Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

A rule on "who is a Christian"

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

So, I am a little confused. I was recently met with this response:
liamconnor wrote:

I do not know what definition of "Christian" you are using. The origins of the term are "followers of Christ", and belief in his resurrection seemed to be essential to this. So I will have to say, no, you are not a Christian as "Christian" has been defined since its earliest usage.

And now you are rejecting my claim to be a Christian. They just made a new rule on this forum stating that you are not permitted to do this.
The responder obviously was leveling against me a rule here. The rule was that members cannot deny other members the description "Christian". Is this true?

To clarify, The responder does not believe Jesus was resurrected. He does not believe the Biblical God exists. He has made this extremely apparent.

Yet he claims there is a rule for saying that members here cannot say another member is not a Christian.

If this is true, it is quite upsetting, as "Christian" is simply a designation of beliefs. I propose it at least means (and I have historical evidence) "belief in the resurrection of Jesus".

Now, if this is opposed by the authorities--and I hope it will not be--but if so, then I will be forced to propose that "atheist" includes "belief in God"; after all, Christians were accused of being "atheists" in the early days of Rome, and they believed in God; they simply did not believe in many gods.

I could as well claim that I am a Muslim, on the ground that I believe in the God of "Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob", as all Muslims do.

I do not need to explain to the authorities here how chaotic this would be for debates. Definitions matter.

So, can we please clarify the position on religious definitions?

The post was #35 Inerrancy and Apologetics.

Wootah
Savant

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

You most definitely are able to argue within the context of debate that faith X or Y is not Christian. All you can't do is spuriously accuse someone of being a non Christian.

For instance in a debate I would show that Jehovah's Witness are not Christian but the forum member Jehovah's Witness self identifies as one and i wont argue against that.

Most of the time it's a label that has no meaning within each debate.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: A rule on "who is a Christian"

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

liamconnor wrote: I do not need to explain to the authorities here how chaotic this would be for debates. Definitions matter.

I think that would be a GREAT idea. However, I don't think it would go over too well in practice.

Who is going to decide what the criteria is for being a Christian?

One of Liamconnor's requirements is that a Christian must believe in the resurrection of Jesus. But that would disqualify quite a few so-called "Christians" that debate on this forum regularly, including one major poster who is also a moderator who constantly argues against the divinity of Jesus yet insists that he is a "Christian".

I'm actually in agreement with Liamconnor.

I believe that a "Christian" should necessarily believe and agree to all of the following and much more:

1. The inerrancy of the entire Old Testament.

Why? Well because Jesus is supposed to be the Son of that specific God. And if that God is rejected as described in the Old Testament then it no longer makes any sense in holding out that Jesus is HIS Son.

2. A Christian must believe in the entire Virgin Birth story of Jesus since this is described in such extreme detail in the Christian Gospels.

3. A Christian must believe that a God spoke from the clouds proclaiming Jesus to be his Son.

After all the Gospels repeatedly make this claim, and if we want to claim that the Gospels represent the absolute truth, then we can't simultaneously be claiming that they are filled with errors and/or fibs.

4. A Christian must believe that many saints were jostled from their graves by an earthquake and went into the Holy City to show themselves to the people there.

Either believe this, or reject the entire Gospel of Matthew as being untrustworthy and highly questionable.

5. They must believe that a Christian can drink any deadly thing and it won't harm them. And that a Christian can miraculously heal the sick by simply laying their hands on them.

If they fail to believe this, then the Gospel of Mark has been rejected as being untrustworthy and errant.

6. They must believe that God feeds the birds as the Gospels have Jesus proclaiming

7. They must believe that Jesus is the sole judge of man and that the Father God judges no one.

They must either believe this or place the writings of John in question.

8. They must believe that there exist righteous people who will earn their own way to heaven as Mathew Claims Jesus has said.

9. They must believe that 99 out of every 100 people who go to heaven do so because of their own righteousness as per the Gospel of Luke.

10. If they believe in the Gospel of Paul they must believe that all men are sinners and no man is righteous.

11. And yes, they must believe that Jesus miraculously rose from the dead and ascended upward, taking his wounded physical body with him, to sit at the right hand of God as the Judge of all humanity as per the Gospel tales.

I would agree with all of this and much more. :D

But clearly Christians are not restricted to be required to believe any of this. They can believe whatever they want. And therefore the term has basically become totally meaningless.

I agree. But once that has been permitted, then anyone can claim to be a "Christian" since it is so ill-defined that anyone can redefine the term to mean anything they so desire.

~~~~~~

I would like to also point out that Liamconnor himself totally focuses on the resurrection of Jesus to the exclusion of all other claims made in the Christian Gospels and Old Testament. He's only interested in proclaiming that the resurrection of Jesus is a verified historical event, and refuses to discuss any of the other obvious problems with the Christian doctrines.

It seems to me that if he wants to demand what other people must believe about this religion, then they should be permitted to demand what he must believe as well. :D-
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #4

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to post 1 by liamconnor]

Long story short, the rule is about not labeling other people. If this is a favorite debate tactic, then it will have to be dropped or run afoul of this rule. It's pointless anyways and does not advance debate.

If someone claims a label for themselves, you have no right to claim otherwise. You are free to discuss with them why they choose that label, but you have no right to claim they are wrong in how they label themselves.

I think the rules intent is a good one. Focus on discussing ideas, not on slapping labels on other people. If someone has chosen a confusing label for themselves, well so be it. Attack their debate points, not their character.

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

liamconnor wrote: I do not need to explain to the authorities here how chaotic this would be for debates. Definitions matter.

I agree definitions matter. But the forum is not going to provide a definition for what is a Christian. You ask any Christian and they will give a different answer. This problem is not the monopoly of Christians, but almost every label you can think of. Atheists cannot agree on what is an atheist. Evolutionists cannot agree on what is an evolutionist. People can't even agree on what is a person.

For debate purposes, I'd suggest providing your definition in your OP. People can then debate using that definition for sake of argument. Please see Tips on starting a debate topic:
6. Offer definitions if possible.

A lot of time can be wasted by not having a consensus on terminology. This can hopefully be avoided by offering definitions of words used in the OP.

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

It wasn't that long ago that I was being labelled a Christian, simply because i do not ordinarily dis 'Christians'.

I do think though that it becomes confusing for the reader when members take on labels which don't actually describe the position that they most often argue from, and calling oneself a "Christian" whilst also attacking the generic doctrines of Christendom is a tactic which is questionable. Tactics don't arise from rule-sets. They arise from personalities, and some rule-sets favor questionable personalities.

Perhaps that is the reason Christianity has taken the path it has.

If someone has chosen confusing contradictory labels for themselves as a tactic of debate, then their approach is questionable. How they respond to the questions reveals their character, but since members characters are considered too 'holy' to question in a debate setting (unless they are the GOD of the OT or other disliked non members of the forum) 'Attack their debate points, not their character.'

Mind you, some of the 'debate points' are caricature.

It's a slippery slope.

Often the BEST debater - (and the award goes toooooo.....) is regarded as the one who can take up any position and argue successfully for that position - and that is something both politicians and lawyers are renowned for and it is considered to be a legitimate skill. Often this is confused with being liars!!
So whomever is the BEST debater on this forum will most likely fit the profile of someone who is able to slip from one costume to the other with relative ease and a dexterity which could only derive from years of honing ones debating skills for the purpose of being a consistent WINNER!

:evil_laugh:

As it stands, for the most part the actual person in online forums is obscured behind all manner of titles, some of these are even a contradiction to the positions they most often identify with.

So I think that it would be very difficult to actually debate their actual character, because of this obscurity. What is often being debated is the falseness of the persona rather than the actual personality behind the persona, who remains obscure.

In that, one is simply debating the character of the sock-puppet. so the rules are protecting the sock-puppets character rather than the actual personality hiding behind the sock-puppet.

The confusion only arises when the sock-puppet is given permission to speak on behalf of the character of the puppeteer, (which of course is another way of saying that the puppeteer uses his/her sock-puppet screen name and group identifications for that purpose ) effectively making it hard to pin the person down as to their true position - and some debating techniques are simply not designed to represent truthfulness.

Not that i am saying that one ought not practice debating from an opposite position to one's real one as a means of gaining some insight into how opposition think, but generally this need always be done openly - as in - one lets the reader know that this is what is going on in that particular circumstance.

The changing of horses in mid stream may indeed be a winning tactic of debate where the rules of debate allow for it, but it can never be an honest one.

Not that the world we live in expects individuals to win through honesty - the lines are blurred sufficiently through the medium of social law allowing for dishonesty to make winners of individuals as well, and we all know what kind of a world that has produced for every society which practices them.

And certainly fingers can indeed be pointed at Christendom and the Abrahamic religions in general for employing such practices, just as certainly as they can be pointed at other institutions outside of Christendom.

The idea of truthfulness is to be consistent with one's criticisms - point the finger where the problems are but don't turn a blind eye to 'other' just because one's favorite punching bag is "Christian". Lift ones gaze to identify the full extent of the problem and refrain from hypocrisy...that may not be great debating advice, but it is still worthy of great and honest consideration.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #7

Post by OnceConvinced »

Here is an example of the problem Liam. A list I have been keeping and updating. It shows a number of our theist members, past and present and what they believe is needed to consider oneself to be a true Christian:

Must follow the teachings of Christ (Elijah John, Onewithhim, JehovahsWitness)
Must believe in the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ for mankind. (Vanguard, Onewithhim)
Must love God with your whole heart (2timothy316, JehovahsWitness, Onewithhim)
Must repent of your sins to God. (Yahu, JLB32168, Volbrigade)
Must preach the same things Jesus preaches. (Dropship, Onewithhim)
Must not commit the same sins over and over (Faithful One, Onewithhim)
Must recognise Jehovah as the true god (JehovahsWitness, Onewithim)
Must have no doubts (Faithful One)
Must be anointed with the holy spirit. (Tam)
Must be someone that everybody likes (Dropship)
Must not dance to the world's tune (Dropship)
Must believe that Jesus is the son of God (Onewithim)
Must do the father’s will (Onewithhim)
There is nothing we can do. It’s all up to God (ttruscott)
Must have a spirit of constant repentance (JLB32168)
Must obey God's commandments (1213)

Can you see the futility of a site like this attempting to define "who is a Christian"? Even the basics are not agreed upon, even though many Christians claim that they all have the same basics. And even if you could agree on the basics, how do we determine that any Christian member can put a tick next to them? For instance, how can we tell whether a member is say anointed with the holy spirit? Those here who claim to be anointed by the holy spirit don't appear to have any extraordinary wisdom.

What do you determine makes a true Christian, Liam? What would be your rule?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Wootah
Savant

Post #8

Post by Wootah »

Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Overcomer
Guru

Post #9

Post by Overcomer »

There are a set of primary doctrines that Christians have always held to since the early days of the apostolic church. Those doctrines are:

There is only one true God. He exists as a Trinity -- he is one God who exists in three persons, those persons being God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit.

Jesus came to earth as God Incarnate. He has always existed as God. His deity is not in question.

Jesus died on the cross to atone for the sins of humanity. Salvation is through him and him alone. Salvation is by faith in him alone.

Jesus rose from the dead and sits at the right-hand of God. He will return at some unknown point.

The Bible is the inspired, inerrant Word of God.

These are the basic tenets of the orthodox (small "o") Christian church or the traditional Christian church, if you will. While there have been -- and still are -- those who have contested them down through the years, they have not changed. But history attests to the constancy of orthodox Christianity.

There are secondary doctrines (i.e. baptism by sprinkling vs. full immersion; gifts of the Spirit ceased vs. gifts of Spirit are active currently, etc.), but they are debatable. The primary ones are not. The secondary ones have nothing to do with salvation. That's what makes them secondary. You can believe wrongly about them and still be saved.

So there is a yardstick by which beliefs can be measured when it comes to Christianity, a yardstick that has been in place for almost 2,000 years. Anybody, of course, can call himself or herself a Christian no matter what they believe -- and they do!

Overcomer
Guru

just thinking . . . .

Post #10

Post by Overcomer »

I have been thinking further about this and I think there are three issues at play here.

1. The idea of self-identification has become all-important in our society. We see this most obviously with transgenderism. A man can self-identify as a woman and we are all expected to go along with it. Perhaps it's the same thing with religion. However one identifies one's self religiously is not to be contested.

2. We have lost the idea of religious truth. People think no one can prove what they believe re: God. Therefore, no one has the right to try to say someone else is wrong about what they believe re: God.

3. Religion has become privatized. It's something people say we should practise in our homes and in buildings designated for that purpose, but we're to leave it out of the public square.

Perhaps one or all of these would make good topics for discussion elsewhere in the forum.