Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

JP Cusick
Guru

Moved Topic without Debate:

Post #1

Post by JP Cusick »

:arrow: I got this notice below in an email:

And I am happy that this came to me in my emails as otherwise I would not have any clue.
Hello JP Cusick

OnceConvinced reported a post from JP Cusick on Debating Christianity and Religion.

Reason:
Topic in wrong subforum - Why would this be in the "Sacred Scripture" subforum??

http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 563#866563
One person reports a post asking why is it in this group?

So why not seek an answer to their question? instead of just moving the topic?

Why not ask me why it is there?

That subforum can include Atheism as a topic (or at least I do not see why not) and does this mean that Atheism is now off topic? as I hope not.

The topic was moved to "Random Ramblings" and I do not see why it would be regarded that way? are the beliefs of Atheism regarded as Random Ramblings?

The one person reported the topic asking a question - so why is the topic moved instead of seeking to answer their question?

That topic comment was done respectfully to Atheism and it was not done insulting or offensive, and the beliefs of Atheism would indeed be a type of scripture for that subforum.

Plus one person responded to this topic in the "SS" subforum so it had activity which is the point and purpose of starting a discussion.

The idea was to post content that would be inviting for other people to join the group / the subforum and now I am confused as how to continue.

The answer to the person's question = is that the reason that topic was there is to include the beliefs of Atheism as an important topic.

Does this mean I can not create a topic on the Truths of the Buddha too? or the doctrine of Gandhi? or Agnosticism? or of Heathen? Witches? Satanic scriptures?

Moving that topic does harm to the subforum and so please explain why it is justified?

We had just changed that subforum to start being about any scripture and not just the Bible, see HERE.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

The main reason it was moved was that there was no question for debate.

Please see Tips on starting a debate topic.

JP Cusick
Guru

Reply:

Post #3

Post by JP Cusick »

[Replying to post 2 by otseng]
Remember how we decided that it could be open for a discussion and not just debates?

Link viewtopic.php?p=865706#865706

So maybe we still could consider deleting that "Announcement" as it might be getting a topic reported when it is not a debate?

Otherwise every topic in that subforum including those of "Talishi" are not debate as none of them have a direct question.

The one (1) topic which got moved is the only one which attracted another person to join the group - and that one person is not the one who reported the post - so surely that is not fair.

The person who reported has not joined the subforum group - and they only asked why that topic was there?

Can we not move it back and call it a discussion topic? which is permitted.
SIGNATURE:

otseng
Savant

Re: Reply:

Post #4

Post by otseng »

[Replying to JP Cusick]

Ah, I did not realize it was first posted in Sacred Scripture. But, reviewing your post, what does it have to do with Sacred Scripture?

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #5

Post by JP Cusick »

otseng wrote: Ah, I did not realize it was first posted in Sacred Scripture. But, reviewing your post, what does it have to do with Sacred Scripture?
Because a lot of people are Atheist, and that topic starts with a simplistic list of the beliefs (or disbelief's) of Atheism and that is as close to being scripture as I could get.

I do realize that many Atheist would argue that it is not scripture and they do not have any scripture, and on top of that there is nothing sacred in Atheism, and I say the first response comment covered that.

Maybe Atheist are more sensitive then then I ever knew?

So if I start a new topic there about Atheism and then if I add a question, as like = Is this list an accurate representation of Atheism? - so would that suffice?

Or is it going to be a forbidden subject in that subforum?

I truly would not want any Atheist to feel that they were unwelcome or uninvited into that subforum.
SIGNATURE:

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

JP Cusick wrote: So if I start a new topic there about Atheism and then if I add a question, as like = Is this list an accurate representation of Atheism? - so would that suffice?
I'd suggest starting a thread in a debate subforum (Philosophy? C&A?) and have a clear question for debate.
Is this list an accurate representation of Atheism? - so would that suffice?
Yes, that would work.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: Moved Topic without Debate:

Post #7

Post by OnceConvinced »

JP Cusick wrote: Why is the action so arbitrary and capricious?
There is nothing arbitrary and capricious about it. As moderators we are expected to insure that topics are posted in the correct subforum. It would help if some members made more of an effort to post things in the relevant subforums.
JP Cusick wrote:
One person reports a post asking why is it in this group?
I reported it with this question because I wanted a second opinion from another moderator. I did not want to just go ahead and move it by mistake. The main problem is I was wondering what the "Sacred Scripture" subforum is for and what it offers that the TD&D and Bible Studies subforums don't already offer.
JP Cusick wrote: So why not seek an answer to their question?
For one thing, I would either have to join an additional user group I see no good reason to join. Or I would have to PM to ask the question. Better to just let the moderator team deal with it as they are the experts on where topics like this should go. A lot faster. It's unlikely you would have the privileges to move the topic anyway.

