Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Deleted Text

Post #1

Post by Blastcat »

This has happened to me more than enough times. I write a very long reply to someone, I post it.. and I'm logged out, lost the whole thing.

I there ANY recovery available?

I've lost about12 hours on this problem.. I tell myself to always copy the text... but I forget.. trusting that I won't be logged out.. this JUST happened to me for the THIRD time on the SAME post.. I'm getting to be quite the expert on that reply.

Lion IRC
Apprentice

Post #11

Post by Lion IRC »

[Replying to post 10 by Ancient of Years]

Yes but it seems Blastcat can't make use of the forum software's draft function to save posts which works fine for me both on IPad/Safari and Windows/IE.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by Blastcat »

Lion IRC wrote:
Blastcat wrote:
Lion IRC wrote: Have you ever used the 'save as draft' function?
Works for me. Quick and easy.
I just finished a great post.. at least in my opinion.. lost it.

I used the saved as draft option as you mentioned.
It sent me right to the sign in page.

I signed in

It didn't save to draft.
So, that idea.. is only good BEFORE I get secretly logged off for some unknown reason.

So when you press "save as draft" not only does it fail to save the draft but it also logs you out, rather than taking you back to the front page menu????

Yes.. it seems that for some reason.. I'm being logged out.. and even if I press save draft.. it doesn't do that.. So that 's not going to work.

My drafts save OK and they are right there at the top of the "View your drafts and posts" menu.
Drafts appear in a separate section just above completed posts.

Yes.. when I'm NOT logged out.. the draft works fine. But I don't know precisely when I'm going to be logged out.. so.. saving to draft.. fails.

Having said all this.. I tried tams idea and just use the back function of my browser.. and I did manage so save the last one.. the one I tried the draft function unsuccessfully.

So, tam, if you're reading this.. THANKS

In any case.. I have wised up.. Now.. before I post I select all text.. and COPY.. that way, if it's all gone.. I can just paste the text back. Sometimes.. I just don't think of the obvious.

I tried to use a word processor .. but that didn't work out for me. So, I think I've resolved my problem. I remember now to select the text, copy it before submitting. End of problem.. I can try to go back... but I don't have to worry.. as long as I copy all text.

As for having a problem with being logged out too often.. Yeah.. I should do that.. thanks for the suggestion. I should stay logged on .. right? Not HAVE unexpected log offs?

Ancient of Years
Guru

Post #13

Post by Ancient of Years »

[Replying to post 12 by Blastcat]

It still sounds to me like you are being logged off for exceeding the inactivity period. (Anyone know how long that is?) Typing does not count as activity since the site does not know anything until you submit or other action.

I was able to reproduce the problem by typing something and going shopping, then coming back and doing either Submit or Save as Draft. I get a login screen. After logging in I have a blank text box. However doing Back twice got me the text back. The first Back gets to the login screen, the second to the non-empty text box.

Using a word processor if feasible, or doing Ctrl-A, Ctrl-V (Select All, Copy) before Submit, Preview or Save to Draft is a good idea, but should anyone think they have 'lost it all' by getting unexpectedly logged off, there is a recovery.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Blastcat »

Ancient of Years wrote: [Replying to post 12 by Blastcat]

It still sounds to me like you are being logged off for exceeding the inactivity period. (Anyone know how long that is?) Typing does not count as activity since the site does not know anything until you submit or other action.

I was able to reproduce the problem by typing something and going shopping, then coming back and doing either Submit or Save as Draft. I get a login screen. After logging in I have a blank text box. However doing Back twice got me the text back. The first Back gets to the login screen, the second to the non-empty text box.

Using a word processor if feasible, or doing Ctrl-A, Ctrl-V (Select All, Copy) before Submit, Preview or Save to Draft is a good idea, but should anyone think they have 'lost it all' by getting unexpectedly logged off, there is a recovery.
I think that super-duper sums it up. I'm now using the select all.. copy paste option.... somehow the word processor option isn't good for me. I get messed up.

I've since tried backing up.. and to my utter amazement.. that works !

So, I have redundancy, and I can resume being as annoying as possible to as many people at a time.

No mo rerites fo me

Thanks again to all...

tam
Savant

Post #15

Post by tam »

So, tam, if you're reading this.. THANKS
Lol, you're welcome, belatedly.

I post on another phpbb forum, and when we started out, a lot of people were having the same problem as you here. So it was familiar : )

Peace to you!

puddleglum
Sage

Post #16

Post by puddleglum »

Ancient of Years wrote: The 'secret log off' may simply be getting timed out for inactivity.
If this is the case it can be avoided by previewing your post frequently while you are writing it.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV