high concern here. I know of other forums that were shut down because of hackers/spammers. I don't want that to happen here. But, there is no system that is completely hackproof. But, I hope that the holes that are here are so small that the chance of a compromise is very small.

Beyonder
Student

Post #8

Post by Beyonder »

otseng wrote:
Beyonder wrote: My ultimate fear....im just stating a opinion Mr.Otseng because security is 100% needed on a popular forum like this.
Believe me, security is of high concern here. I know of other forums that were shut down because of hackers/spammers. I don't want that to happen here. But, there is no system that is completely hackproof. But, I hope that the holes that are here are so small that the chance of a compromise is very small.
Free hosting is the best I know of and true lower the better at times and ill Pm about a troublesome person as well.