Secondly, when it comes to things like this, it is better not to ask questions in the thread itself as it side tracks the topic. The report option is there for that very reason.

JP Cusick wrote: Why not ask me why it is there?
Are you an authority on what topics should be in what subforum?

JP Cusick wrote: That subforum can include Atheism as a topic (or at least I do not see why not) and does this mean that Atheism is now off topic? as I hope not.
There are more appropriate subforums to discuss atheism. The term
"sacred scripture" has no relevance to Atheism at all.

Why not put it in a subforum where we can all discuss it without having to join a special user group?
JP Cusick wrote: The topic was moved to "Random Ramblings" and I do not see why it would be regarded that way? are the beliefs of Atheism regarded as Random Ramblings?
I would not have put it there myself, I would have put it under "Apologetics and Christianity" or maybe under general chat. "Sacred Scripture" is definitely not the right place for it though.
JP Cusick wrote: The one person reported the topic asking a question - so why is the topic moved instead of seeking to answer their question?
I wanted a second opinion from another moderator. That moderator also clearly thought it was in the wrong subforum.
JP Cusick wrote: That topic comment was done respectfully to Atheism and it was not done insulting or offensive, and the beliefs of Atheism would indeed be a type of scripture for that subforum.
If you want atheists to reply why would you think that putting it in a subforum that requires a "Sacred scripture" usergroup would be the way to go? Would it not make more sense to put it in a subforum where atheists tend to post?
JP Cusick wrote: The idea was to post content that would be inviting for other people to join the group / the subforum and now I am confused as how to continue.
Shouldn't topics in the sacred scripture subforum have actually something to do with sacred scripture?

The problem with this subforum is it requires special membership. It almost seemed to me like you were attempting to manipulate people to join your special usergroup.

JP Cusick wrote: The answer to the person's question = is that the reason that topic was there is to include the beliefs of Atheism as an important topic.
What does atheists beliefs have to do with sacred scripture?

There are other subforums where atheism can be discussed. Why in the sacred scripture subforum?
JP Cusick wrote: Does this mean I can not create a topic on the Truths of the Buddha too? or the doctrine of Gandhi? or Agnosticism? or of Heathen? Witches? Satanic scriptures?
Place them in the appropriate subforum. That's why we have so many.
JP Cusick wrote: Moving that topic does harm to the subforum and so please explain why it is justified?
What is the actual purpose of a "sacred scripture" subforum anyway?

JP Cusick wrote: Maybe Atheist are more sensitive then then I ever knew?
Maybe atheists have no desire to have a user group called "Sacred scripture" under their name when they don't deem any scripture to be sacred?

Maybe some are not going to be manipulated to join that usergroup?

Perhaps they do not wish to have JP Cusick making the rules for them, especially considering he is not an official moderator.

To actually try to get atheists to put together some kind of sacred scripture or atheist credo or atheist world view, is actually something that we atheists are sick and tired of theists trying to do. Surely having been here 6 years you would know how often we atheists insist we do not have scripture of any kind. The only thing we have in common is that we don't believe in gods.
JP Cusick wrote: So if I start a new topic there about Atheism and then if I add a question, as like = Is this list an accurate representation of Atheism? - so would that suffice?

Or is it going to be a forbidden subject in that subforum?

I truly would not want any Atheist to feel that they were unwelcome or uninvited into that subforum.
There are plenty of other more appropriate subforums that you could post such a topic under that do not require special usergroups. Why not post it in there?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

JP Cusick
Guru

Re: Moved Topic without Debate:

Post #8

Post by JP Cusick »

OnceConvinced wrote: There are more appropriate subforums to discuss atheism. The term
"sacred scripture" has no relevance to Atheism at all.

Why not put it in a subforum where we can all discuss it without having to join a special user group?
I understand this now, and I really do appreciate the responses to my questions here.

I was already satisfied with what "otseng" has said here, and both of you have been very considerate to me as Moderators.

Clearly a topic of Atheism does not belong in that subforum and I happily submit to that, and I was way over reaching.

I have participated in many other online forums for many years as I remember the old days of forums where some would not accept a free email address to register, and forums use to give us our passwords instead of choosing our own, and making a hyperlink instead of posting the URL was not available at first, so I say from my experience that I find this forum to be very friendly and well run, and the Mods here are cool with giving warnings instead of control freaks, and so I am comfortable to comply and to help keeping this forum as a better website.

:D