Newbie is confused

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

By Grace
Apprentice

Newbie is confused

Post #1

Post by By Grace »

I went to lurk at the forum for Christians, and I saw that a poster had a user name "Jehovah Witness" and since the avatar was jw.org, I assumed that this guy is indeed a JW.

Since the forum is for Christians only, and since the JWs are considered a cult by many Evangelicals, I ask how do you guys and gals define "Christian"?

then I went to view something called "Holiness Haven" (or something similar) and was blocked. What is the criteria for entering that forum? I did not see any rules about that.

tam
Savant

Re: Newbie is confused

Post #2

Post by tam »

Peace to you Grace,
By Grace wrote: I went to lurk at the forum for Christians, and I saw that a poster had a user name "Jehovah Witness" and since the avatar was jw.org, I assumed that this guy is indeed a JW.

Since the forum is for Christians only, and since the JWs are considered a cult by many Evangelicals, I ask how do you guys and gals define "Christian"?

then I went to view something called "Holiness Haven" (or something similar) and was blocked. What is the criteria for entering that forum? I did not see any rules about that.

The holy huddle room is the room you mean, and I believe you just have to agree that you are Christian. If you want to join, click on this link and then click on the word 'here':

viewtopic.php?t=438

Unless I have misunderstood the rules, this forum does not tell people they are not Christian. So regardless of what some people think (evangelicals may not think jws are Christian; jws may not think evangelicals are christian), if a person claims to be Christian here, then that is enough to join the room.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

By Grace
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by By Grace »

thanks, Tam
The holy huddle room is the room you mean, and I believe you just have to agree that you are Christian. If you want to join, click on this link and then click on the word 'here':

viewtopic.php?t=438

Unless I have misunderstood the rules, this forum does not tell people they are not Christian. So regardless of what some people think (evangelicals may not think jws are Christian; jws may not think evangelicals are christian), if a person claims to be Christian here, then that is enough to join the room.
Tried that just now. maybe I need more posts.

What is so astoundingly different here is the fact that only a self-pronouncement is required to join a group. That is much different from other places, but it seems to be that this is not an apologetic forum, even there seems to be places for it.

Accordingly then, Mormons can do that, and say that they are "Christians" too. is that correct? Are there any rules about posters not identifying who they are?

BTW thanks for the correction on "holy huddle room "

tam
Savant

Post #4

Post by tam »

By Grace wrote: thanks, Tam

viewtopic.php?t=438

Maybe, I don't remember. I had been here for a while before I tried joining that room. You may have to wait for a mod to clarify.
What is so astoundingly different here is the fact that only a self-pronouncement is required to join a group. That is much different from other places, but it seems to be that this is not an apologetic forum, even there seems to be places for it.
Well, what would be the alternative? Who would get to decide?

And yes, this is a different kind of forum; not just an apologetic forum.

Accordingly then, Mormons can do that, and say that they are "Christians" too. is that correct? Are there any rules about posters not identifying who they are?
Yes to the first question. To the second question, as far as I know, no one is required to identify with anything. (that would keep a person out of certain sub-forums though, like the holy huddle room).

Subjects are supposed to be debated, but not members and their status. I am not a mod though, so you might want to take a second look at the rules or wait for a mod to clarify.
BTW thanks for the correction on "holy huddle room "

You're welcome.

Peace again to you.

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

By Grace wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=438

It doesn't matter how many posts you have to join it. If you still have problems, I can manually add you.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #6

Post by OnceConvinced »

Hi By Grace and welcome to the forums. If you are going to brand one particular group of Christ believers as not true Christians then you are opening up a can of worms. It then has to be determined who are the true Christians and who aren't, which is pretty much impossible.

Who makes that judgement call?

JWs genuinely believe themselves to be Christians and they are normally seen as Christians by non-Christians. It's normally only fellow Christians who claim they are not. But I'm sure you will agree that there are many Christians out there who even go to mainstream churches who aren't true Christians. Should we stop them from entering the Holy Huddle subforum too? :) You'd probably only find a handful of people people being allowed access to that subforum. :lol: If you were to get rid of every Christian who was ever accused of being a false one, you'd have none.

I think you will find that there are Christians on this site who are not part of the JWs that would also be branded as being part of cults or who are considered heretics. That is the beauty of this particular website. Everybody can debate here if they want to. You won't see this site banning people because they aren't true Christians or teach/preach something that other Christians disagree with (unlike many Christian discussion forums). Generally if someone claims to be a Christian the moderation team accept that is what they see themselves as and allow them into the holy huddle room. We don't like branding people liars even if we think they are.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

By Grace
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by By Grace »

[Replying to post 5 by otseng]

Yes, I would like to join that site.

FYI I am one to quickly pick up what seem like they are contradictions to the things I understand, and I understand that as a Newbie, my comprehension about this site is limited. Therefore I am asking as a quest for understanding:

this seems to be a restricted group, and that the wording is such that any person who disagrees with the LDS is not tolerated. The words in the group's description are very contrary (IMHO) to having an "open board" where anyone can post without having to adhere to the beliefs of the main group.

Is this to be a "safe haven" for the LDS community when it describes this as thus?
LDS
Group description: Anyone who ascribes to and honors the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Baptism a requirement? Yes, but we'll be on the honor system.
Group membership: This is an open group: click to request membership

otseng
Savant

Post #8

Post by otseng »

By Grace wrote: Is this to be a "safe haven" for the LDS community when it describes this as thus?
LDS
Group description: Anyone who ascribes to and honors the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Baptism a requirement? Yes, but we'll be on the honor system.
Group membership: This is an open group: click to request membership
I'm not sure what you're asking. This forum is not a "safe haven" for anybody.

Do you want to join the LDS usergroup?

By Grace
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by By Grace »

[Replying to post 8 by otseng]

If I confused anyone with my reply, I apologize, and it was unintentional.

Instead, I was asking about the description of the group, which I took from the description page.

My impression was that due to the "requirement for baptism" that was mentioned, and the requirement to be (paraphrasing) in full sympathy with the Church of Jesus Christ, later Day Saints" was that it was a closed group.

However if you say that it is an open group, then there is a distinct possibility that I may join. Being a newbie is not easy! And I have an aversion to getting into trouble with the mods during my first posts :yes:

Wootah
Savant

Post #10

Post by Wootah »

In my opinion ignore the groups and just participate. Over time you will get used to the laissez-faire nature of the site. Just be civil.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."