Ignoring Someone

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

Ignoring Someone

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

What does it mean to ignore someone, and how do I do it?

benchwarmer
Guru

Re: Ignoring Someone

Post #2

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to post 1 by liamconnor]

It means you will no longer see that person's posts. They will still see yours and can continue to reply to you, you just won't see it.

To ignore someone look at the bottom of the post in question and click the ignore button. It's under the "Like this post" link. Note that you will show up in that person's profile in the 'Ignored by' list.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #3

Post by OnceConvinced »

Ignoring someone means that you give up on debating them and acknowledge them the victor.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 1 by liamconnor]

I have chosen to ignore a member (or members). However, when he or she creates an OP, the first page hides the OP....great. But if I move to another page within the same OP, I see his or her original OP. Not someone quoting it, but the original duplicated.

For my own sanity, I really want as few opportunities to read the comments of some people here. How does this work?

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

[Replying to liamconnor]

You found a loophole. I think I should modify it so that if you ignore someone, the entire thread that the user created is ignored. What do you all think?

Neatras
Guru

Post #6

Post by Neatras »

[Replying to post 5 by otseng]

That's probably for the best. Part of a debate is actually seeing the arguments presented and then discussing the points therein. If you're going to eliminate the origin of the thread, and assuming the OP is actually consistent and participates in the thread, then that means the person ignoring will miss a ton of context. This breeds miscommunication, restating ideas that have already been addressed, and generally causing a mess. Discourse suffers when this happens.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #7

Post by JP Cusick »

otseng wrote: You found a loophole. I think I should modify it so that if you ignore someone, the entire thread that the user created is ignored. What do you all think?
I say "ignoring" the OP is enough.

The entire system of "ignore" is empowering and enabling a person in their own dysfunction, so to increase the enabling is not a healthy thing to do.

Each thread has the name of the OP and so if some one does not want to see that person then use some self restraint and do not click that thread.

They want to go into a thread without seeing the OP then that is absurd, and are they going to make comments which the OP can not respond?

And to "ignore" is very close to prejudice and intolerance which is not to be enabled nor empowered, especially not on a religion forum.

Using the "ignore" is trying to outcast another person, and then call it as self protection.

Surely we all have some person(s) on here that we do not like - so let them learn to deal with it their self is my suggestion.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian: