Tracking Replies and Quotes to Me.

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

Tracking Replies and Quotes to Me.

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

I'd like to track all other people's replies and quotes of me. The closest I could find to this was to go into profile, click on the Public tab, then click on the Last Topics tab within that. Then I see the last 3 topics started by me, the last 3 that I replied to, and the last 3 that I ended.

I find this unsatisfactory and wonder if I am missing something. I'd like a complete history of everyone else's replies and quotes to me in all topics I've engaged in. This is the only way for me to truly track my conversations and what people have replied to me.

Something similar is in place for something far less important and it bothers me. You can click a "likes" link on you avatar to find the complete history of likes you received set up in a list of their respective thread posts. If you click on a link in that list, you get directed to your exact post you made that was liked.

Why can't we have a similar feature for when people reply or quote us. It would show a list of our history of people's replies and quote links. And then clicking on one of those links would bring you to the exact post where the person replied or quoted you.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: Tracking Replies and Quotes to Me.

Post #2

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 1 by jgh7]

It seems as though that would require quite a bit of code expertise, time, and dedication. Any suggestions for sources?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

jgh7

Post #3

Post by jgh7 »

[Replying to Zzyzx]

Sorry no. I figured you guys already had a coder who does that stuff, since you've already done it with "likes" tracking. Use whoever the person is who programmed your feature to track the history of likes you've received, and just have them do the same for replies and quotes you've received.

I know I make it sound like it's no big deal. But I understand it is a significant undertaking. Good luck to you all if you decide to pursue it.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 3 by jgh7]

Jgh, Otseng does all or almost all of the coding -- and he has a lot of other responsibilities (large family, musical presentations, professional career, etc -- in addition to overseeing the day-to-day conduct of the site).

Some things that may seem simple or easy to you or me may require many hours of detailed work. A number of things occur to me that would seem to be advances, but only very seldom do I suggest any structural changes -- for that reason. If there was a large paid (or even volunteer) staff of computer professionals operating the site that would be a different matter.

Of course, our suggestions can be added to the "maybe someday" or "when there is time" piles (and are appreciated).

Maybe Otseng will add a comment or clarification.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

Yes, that about sums it up. Only clarification is that I'm the only developer working on the forum.

I can add it to the wishlist. But, highly doubtful that I'll have the free time to get to it. But, who knows? I might sometime.

jgh7

Post #6

Post by jgh7 »

I completely understand. This site seems to be entirely volunteer run if I'm not mistaken. I don't see ads on it anywhere so I imagine no money is made and it's a completely pro-bono gift to us all.

I'm actually a computer science masters. This coding topic is not my area of expertise. But I know that what I've suggested is a huge change. I do have an idea about what it would entail and it's definitely a huge project. I would not be angered or offended at all if it's simply not feasible. I only posted it as a suggestion for the heck of it since I was interested in it.

Thank you all for making this site what it is. It's an extremely well run site.

otseng
Savant

Post #7

Post by otseng »

jgh7 wrote: don't see ads on it anywhere so I imagine no money is made and it's a completely pro-bono gift to us all.
Yes, it's pro-bono to all. But donations are appreciated. :)
I only posted it as a suggestion for the heck of it since I was interested in it.
Sure, no problems on suggesting it.
Thank you all for making this site what it is. It's an extremely well run site.
Thanks.